My Memorial Day Musings and Thanks

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default My Memorial Day Musings and Thanks

I've been fortunate to have lived in many places of the world as a child. I am also fortunate that my parents made friends with many in these countries and I have been able to return to these places and friends as an adult.

For me, Memorial Day isn't just a day of remembering our military but the families of all military personnel, especially those who have lost a loved one due to war. I'm including those of other nations as well. No matter what side someone fought and died for, the pain the family feels is just as intense.

My mother lost her entire family in WWII. Two were cousins in the Luftwaffe. One was in the Wehrmacht. The rest were in concentration camps (pure Aryans -- Goebbels wanted and got my great-grandfather's land outside of Berlin). My father and his brothers all served in the military in WWII for the USA. Fortunately, all survived. I honor and say a special prayer for my mother's cousins and my father, brother and uncles on Memorial Day.

I have dear friends in Copenhagen, St. Petersburg, Turkey, Greece, England, Germany, Canada, Iran, Israel, Kenya and Somalia. I've met many of their friends. There is no one who has not been touched by war in some way. So, I salute and honor all those who have been injured, maimed and killed in the wars of the world. Just as importantly, I remember with an open heart those families who have paid the ultimate price of losing someone precious in a war.

Most importantly, I thank those who serve and fight or who have served and fought to protect America's precious freedoms. We owe you all a debt that can never be repaid. So, hoo-rah!, Semper FI and a huge thank you from this Army brat.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: My Memorial Day Musings and Thanks

I agree Red! Thanks! Pray for us to care about our fellow man, and to feel the heartache and pain of so many lives lost. Let us send cards and care packages, love and well wishes of a quick return to our soldiers. Lets let the soldiers and their families know we care. Pray we can be proud of our country and all it stands for. In memory of my good friend, who was like a son, Gregory Belanger, and all his fellow servicemen and women, I thank you. Memorialized since 2003, killed in Kuwait, and always in my heart, I love you , Greg. Thanks to my father-in-law, a WWII rear gunner POW shot down in Pulaski, honored with a purple heart, medal of honor and a bronze star, a young boy who made it home and could not talk about the war and never flew in a plane again. And my Daddy, my hero, a Navy veteran of the Korean war who died this past Veterans Day. I miss you, honor you, and love you all so very much!! To my TOTV friends, may you all have peace in your hearts this Memorial Day 2008, and may God help us spread a lot of love around. (I don't think we are having a problem with that!!) I see such kind, good people here! Smile, wave, help, be kind, caring, patient, generous and LOVING!! Lastly, crying as I type, I thank every soldier past and present. This is America, a land of many people and cultures that want a peaceful world. I pray we find the wisdom and courage to unite humankind and have an end to hatred. Amen
Old 05-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Platinum member

And, may I hope that you'll spend a few moments tomorrow morning at TV's Veterans Memorial Park? An appropriate and tasteful ceremony honoring all our service members, past, present and future! 10:00am, but be early because there's usually a really good crowd!
As a retired Lieutenant Colonel, you can be sure I'll be there!

SWR
Old 05-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Platinum member

I look forward to seeing you, swr or should I say Sir!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Banned

Spent the last couple days with a 100+ of my closest friends at The Wall and other places in DC. Each year there is an activity called "Rolling Thunder" where vets, family or vets, and many who just "understand" come together in DC for remembrance and comraderie. This year's was special for me, because timing next year may be tough to be back for it.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Platinum member

Red and I enjoyed being together this Memorial Day. The Veterans Park was quite busy. The speeches were wonderful. We both cried, :'( sang, gave thanks ;D and prayed for our servicemen and women. Let us "NEVER FORGET"!
Old 05-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Sage

Well stated Rhonda. I think that 3PM Eastern is a time of national rememberence?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Sage

:bow: :bow: :bow: Thanks seems like such an little word to cover the gratitude felt and owed to the young men and women fighting for our country and yet it's all we have so, Thank You and hurry home safe and sound.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24
:bow: :bow: :bow: Thanks seems like such an little word to cover the gratitude felt and owed to the young men and women fighting for our country and yet it's all we have so, Thank You and hurry home safe and sound.
Please God, hurry everyone home, safe and sound!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

AMEN!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.