Super Market Prices

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Gold member

Is the op talking about public or winn Dixie?
Old 07-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Platinum member
Default corn and food prices

You have to also remember that so much corn is now going into ethanol production, combining this with droughts and you have less feed for the beef and other animals we eat.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:55 PM

I think those prices might be found in or around The Villages.
As stated before you will have to shop the weekly ads, hit 5 different stores and a farmers market. An all day affair. Food prices in FL are definitely higher than Texas or even upstate NY. Last week we bought Maine lobsters for $5.99 a pound.
I liked the snippy comments though.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Sage

I don't know what I'd do if I still had to feed a family of 4. I"d have to have a second job I think. I never get out of Publix or Walmart for under $100 and usually manage to spend that much at Sam's Club also.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-12-2015, 01:09 PM

It's all relative and affects people differently. People who have plenty of money and could care less or eat out all the time verses people who live on a much more limited income and cannot eat out all the time=a big difference. I think for some people the grocery store prices are very comparable to where they came from but for others(maybe many others) the prices are much higher and have a larger impact on their lives.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 07-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Sage

There is definitely some sort of monopolistic pricing going on in Florida. I think if NY had these high prices US Senator Chuck Schumer would have a Sunday Press conference stating he is against high grocery prices.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Lot of jabs toward a fellow full time Villager on vacation in Massachusetts just trying to pass on a little info that was discussed in several threads before.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Lot of jabs toward a fellow full time Villager on vacation in Massachusetts just trying to pass on a little info that was discussed in several threads before.
Perhaps it was the anyone getting these prices in TV that ruffled feathers. I took that as an insult.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Is Marblehead a nice area?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marblehead,_Massachusetts

Marblehead MA is a town north of Boston on the coast. It is mostly a residential town and has a special place in US History. Lived there for 29 years and raised our family there. It unfortunately has winter and we left for The Villages as we retired and have not regretted our move.

We always come back in the summer for a vacation to visit our son and family.

But especially to overdose on the cheap milk we buy at The Market Basket.
{joke}
Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Could have said that leading off. Communication is so important to understanding.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Is Marblehead a nice area?
Marblehead is is a very high rent district with lots of mansions on the ocean.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Marblehead is is a very high rent district with lots of mansions on the ocean.
But apparently pretty good grocery prices!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But apparently pretty good grocery prices!
As mentioned above, "MARKET BASKET" is the reason his prices are so good. Market Basket has a chain of stores in the North East and their prices are kept well below other food stores in the area. They are privately owned and this is what their owner said recently: “We keep it as simple as possible for people,” he said. “We keep costs low and quality high. We keep the stores clean and offer service with a smile. And if at the end of the day you have some success, then you share that with the associates.”

A good business mantra.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-13-2015, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'm not sure what the point of all of this is, but for me personally, I am not going to decide where I'm going to live based on the fact that I might save ten or twenty dollars a week in the supermarket.

I'm also not going to spend most of my day running from store to store in order to save nine cents on a gallon of milk.

But that's just me.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmemac View Post
It's all relative and affects people differently. People who have plenty of money and could care less or eat out all the time verses people who live on a much more limited income and cannot eat out all the time=a big difference. I think for some people the grocery store prices are very comparable to where they came from but for others(maybe many others) the prices are much higher and have a larger impact on their lives.
Well said with good points and without sarcasm. Nice adult response! Not everyone here is as privileged as to not have to care what the food we put in our mouths cost.
Closed Thread

Tags
prices, eggs, $3.99/lb, ham, virginia, cheese, $3.59/lb, sliced, large, american, $2.49/doz, high, $2.59, boston, marblehead, north, market, salem, gal, milk, super, bought, supermarket, today, white

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.