A Good Safety Tip - Pass The Word

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Veteran member
Default A Good Safety Tip - Pass The Word

Folks,

Last October, a colleague was involved in that horrific crash on I-75 near Gainesville that you may recall. She was unconscious when help arrived. When she didn't show up for work that morning to supervise the blood bank at the Gainesville medical center, we began investigating where she might be. Although we had her emergency contact info, it had taken us two hours to find out what happened. Two hours!! And it was an emergency service authority that contacted us!! Why so long? I began think about how to improve our emergency notfication policies at the VA. Our emergency call rosters are updated twice a year but they are designed to work in reverse. I came by a recommendation that follows this post. It's so good, that I'm going to direct all of the VA laboratory supervisors to make the recommendation at all staff meetings this month. It can be of benefit to all of us should we be involved in a similar personal emergency.

Here's the recommendation:

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody,
other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency?

Hence this ' ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign. The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations.

As cell phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose.

In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as 'ICE'.
Please pass the word. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest .

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc.
Be sure it's in your kid's cell phones also.....

A great idea that will make a difference!

Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile phones today!

Hope this helps y'all. Be Safe!

P.S.

I happy to report that Merlinda is doing well and she plans to be back in the lab next month. Her unfortunate experience taught us all a valuable lesson.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 01-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Pete
Default Re: A Good Safety Tip - Pass The Word

The Sumter County Sheriffs dept. has a similar program for folks at home needing emergency response.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Taltarzac

Not all of us have cell phones though. Maybe something in your wallet and/or purse that has a ICE contact?

The last time my car broke down a Sumter County Sheriff's officer called AAA for me. This was in TV.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

That's a great post John, already stored an ICE on my phone. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Gold member

Have visited TV 3 times and looking forward to when we can leave Arkansas for The Villages. Love the TOTV. We have had our cells phones programed for two years with the ICE because our family lives around the country and near us.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 PM

Great idea, John. I've been carrying an ICE phone number in my cell for over a year now and feel a bit more comfortable knowing that the emergency people are aware and will use it when necessary. Actually, my emergency contact number is listed as, "ICE Daughter." :bigthumbsup:
Old 01-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Veteran member

John,

This is a very good suggestion, and one I hope many will do. Being a Resporatory Therapist, and working many times in the ER. We were involved in all situations. I can't tell you how many times the "ICE" number in cells phones made it possible to contact family members right from the treatment room.

Usually Parametics don't have the time to call--they are more involved in stabilizing the patient, and will leave the contacting to ER staff.

Tal, your suggestion is a good one too, but be sure to add what meds you are taking and info about allergies. I encourage everyone to do the same.
Village of Hemmingway
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.