Technical question: How to avoid being tracked

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2022, 07:26 AM

You can also use what is called an "incognito" screen using Chrome.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I wish I could have come up with a more explanatory title to explain the help I'm seeking--apologies in advance.
I'm trying to find flights to Australia to visit family. Yesterday the premium economy return (i.e, round trip) flights were about $4K. Today on the same sites they're $5K+. I have heard that through tracking "they," whoever "they" is, know you're looking and raise the prices. (I've had this happen before: example, when searching for a 7-lb medical weight bar, it was $40 one day and $80 the next, whereas the 8-lb bar was $40. for the same bar on the same site on both days. But I hadn't clicked on the 8-lb bar.)

I thought I heard there was a way to do a new search for the same thing and have your prior search not visible to the sites. I'm sure I'm not using the right terminology, but any help would be appreciated.
FYI, I use a Dell Windows 11 and Firefox, although we do have an Mac Pro that we use to Face Time the grandkids. So possibly I could just switch computers?
You really have to do a lot of homework. Some days of the weak are cheaper than others. This wasn’t a problem when I lived in NY because Planes fly everywhere out of JFK. MCO doesn’t fly everywhere even though it’s an international airport. After over 2 months of looking everyday I finally found a good flight at a decent price to the Philippines. It’s a chore, no doubt
Old 02-10-2022, 01:33 PM

Clear the cookies. Thats what's following you and jacking up the price.
1. Click the menu button on your browser's toolbar (it looks like 3 dots on the far right)
2. Click on Settings
3. Click on advanced Settings
Find the "Privacy" section, and click "content settings"
4. Find the "cookies" section and click "delete cookies.
This is for Google Chrome. If you use a different browser, just google the question.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:28 PM
Default Airlines control seats and fare

Search engines (Google) track your requested subject. The airlines control seat availability and the fares. The difference in fares ,except for FULL Coach and First Class, is based on demand and day of the week. A certain number of seats is allocated to each fare type. As these seats/fares become less available, or the number of days before departure decrease, the fare is increased.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I wish I could have come up with a more explanatory title to explain the help I'm seeking--apologies in advance.
I'm trying to find flights to Australia to visit family. Yesterday the premium economy return (i.e, round trip) flights were about $4K. Today on the same sites they're $5K+. I have heard that through tracking "they," whoever "they" is, know you're looking and raise the prices. (I've had this happen before: example, when searching for a 7-lb medical weight bar, it was $40 one day and $80 the next, whereas the 8-lb bar was $40. for the same bar on the same site on both days. But I hadn't clicked on the 8-lb bar.)

I thought I heard there was a way to do a new search for the same thing and have your prior search not visible to the sites. I'm sure I'm not using the right terminology, but any help would be appreciated.
FYI, I use a Dell Windows 11 and Firefox, although we do have an Mac Pro that we use to Face Time the grandkids. So possibly I could just switch computers?
Pull up a webpage, any webpage. Go to the far right, just below the "X" to close the browser, you will see three dots (...), click on that. You will see either "New InPrivate Window" or "New Incognito Window", click on that.

OR, the fast easy way: Ctrl + Chift + N
Old 02-11-2022, 09:07 AM
Veteran member

If you just want to avoid getting spam from your search, use DuckDuckGo or the Brave browser. But don't think for a minute that you are not being tracked. Every device that uses the web has a unique ID code (that is how they get the info you are asking for back to you), So when you ask for something on the web, your service provider stores that ID.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Sometimes, if I know I'm going to purchase something but am not in a hurry, I will put the item in my cart (works on some websites) and let it sit in there for a few days. I will sometimes start getting emails reminding me of an item left in my cart, and those reminders occasionally contain 10, 20, or even 30% off offers.

Win!!
I’ve done that also.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

For 5 days I went online with 3 different travel sights along with Continental Airlines searching flights.
Round trip flights were between $1995 thru $2600 never was just fixed on one price.
What site might you be connecting to?
Closed Thread

Tags
bar, flights, heard, search, sites

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.