Super Bowl Commercials - IMO... boring

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2021, 08:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny32162 View Post
“Over-covering the race thing”, sorry, but to me, that is a strange statement. We probably live in the least diverse bubble in the country. How can it be over-covering to have commercials reflect the rest of America. Get a life and worry about something important such as all the childhood poverty in this country.
oh Nanny. Do the Math (percentages). It DOES NOT reflect the "rest of America". eyes open. I was just making a factual statement. Oh BTW, I have a WONDERFUL life - even in this "least diverse bubble in the country". As for the "Childhood poverty in this country" - what are YOU doing about it, other than lip service. How about the HUGE issue of schools NOT opening - which BTW contributes to the "poverty".

BTW - Facts- so in order to have 'equity' (the new word now) 13% of the actors in all the SB commercials should have been "B".

Race and Ethnicity Percentage of the total population. United States

White 62.0%197Million
Hispanic16.9% 53.9M
Black 12.6% 40.2M
Asian 5.2%16.6M
Mixed 2.3%7.20M
Other 1.0% 3.27M

and...67% of NFL players are African-American. 'equity'? are "we" upset - of course not.
I am simply providing FACTS.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Why would you have a bunch of dancers dressed in nice jackets and pants with Jock Straps over their head. I don't get it. Worst Super Bowl half time show. Even if "Weekend" can sing, you couldn't hear him. How come he got out of Canada? I thought the borders were closed. Remember those great Bud commercials? Sorry, Sunday's commercials were horrible. When I was a teacher in NY, I would spend Mondays in Advertising class going over the SuperBowl commercials. I wouldn't waste class time on them now.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."
Old 02-09-2021, 09:18 AM
Gold member

I did not enjoy the ads either. But, what's wrong with advertisers targeting Millennials? That is where their current and future market is.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

The Villages Florida[/QUOTE]

That photo of Bruce Springstein reminds me of the banjo player in Deliverence!
Old 02-09-2021, 09:26 AM

And now I will not buy a Jeep. To say that we are now the reunited stares of America??? By whose standard? Thumbs down to Jeep.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I really enjoy watching commercials ONE time each year - SuperBowl. In past years there were some extremely enjoyable ones. This year - IMO - so very underwhelmed. Seems so many were targeting Millenials et al. The only one that stands out for me is the GM elec car/Norway commercial with Will Ferrell.. Almost ALL the others...thumbs down. However we did notice one thing. Let me phrase this politically-correct-like. The vast majority of commercials seemed to be over-covering the race-thing. Nothing wrong with that, but - are we the only ones that noticed that?
Just me but I thought all but maybe 2 were terrible. Same for half time show, it was geared for one generation! Sorry, but the Super Bowl was a flop!
Old 02-09-2021, 10:33 AM

He was selling unity which the country could use more of imho.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The Villages Florida
That photo of Bruce Springstein reminds me of the banjo player in Deliverence![/QUOTE]

LOL.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Were not millennials so we don't speak that language
Old 02-09-2021, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default No Comment On The Jeep Commercial??

The Jeep Commercial featuring Bruce Springsteen was one of the best Super Bowl commercials I’ve seen in years.

No comment on it here? I wonder what the hidden meaning of that might be?
Old 02-09-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny32162 View Post
“Over-covering the race thing”, sorry, but to me, that is a strange statement. We probably live in the least diverse bubble in the country. How can it be over-covering to have commercials reflect the rest of America. Get a life and worry about something important such as all the childhood poverty in this country.
Yep childhood poverty would be a thing of the past if Mom and Dad had jobs. As a side note I enjoy living in "the least diverse bubble in the country".
Old 02-09-2021, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I really enjoy watching commercials ONE time each year - SuperBowl. In past years there were some extremely enjoyable ones. This year - IMO - so very underwhelmed. Seems so many were targeting Millenials et al. The only one that stands out for me is the GM elec car/Norway commercial with Will Ferrell.. Almost ALL the others...thumbs down. However we did notice one thing. Let me phrase this politically-correct-like. The vast majority of commercials seemed to be over-covering the race-thing. Nothing wrong with that, but - are we the only ones that noticed that?
Perhaps the word "Harping" might be a good one? You cannot change anyone's heart by lecturing and criticizing. I have more to say, but do not want to get in trouble. Again.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:25 PM
Default Subliminal messages

Posted on next page

Last edited by Marty94; 02-09-2021 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Repeated on next page
Old 02-09-2021, 12:26 PM

I agree with you in regards to majority of the commercials. I did like the one about the woman receiving the phone call telling her they have a daughter if she could adopt from Siberia. The unfortunate part is the girl had a rare leg disease and would have to have her legs amputated. Sad you would think at first. But the lady was positive and the young girl ended up being a Paralympic athlete in swimming. A good story.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:28 PM
Default Disappointed

I watched the game with my 27 year old son and we were disappointed in the commercials although we both laughed at the GM “No Way, Norway” Will Ferrell one. When the halftime show came on, I had to ask my son, “who is that?” He explained that The Weekend had a few hit song last year and started singing along... okay, I guess I get it... appealing to the younger generation.... but then the whole face mask people showed up. That was disturbing, which even my son admitted was kinda strange. What made me finally head out for a drink refill was the singer’s run through a fun house on a selfie stick which put my vertigo into overdrive. It left me feeling nauseous, much like the commercials which lacked a modicum of creativity.
Closed Thread

Tags
commercials, year, imo, ferrell, thumbs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.