Today's column by Nancy Wood about being retired in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
She said: "First of all, they speed up your clocks and calendars when you get here to The Villages. There seem to be less hours in each day, fewer days in a week and the years absolutely fly by.....What could be more healthy?" In other words, she has nothing but praise for The Villages active lifestyle.

My thoughts: This sets up a paradoxical situation, in my opinion. If you stay active and have fun, you will likely live a little longer. But if being active and having fun leads you to perceive time as "flying by", you will, in effect, experience a shorter life.

The passing of calendar years and your perception of "time passing" doesn't always match up. Some day you will be 70, 80, or 90 and you will wonder: "Where did the time go?" You won't know because you were too busy keeping busy and having fun. That means "keeping busy and having fun" comes at a price.

If you're all booked up with appointments everyday and rushing from one event to another, you will obliterate time and it will be as though your life didn't exist. The bottom line: An active lifestyle erases time.

Is living an active lifestyle as great as it's advertised to be? Is it worth the trade-off?

I agree to totally disagree respectfully, with your point of view!!!!!

Time is an elusive concept. I have found that being busy is healthy for you if you do not too much!!! What's the alternative, stay home, relax and be bored????

It's like the joke of the older person that says, they can't go back to school and take the five years to get a dipolma, as they will be 55!!!

The other person says, in five years, your going to be 55 anyway!!!

Life is for the living. Not doing what you enjoy after working all those years, is insane. IMHO

My mother lived to 93 and her later were punctuated with comments like, "time really goes fast" and she nothing, all day. IMHO When you see the end coming, your time gets more precious to you and the time appears to go even faster.

I'm sure you'll pick my wording apart, as you ususally post contentious articles, and wait for people to bite, into this nonsensical concept when they don't agree with you.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I belong to a group that studies time travel. If you want to join us, we have decided to hold our next meeting in 1969 at Woodstock.
I would like to join this.
I have a lot of mistakes that I would like to correct.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 06-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Platinum member

One of the best things about all of the lifestyle choices in The Villages, which keep us so busy, is that you get to choose which, if any, you want to do. It's all about individual choice as to how you wile away your time. I choose to do something, until I get bored with it, and then I choose something else. Also remember, doing nothing is also a choice that I make occasionally.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Life is good for me here. There is a lot of fun and then the big paper comes again. I think life passing fast, having a good time, is far better than having lonely creeping years full of dullness and of just waiting. Thinking. Worrying whether life is passing too quickly and knowing it will end.

It is too late now to solve all the worlds problems, we may as well add to them.

AND DEAR LOVING GOD, please keep people without a sense of humor far away from me.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
I would like to join this.
I have a lot of mistakes that I would like to correct.
Would I have to raise my kids all over again?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm guessing you would have had the same reaction if you had read Nancy Wood's column.

She said: "....they speed up your clocks and calendars when you get here to the Villages. There seem to be less hours in each day, fewer days in a week and the years absolutely fly by."

What????
LOl....no..... Time always passes at a set rate, it's our perception that makes it seem faster or slower.

Enjoy your weekend PL....

Last edited by pooh; 06-06-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

When I was a small child, I actually thought OP was correct. I didn't like school, so I tried to do as little as possible on Sundays so the day would drag on. One soon learns how much better it is to participate in life. Monday always comes anyway, so you may as well enjoy Sunday to its fullest.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:17 PM

You could just sit in a chair and time would be perceived to move more slowly, but that, to me, is not living. If time flies by while I am enjoying life, so be it. At least I'll go out smiling.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Time is only a concept of the human mind. If bad things are happening , time is slow. If good things are happening, time is fast. I prefer fast. You might like to read Deepak Chopra's Timeless Mind, Ageless Body.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
<snip>
If you're all booked up with appointments everyday and rushing from one event to another, you will obliterate time and it will be as though your life didn't exist. The bottom line: An active lifestyle erases time.

Is living an active lifestyle as great as it's advertised to be? Is it worth the trade-off?
Yes. Because seeing the days, weeks and years fly by when you are happy, involved and having fun is better than watching the seconds, minutes and hours of your life slowly click away when you are are not.

It's like being a child in school, or working at a job you don't like. The weekdays drag on, but the weekends fly by. Would you give up the weekends to make life (seem to) go slower?
Old 06-07-2014, 05:47 AM
Sage
Default Great book

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Time is only a concept of the human mind. If bad things are happening , time is slow. If good things are happening, time is fast. I prefer fast. You might like to read Deepak Chopra's Timeless Mind, Ageless Body.

"Timeless Mind, Ageless Body" :
Great book, as are all of Deepak Chopra's writings..........
Old 06-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
She said: "First of all, they speed up your clocks and calendars when you get here to The Villages. There seem to be less hours in each day, fewer days in a week and the years absolutely fly by.....What could be more healthy?" In other words, she has nothing but praise for The Villages active lifestyle.

My thoughts: This sets up a paradoxical situation, in my opinion. If you stay active and have fun, you will likely live a little longer. But if being active and having fun leads you to perceive time as "flying by", you will, in effect, experience a shorter life.

The passing of calendar years and your perception of "time passing" doesn't always match up. Some day you will be 70, 80, or 90 and you will wonder: "Where did the time go?" You won't know because you were too busy keeping busy and having fun. That means "keeping busy and having fun" comes at a price.

I would like to correct a misconception that many seem to have. In my opening statement above, I didn't take a position one way or the other. I simply stated some facts and possible lifestyle outcomes. Then I ended my statement with 2 questions so as to get your opinion.

It's a fact that your perception of "time passing" can be speeded up or slowed down. That's why Einstein said: If you're sitting on a bench waiting for a bus, time goes very slow. But if you're sitting on a bench with a pretty girl, time goes fast.

I guess that was his way of saying: Time is relative.

As for me, what do I believe? I don't worry about it, I just live my life. Sometimes I'm busy having fun, like I am now, and sometimes I like some quiet time to recharge my batteries.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
........I guess that was his way of saying: Time is relative........
Well, time does seem to drag and go slow when I am with most of my relatives.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

YES to both, but I still wish you would buy a Television, kiddo.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I agree to totally disagree respectfully, with your point of view!!!!!

Time is an elusive concept. I have found that being busy is healthy for you if you do not too much!!! What's the alternative, stay home, relax and be bored????

It's like the joke of the older person that says, they can't go back to school and take the five years to get a dipolma, as they will be 55!!!

The other person says, in five years, your going to be 55 anyway!!!

Life is for the living. Not doing what you enjoy after working all those years, is insane. IMHO

My mother lived to 93 and her later were punctuated with comments like, "time really goes fast" and she nothing, all day. IMHO When you see the end coming, your time gets more precious to you and the time appears to go even faster.

I'm sure you'll pick my wording apart, as you ususally post contentious articles, and wait for people to bite, into this nonsensical concept when they don't agree with you.
Wonderful post, and I share your sentiments.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.