Trivia question....

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default Trivia question....

Hub and I were watching a program about the royal family and I asked hub....Do you know the last name of Prince William? Neither of us could pull it up and finally Bill got it, but it took some deep thought.

Do you know? Doubt that many Americans know, except history buffs.

What say, buffs?

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 04-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Sage

Smith?

I looked it up - had never even heard it noted before. Won't spoil it here for others......

Bill
Old 04-25-2011, 03:52 PM

I believe his last name in Mountbatten-Windsor.

MinnieM
Old 04-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Gold member

His last name is Wales. I watched a show last night where he introduced himself as William Wales. Wales was also the name on his military uniform.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
His last name is Wales. I watched a show last night where he introduced himself as William Wales. Wales was also the name on his military uniform.
Bill Wales, sounds like a nice guy. I hear they do not have domestic help and want to keep it that way. I wonder if he washes or dries and who bags the clippings.

I think their real last name was German and Queen Victoria changed it to something more Anglicized.

P.S. Just looked it up. The person who said Mountbatten-Windsor is correct but it was changed in Victorian times from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

Someone is going to say...Who cares? The royal family had no real power and it is a financial load on British people and....whatever else the naysayers say.

I just love that there is real royalty and my fairy tales are kinda true.

Gracie.
Always a romantic.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-26-2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Looked up the information.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:49 AM

Mountbatten-Windsor
Old 04-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Sage

Believe it was changed to Windsor (like the castle) in WWI to sever ties with their German cousins.

Mountbatten is Prince Phillip's surname - he was a Prince of Greece and Denmark at birth as a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. He renounced his Greek and Danish titles and changed his surname to that of his British maternal grandparents to marry then Princess Elizabeth in 1947.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

"The royal family had no real power and it is a financial load on British people "

But, just look at the amount of tourists who come to the United Kingdom, in the hope of seeing one our royals. The amount of tourist income is staggering!! Without the Royals, England would not be the same.
The French and Germans envy us our royal family, even though the Germans still have minor royals, no one wants to visit them
Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Believe it was changed to Windsor (like the castle) in WWI to sever ties with their German cousins.

Mountbatten is Prince Phillip's surname - he was a Prince of Greece and Denmark at birth as a member of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. He renounced his Greek and Danish titles and changed his surname to that of his British maternal grandparents to marry then Princess Elizabeth in 1947.

Great info thanks for settling a little wager for me! Which I won
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.