Tipping

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2023, 05:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

$5 tip at any restaurnt is more than enough. Tipping encourages these uneducated wait staff to not seek a better job.

Those who overtip are trying to play Frank Sinatra. Big timers tipping 50%…while sharing the chepest meal with their spouse while drinking nothing but water.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
$5 tip at any restaurnt is more than enough. Tipping encourages these uneducated wait staff to not seek a better job.

Those who overtip are trying to play Frank Sinatra. Big timers tipping 50%…while sharing the chepest meal with their spouse while drinking nothing but water.
WOW... Your distain of waitstaff workers is astounding...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-06-2023, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:

Please stay out of restaurants and eat at home.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Agree- Must be nice to have a business where you can have the customers pay the employees wages
Old 12-06-2023, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
Agree- Must be nice to have a business where you can have the customers pay the employees wages
Customers always pay employees wages... One way or another...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Customers always pay employees wages... One way or another...
I would prefer them to pay income taxes on their wages like most people do.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would prefer them to pay income taxes on their wages like most people do.
You seem to be implying that tipped employees are not taxed on their tips. Didn't a previous discussion on that topic show that they *are* taxed on tips to include an amount calculated from the total receipts of the business?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-06-2023, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
You seem to be implying that tipped employees are not taxed on their tips. Didn't a previous discussion on that topic show that they *are* taxed on tips to include an amount calculated from the total receipts of the business?
They only pay tax on 8 percent of the restaurant's reported gross income. That is an IRS rule. But many posters are suggesting that people who tip 15 percent are undertipping. I go with the flow when tipping because money is not a consideration, but tipped employees are not paying income tax on their total income. I could be wrong, but I think restaurants are losing business because of mediocre food and service. I know that my visits to restaurants have significantly declined because of it. I think restaurants could provide better service if they had more control over their employees' income.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
They only pay tax on 8 percent of the restaurant's reported gross income. That is an IRS rule. But many posters are suggesting that people who tip 15 percent are undertipping. I go with the flow when tipping because money is not a consideration, but tipped employees are not paying income tax on their total income. I could be wrong, but I think restaurants are losing business because of mediocre food and service. I know that my visits to restaurants have significantly declined because of it. I think restaurants could provide better service if they had more control over their employees' income.
there are anumber of restaurants with good food and service:
BlueFin. Chop House Coastal del Mar, Harvest, Havana, Lopez Sakura Mezza Luna Bamboo Bistro Tequila Cantina and more.
Closed Thread

Tags
tipping, tip, private, car, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.