Thoughts on use of pot.

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I just don't feel it should be smoked in public. Not even in places where smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol is allowed (like outdoor bars, cigar + cognac lounges, etc). Unlike nicotine, cannibis smoke, second-hand, CAN create a mind-altering effect.
Since it is still illegal at the Federal level, there are many jobs, clearances, and benefits that are mandated to be no where near it. Its one of the few "vices" that a nearby non-user can register a false-positive even with non-use.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:57 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
The War on Drugs acts as a price support guarantee for the Drug cartels, Americans WANT drugs, and they will pay whatever it costs to get them.

Poor kids from the inner-city have to make a choice - stand on a corner and sell drugs and get rich, buy guns, cars, and sex, or flip burgers for less than minimum wage. Since they need to protect themselves and their stash, they need to have guns. Because the other kids have guns, expensive handguns become an affordable cost of doing business, leading to the arms race with the police departments and the formation of gangs to help control turf for drug markets.

The drug war is possibly the worst policy this country has ever conceived of; whether or not you think drugs should be legal, there has to be a better way to deal with the drug "problems."

And let's not conflate the war on drugs and the separate issue of making marijuana illegal. Making MJ illegal started long before Nixon when the government first commissioned a study to determine if MJ was harmful or dangerous, and the report came back that it wasn't. That was not an acceptable outcome, so they announced that "more studies are needed." And the "More studies are needed" has been constantly repeated ever since - almost 100 years now (1937).

There is no doubt that inhaling smoke from a burning plant is hazardous. There is also evidence that marijuana can have adverse side effects. But, it's a matter of degree. And there are safer ways to take MJ - such as tinctures and edibles.

The old "reefer madness" (government slogan predating "brain on drugs") is simply a flat-out lie.

I believe there is still no evidence of ANYONE ever dying from an overdose of MJ, but many die from overdoses of Alcohol.

There is little or no evidence of automobile accidents resulting from or caused by MJ use. (30,000 die in Auto accidents annually, and the majority have Alcohol associated with them)

I don't believe there has ever been a bar fight with MJ as a cause, yet violence is a common side effect of Alcohol.

MJ is known to cause brain damage but about 10% of the brain damage caused by Alcohol.

Alcohol is addictive; MJ is not addictive.

It goes on and on.

If you can't tell, I am in favor of legalization.

There is NO serious evidence of MJ being a problem or a gateway. On the contrary, there is significant evidence that it is useful in treating numerous diseases and health conditions.

To all the people who comment that they have seen how much damage it can do to people's lives, I suggested some people will destroy their lives with some drug - MJ is not a gateway; it is simply inexpensive and readily available. Once a person has contacts with the black market criminals they buy from, it is a small step to get hard drugs from the same market. Pushers will often offer "free samples". But, again, it is not the MJ that causes the problem; it is forcing people to use illegal channels to get drugs.

I would remind everyone what happened when Alcohol was prohibited - mobs (like the Kennedys) got rich, and many people died. Just like what has been happening ever since we decided to make drugs illegal.
If you state something as a fact, it should actually be a fact. Actually alcohol accounts for less than 30% of auto deaths - not the majority of them.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:10 PM
Default Thoughts on use of Pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I read that 75% of Americans support the decriminalization of the use of Marijuana.

Do you?
People can become addicted to anything, including Fantasy Football. Seen it happen to friends. Yes, I quit. Lol!

I think many of us smoked pot back in college. I know I did, and I graduated with a 3.6 average. So too did my frat friends who drank alcohol like crazy. So who knows.

I think none of us want to admit to smoking pot - you know, like Bill, we just inhaled. And none of my fraternity friends want to admit to the crazy alcohol parties they participated in every weekend.

I haven’t smoked pot since 1984, over 37 years ago. But I do now see where it is helping some of our Vets with PTSD, and people with cancer, Multiple Sclerosis, and other debilitating issues. I say, anything that helps them.

As far as recreational use, well if you use alcohol and say no, I think that’s hypocritical. Legalize it and tax it. That brings in revenue. Legalize it and eliminate the criminal element involved. That cuts expenses and keeps our police safer. I think that’s a win-win all around.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarAirlines View Post
Since it is still illegal at the Federal level, there are many jobs, clearances, and benefits that are mandated to be no where near it. Its one of the few "vices" that a nearby non-user can register a false-positive even with non-use.
When applying for the FBI, you could not have smoked weed for the last 3 years. And never before the age of 18.

Today, applying for the FBI, no weed ONE year before submitting application. The no weed, before age 18 still applies.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
In Holland annually, the cannabis coffee shops generate an estimated 400 million euros in tax – money that would otherwise have accrued to criminal profiteers.
Thats from a population of just over 17 million.
With a population nearly 20 times as great, that's a lot of dosh to put against the national debt in USA. if it was legalised.
Probably why they have free health care. Ok, just making a point no fact checkers please.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:38 PM
Default Excellent points throughout this thread

Quote:
Craving is not the same as addiction. I often crave chocolate, or cashews, or pizza. But, I would not rob a convenience store to get enough money to buy some.

Also, there is the use disorder or emotional addiction to substances, so, in their case, it could be a "crutch" as opposed to actual physical addiction.

I am NOT downplaying emotional addiction or use disorders, they are serious. But they are not physically dependent on the substance, they are a psychological or mental disorder.
You continue to provide excellent points and facts. Very much in agreement.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:43 PM
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Talk about convoluted logic, now they can’t hold a job because they’re stoned and they have to rob, steal and burglarize to support their out of touch with reality life.
Excellent example of convoluted logic yourself. Quite the jump you are making.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art cov View Post
A friend just came back from New Orleans. Where he stayed (French quarter) it’s legal there. He said the place stunk with pot smoking and every corner had people selling it. It’s a amazing cigarette smoking is so bad for people’s health, but pot smoking does so good. Nothing bad, it stinks and destroys in the long run. Most kids who smoke weed, start with it but then try other drugs. I remember how at bus stops some of the kids smelled the bus when they got on after smoking a joint. I guess if it was in the brownies and not smoked we would’ve only knew because of their yeah man speech. But they were 13 yr olds. If you sit out on the lanai and the smoke drifts to you, what do you think? Remember pot smokers enjoy company who indulge with them. Hey, the dancing will change at the squares, it could be entertaining!
I think, just wow man! covers the response to this.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:12 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I'm a live and let live kind of guy. Don't much care what one does in the privacy of their own home. As long as they don't get high and drive or become an otherwise public nuisance, I'm fine with it.
What Kenswing said is pretty much how I feel about it.

John Boehner who opposed legalization, while in office, now sits on the board of a major cannabis company Acreage Holdings.

Although I did not often agree with Boehner during most of his career in DC, I know his neck of the woods because it is my neck of the woods, and I know people who know him, and he seems to be a relatively normal, sane person.

He has a new book On the House -- perfect title for his behind-the-scenes memoir. I saw him interviewed about his book. He seemed sooooooo relaxed -- and now rich.

Boomer (who never inhaled)

Last edited by Boomer; 07-14-2021 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Sorry, there is NO evidence that marijuana is addictive. Any substance can be emotionally addictive, but physical addition is not a problem with Marijuana.
You could not be more wrong. There is a government website that serves as an online resource for medical research. PubMed

There are hundreds of articles on the subject but here are a couple:

Cannabis Addiction and the Brain: a Review

Keep off the grass? Cannabis, cognition and addiction | Nature Reviews Neuroscience

People who try cannabis are ninefold more likely to become addicted to it than to develop psychosis. Cannabis addiction is an increasing problem globally, and no effective pharmacological treatments currently exist — this remains a major unmet clinical need.

An occasional joint will probably not cause addiction or permanent damage. The big problem is that the potency is much higher now and many lives will be destroyed by it because they believed the lie that it was a harmless drug.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
I couldn't agree more! Keeping it unlawful contributes to the criminal Cartels and the violence associated with them.
I come from a state where its legal and have contacts with LEOs and pot users, the street dealers think legalization was a great thing. They can and do undercut pot dispensaries by a wide margin, of course they pay not tax, if caught its just a license violation for sale and it has given them a larger customer base
Old 07-14-2021, 07:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
If you state something as a fact, it should actually be a fact. Actually alcohol accounts for less than 30% of auto deaths - not the majority of them.
Thank you for the correction. You are correct, almost, according to NIH the number is 25%, however I have seen other sites with other numbers up to 30%.

The number of traffic fatalities with MJ as a contributing factor is harder to determine. Sort of like COVID deaths with comorbidity. The problem is 20 and Younger make up a majority of traffic accidents, and 20 and younger make of a majority if MJ users - so, hmm. Complicates things.

Here is a study by NIH which indicates are "normal" use levels MJ users tend to over compensate correcting for their impairment, where alcohol users tend to under compensate.

NIH on Traffic accidents with Alcohol and Marijuana

And thanks again for keeping me honest here. Sometimes I get carried away posting and mis-remember "facts".
Old 07-14-2021, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Lemme tell you a couple or three things.

Make it legal.

Consume it or your own property.

If you hurt a loved one of mine while your high or drunk the judge isn't the one you have to be concerned about. Case Closed!

I smoke it a dozen times in my whole stinkin life and wasn't very good at it. Most people chilled out. Me, an aggressive individual who would take the fillings outta your toofies type of animal and then a grocery destroyer afterward.

I don't care either way really. I hope the people who are in pain that can be helped can get MJ. I was offered it and turned it down. Against the rules of another club, I belong to.

(Thinking Of tomwed) At the other club, people often share that while they were making an arrangement to purchase some weed the salesman upsold them to something else. I'm not making the news just reporting it. So the gateway thing??? Who knows, you make the call.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
You could not be more wrong. There is a government website that serves as an online resource for medical research. PubMed

There are hundreds of articles on the subject but here are a couple:

Cannabis Addiction and the Brain: a Review
I wrote a LONG reply with links and all, and decided to delete it. (which you can;'t do on this forum).

The article is one of MANY on THC by NIH. And all of them refer to how THC affects the brain, referring it the effects as "similar" to other drugs that cause substance use disorder (the term addiction is not really used anymore except in general).

The addiction I and others was referring to is the traditional referenced to addiction that results in pain and suffering during withdrawl, and the addiction that results in lying, stealing or even in some cases killing to get a fix. That is not seen in THC users. Instead even heavy users that have sudden withdrawal typical have symptoms of anxiety and depression - more similar to coffee than say cocaine, opioids, heroin, etc. Which is the type of drugs the Federal Government lists MJ as being the same as.

sigh...

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 07-14-2021 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I read that 75% of Americans support the decriminalization of the use of Marijuana.

Do you?
I support it for medicinal purposes only.

Tags
thoughts, pot, read, 75%, americans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.