Tommy rant. Yo God

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post
"Oh" (I caught that.), I still say one religion should not stand out over others in a tax supported education. I also think the "political correctness" excuse gets a bad rap. Seems whenever an old, outdated or biased, belief draws attention, people like to play the politically incorrect card. There is nothing incorrect about treating all people fairly and equally.

This ............
Old 11-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Unhappy

I weNt back and read every post on this thread yet again to see if I could ascertain anything that would engender outrage, and I couldn't. Every opposing viewpoint was articulated respectfully and tactfully. The only outrage I could see came from posters who read something that didn't fit their view, and reacted to that, rather than debate the point dispassionately. This reminds me of people who will only watch MSNBC or Fox News and then coming away with a mindset that anything outside that viewpoint is wrong and dangerous. If you can't entertain views that differ from your own and really analyze the points where you agree or disagree, without demonizing the person or the view you are really leading a very sheltered and narrow minded existence.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I weNt back and read every post on this thread yet again to see if I could ascertain anything that would engender outrage, and I couldn't. Every opposing viewpoint was articulated respectfully and tactfully. The only outrage I could see came from posters who read something that didn't fit their view, and reacted to that, rather than debate the point dispassionately. This reminds me of people who will only watch MSNBC or Fox News and then coming away with a mindset that anything outside that viewpoint is wrong and dangerous. If you can't entertain views that differ from your own and really analyze the points where you agree or disagree, without demonizing the person or the view you are really leading a very sheltered and narrow minded existence.
Or, how to disagree without being disagreeable?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Email Reported As Spam

My goodness...didn't realize my post would cause a stir, as did a few others. Just to be clear, I haven't read the book, don't have a problem with it, sounds like it may well be a very helpful text for those suffering. My issue is, always has been, and will continue to be, that I don't want to pay for "spreading the word" of someone else's beliefs. If this book does not do that, then I apologize. If it does....I don't! My point, God belongs in the home (if your choose), in the church, but NOT in the PUBLIC schools. Simple.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:26 PM
Gold member

Interesting that some of folks who gladly accept some of the services and benefits of various religious groups are some of the same folks who protest because it is not in their "right setting". and the ones who do the most protesting seem to do the least for their fellow man I site the contributions made by Catholic without regard to religion.,

Do you know the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million students everyday at the cost to that Church of 10 billion dollars, and a savings on the other hand to the American taxpayer of 18 billion dollars. The graduates go on to graduate studies at the rate of 92%.

The Church has 230 colleges and universities in the U.S. with an enrollment of 700,000 students.

The Catholic Church has a non-profit hospital system of 637 hospitals, which account for hospital treatment of 1 out of every 5 people - not just Catholics - in the United States today

NEXT UP...ATHIESTS AND MUSLIMS.THE FLOORI IS YOURS
Old 11-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Good for them! Great, wonderful.....I support private religious schools, it that is your wish. I believe in the right of all people to practice what they believe, including athiest and Muslims.

Now, before someone gets goofy, and suggests I believe in terrorism...let me just say, be real!
Old 11-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Veteran member

NOBODY that I am aware of....NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON is advocating or has ever advocates in this forum or for that part anywhere I have ever even heard of....TEACHING ANY RELIGION IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS.

That is what is not allowed by our constitution...the teaching of or advocating as a country a single religion AND IT DOES NOT HAPPEN.

If the mention of the word GOD, as Tom was very clear about was the reason for the book being banned is reason enough to ban the book, then we need to really scan the libraries for any book that mentions ANY RELIGION IN ANY WAY

Those books that mention Martin Luther, Allah, etc...have go to go.

I really feel those that are in opposition here, KNOW IN THEIR HEART that no religion is being taught. The only person offended by the mention of or the use of the word GOD would be an atheist, and that person should also have a lot of things that offend him...the word PRAYER....any Thanksgiving toast !!!

I have grown tired of the "make them feel guilty".. rhetoric.

I believe in God....I am proud of it....I, like just about everyone does not want a religion taught in public schools, but I do not like people who jump on something like this just to make everyone uncomfortable or guilty.

My biggest problem on this thread was that Tom was very clear....the name in the title was the REASON for it being banned, but people had to jump on their soap boxes and go for the guilt trip thing. NOBODY even asked a question about the book and just continued to lecture us, who I assume are put into a catagory of those who just do not get it.

My guilt is used up I am afraid. You cannot make me feel guilty any longer.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Interesting that some of folks who gladly accept some of the services and benefits of various religious groups are some of the same folks who protest because it is not in their "right setting". and the ones who do the most protesting seem to do the least for their fellow man I site the contributions made by Catholic without regard to religion.,

Do you know the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million students everyday at the cost to that Church of 10 billion dollars, and a savings on the other hand to the American taxpayer of 18 billion dollars. The graduates go on to graduate studies at the rate of 92%.

The Church has 230 colleges and universities in the U.S. with an enrollment of 700,000 students.

The Catholic Church has a non-profit hospital system of 637 hospitals, which account for hospital treatment of 1 out of every 5 people - not just Catholics - in the United States today

NEXT UP...ATHIESTS AND MUSLIMS.THE FLOORI IS YOURS
WOW! So anyone that disagrees with the totality of your world view is either Athiest or Muslim? Now there is tolerance for you.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
WOW! So anyone that disagrees with the totality of your world view is either Athiest or Muslim? Now there is tolerance for you.
PLEASE show where VILLAGERJACK said anything close to what you accuse him of ????????

He said that two other groups now had the floor and you took it to mean something completely different. Why would anyone ask a question in that manner ?

I cannot imagine anyone in America...ANYONE who does not know we do not or should not teach religion in our public schools. I know of nobody who advocates that in anyway.

The thread was about a book banned for the name GOD in the title. It was very clear in the first post, and away you guys go with these little questions that advocate and invite argument.

We all know the law and the constitution...no need to lecture.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Rags123,
You really don't know anyone who wants religion in public school.....may I introduce you to a few of my neighbors???
Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Sage

Two of my kids graduated from Catholic high school which I paid for in its entirety since I was not Catholic, in addition to gladly paying my fair share for public education through my income and property taxes. The diocese which included their school (Kansas City / St. Joseph - look it up)has paid millions of dollars to settle lawsuits as the result of priests molesting children. The Bishop has been indicted for covering up a number of these molestations that he had knowledge of, and is currently under investigation by the Vatican while refusing to resign. So please know that your righteous indignation concerning the obvious good done by The Church is somewhat tainted by some very reprehensible acts.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Two of my kids graduated from Catholic high school which I paid for in its entirety since I was not Catholic, in addition to gladly paying my fair share for public education through my income and property taxes. The diocese which included their school (Kansas City / St. Joseph - look it up)has paid millions of dollars to settle lawsuits as the result of priests molesting children. The Bishop has been indicted for covering up a number of these molestations that he had knowledge of, and is currently under investigation by the Vatican while refusing to resign. So please know that your righteous indignation concerning the obvious good done by The Church is somewhat tainted by some very reprehensible acts.
I apologize for having signed off this thread. Having said that I must point out that this is the most biased, uncalled for, and completely off topic post. I thought you proposed decent and reasonable, calm discussions. This ain't it.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post
Rags123,
You really don't know anyone who wants religion in public school.....may I introduce you to a few of my neighbors???
No thanks.

Listen, a poster came on here upset because a book was banned simply because of the name GOD in the title. He made that very clear at the outset.

Immediately, folks are lecturing, standing on their pedestals telling everyone about what we already know.

I do not know your neighbors and if they actually want religion TAUGHT in public schools, that would be a first for me to hear. I have not even heard hard core right wing preachers suggest anything close to that.

Just tired of the lectures...just tired of trying to make people feel guilty...just tired of it.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
No thanks.

Listen, a poster came on here upset because a book was banned simply because of the name GOD in the title. He made that very clear at the outset.

Immediately, folks are lecturing, standing on their pedestals telling everyone about what we already know.

I do not know your neighbors and if they actually want religion TAUGHT in public schools, that would be a first for me to hear. I have not even heard hard core right wing preachers suggest anything close to that.

Just tired of the lectures...just tired of trying to make people feel guilty...just tired of it.
If you are tired of lectures you might consider not lecturing.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
TAINTED ?

What are you trying to do ? Nobody claimed any superiority or perfection....why in the world would someone bring something up like to simply "taint" any other good works. Who is it that you want to feel guilty ?
And for what ?

These statements you make are so completely unrelated to anything....your comments are really uncalled for.

This is the kind of rhetoric that is bad....

"oh, you say this about this issue.....that must mean you are a (fill in the blank)"

Oh, you believe this...that means you (fill in the blank)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.