They are dropping "Boy"....

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2024, 07:58 AM
Default They are dropping "Boy"....

news:

For the first time in its history, The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is set to change its name as it seeks to foster a more inclusive organization.

The rebranding will go into effect on Feb. 8, 2025, the organization’s 115th anniversary, when it will become known as "Scouting America".

Officials say the name change aims to make everyone feel welcome, while the move is also being seen as an attempt to move on from bankruptcy following a flood of sexual abuse claims. Last year BSA agreed to pay $2.46 billion to settle claims by some 82,000 former Boy Scouts who said they had been sexually abused by BSA officials and volunteers.

-----------------------------

Next change will be "They/Them Scouts of America".???
Old 05-08-2024, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,637 Times in 3,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylt View Post
news:

For the first time in its history, The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is set to change its name as it seeks to foster a more inclusive organization.

The rebranding will go into effect on Feb. 8, 2025, the organization’s 115th anniversary, when it will become known as "Scouting America".

Officials say the name change aims to make everyone feel welcome, while the move is also being seen as an attempt to move on from bankruptcy following a flood of sexual abuse claims. Last year BSA agreed to pay $2.46 billion to settle claims by some 82,000 former Boy Scouts who said they had been sexually abused by BSA officials and volunteers.

...if only men could keep their hands off of little boys, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Don't blame "woke" for this. It was men abusing boys that caused this.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
...if only men could keep their hands off of little boys, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Don't blame "woke" for this. It was men abusing boys that caused this.
"foster a more inclusive organization" has WOKE written all over.

So, this name change will stop men from abusing boys????
Old 05-08-2024, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,637 Times in 3,157 Posts

Quote:
"foster a more inclusive organization" has WOKE written all over.

So, this name change will stop men from abusing boys????
They also let girls in the scouts way back, in 2017. Perhaps you missed the memo. Girls have been in the "boy" scouts for 7 years. Doesn't really make much sense to keep it the "Boy" scouts when it hasn't been exclusively for boys for all this time. The only surprise to me is that it took this long to change the name.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
news:

Whats your point?
I'm not a proponent of pronouns either but kid touchers irritate me more than pronouns. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other in that respect. Agree with OBB. Ever notice most BSA meetings, historically, have been held on church campuses?! That has more relevance than your premise!
Old 05-08-2024, 08:39 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,776 Posts

Hasn't the Roman Catholic Church been experiencing the same problem? Are altar boys still called altar boys?

Clergy Sex Abuse Lawsuits & Claims | AbuseLawsuit.com

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-08-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Whats your point?
I'm not a proponent of pronouns either but kid touchers irritate me more than pronouns. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other in that respect. Agree with OBB. Ever notice most BSA meetings, historically, have been held on church campuses?! That has more relevance than your premise!
Not my point, simply reporting the news re this.

But my point now is that a name change will not impact the long-standing issue of some "men" taking advantage of boys. Considering the societal issue re some men....liking boys - AND girls, a grouping of them will always be threatening. Despite a name change...
Old 05-08-2024, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,497 Posts

IMO Most infamous and vile Boy Scout on planet. John Joseph Joubert IV. How many heard of this guy?

Last edited by Topspinmo; 05-08-2024 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,232 Times in 2,813 Posts

Dam, I’m glad I grew old when I did. Our generation was lucky
Old 05-08-2024, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Dam, I’m glad I grew old when I did. Our generation was lucky ������
IMO just wasn’t reported. Before day of computer and smart phone….
Old 05-08-2024, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,122 Posts

There are no periods in the Boy Scouts where this wasn’t happening , just inone period 1965 to 1985 , they were forced to hand over files that showed over 1200 documented cases , but they kept so called perversion files all the way back to the 1920’s , where there are children ,there are always going to be these acts , but I agree with OBB , you have Girl Scouts members now and that’s a good thing , so a new name is the right way to go . What I wonder was why the poster starting this thread anyway , what was the point , OH I Know , changing the name was sooooooo Woke I guess
Old 05-08-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Dam, I’m glad I grew old when I did. Our generation was lucky ������
I spent a lot of years in the boys scouts and didn't have any knowledge of this going on if it did. I guess I was lucky.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:19 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,210 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
There are no periods in the Boy Scouts where this wasn’t happening , just inone period 1965 to 1985 , they were forced to hand over files that showed over 1200 documented cases , but they kept so called perversion files all the way back to the 1920’s , where there are children ,there are always going to be these acts , but I agree with OBB , you have Girl Scouts members now and that’s a good thing , so a new name is the right way to go . What I wonder was why the poster starting this thread anyway , what was the point , OH I Know , changing the name was sooooooo Woke I guess
Funny how the Usual Suspects here get triggered by the Woke word….
Old 05-08-2024, 09:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,350 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Hasn't the Roman Catholic Church been experiencing the same problem? Are altar boys still called altar boys?

Clergy Sex Abuse Lawsuits & Claims | AbuseLawsuit.com
Been altar servers for decades.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO just wasn’t reported. Before day of computer and smart phone….
Yep! "A rose" (or skunk) by any other name still smells"

😷😵*💫🤧
Closed Thread

Tags
change, bsa, boy, america, scouts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.