What do kids learn from the Halloween experience?

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Sage
Default What do kids learn from the Halloween experience?

Here are some important lessons they might learn:

1) If you want to get ahead in life, and get the candy that life has to offer, you have to misrepresent who you are. You have to pretend to be something or somebody you are not. This lesson will come in handy later in life when they have to apply for a job.

2) Sugar/candy is a valuable commodity so get as much of it as you can (collect it...save it... hoard it).

3) Candy is a psychotropic tool: Eat some to cheer yourself up when you're sad, or eat some to celebrate when you're happy.

4) It's okay to take candy from strangers.

5) Parents take their wellbeing seriously.

What they might not know is that 1 out of 10 kids have a disease called "Non-alcoholic fatty-liver disease". It happens mostly to kids who are overweight but they don't have to be overweight to get it.

Last edited by Villages PL; 10-31-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Sage

There was a news report of a woman who was giving letters to obese kids instead of candy. Personally, I find that insulting to the parents.

It's always up to the parents to control what there children eat. No control on kids eating habits can cause problems later in life as we all know.

It's a fun night for kids to dress up and enjoy the night.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Please Lord, give me patience.

They learn how much fun it is to wear costumes and go out on a "scary" night with your mom or dad. They learn to enjoy other people's costumes. They learn to say "Trick or Treat" and hopefully "Thank you." They learn to do something with a lot of people where kind people hand you treats. I loved Halloween and still do and wish we had little ones coming to the door.

Didn't you love it too, VillagePl? It is so much fun and still one of the most celebrated holidays in the ole' U.S. of A.

Try not to think of all that sugar. It won't kill you if you do it once in awhile. Even dedicated doctors and dentists tell you that.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 AM
Sage

6.) They learn that Halloween is a fun time of the year for them - something they'll always remember.

Bill
Old 10-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,331 Times in 553 Posts
Default Learn to have Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
6.) They learn that Halloween is a fun time of the year for them - something they'll always remember.

Bill
Its fun period. Almost "anything" to get some kids out of the house and away from those video games!

I still remember the fun of Halloween. We lived in a small town of 5,000 where we never heard of children having a problem when they went out to trick or treat. There are some nice alternatives now---called trunk or treat put on by Churches and other groups. boo!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009

They learn that some adults have forgotten what it was like to be a kid!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
They learn that some adults have forgotten what it was like to be a kid!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

ignoring all the special interests, minority (not race) reports and isolated incidents.....they learn to have fun and do something they do not get to do the other 364 days of the year.

I think GG summarized it perfectly......

It is fun for 98% of the population.

We get to participate in the fun by going to my son's house out on the fringe of TV where the kids come by walking, riding golf carts, tractor and hay wagons, SUV's full to the brim....hundreds/thousands(?) of kids all having FUN.

Starts at 6 and ends at 9 PM just like clock work......a real treat for us who choose to enjoy the fun things of our lives as long as possible.

Happy Halloween (and I don't know what the grinch of Christmas equivilant is for Halloween.......party pooper?).

btk
Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Here are some important lessons they might learn:

1) If you want to get ahead in life, and get the candy that life has to offer, you have to misrepresent who you are. You have to pretend to be something or somebody you are not. This lesson will come in handy later in life when they have to apply for a job.

2) Sugar/candy is a valuable commodity so get as much of it as you can (collect it...save it... hoard it).

3) Candy is a psychotropic tool: Eat some to cheer yourself up when you're sad, or eat some to celebrate when you're happy.

4) It's okay to take candy from strangers.

5) Parents take their wellbeing seriously.

What they might not know is that 1 out of 10 kids have a disease called "Non-alcoholic fatty-liver disease". It happens mostly to kids who are overweight but they don't have to be overweight to get it.
I forgot number 6) It prepares them for college: When they go away to college they will guzzle lots of booze (beer) in the spirit of "having fun". They will have learned that from Halloween and other such holidays where people stuff themselves with junk. And the lesson is: You can't be happy without it.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I forgot number 6) It prepares them for college: When they go away to college they will guzzle lots of booze (beer) in the spirit of "having fun". They will have learned that from Halloween and other such holidays where people stuff themselves with junk. And the lesson is: You can't be happy without it.
Sigh.

This is a copy of a letter that a woman in a Fargo neighborhood put in some children's trick or treat bags if she thought they were overweight.
The Villages Florida

Anonymity empowers people to do some mighty mean things.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-31-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Wow! Someone must be having a bad day. Here, have a hug and a smile! xoxo
Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Veteran member

Maybe a Candy Bar would help??
Old 10-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
Maybe a Candy Bar would help??
You are right. We aren't ourselves when we're hungry for a candy bar. I hope that no one turns into the Horseless Henchman.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

From the mouth of our 4 year old grandson: He can get dressed up as whoever he wants to be and is allowed to take candy from strangers. It only happens once a year and if he's lucky he'll get a lot of lollypops. Daddy and Mommy don't like them!
Old 10-31-2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran member

Gee OP, I and my kids took part in all the Halloween events, and all of us turned out fine. We aren't diseased or debauched or in jail. Of course, we may be a bit odd...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.