Trivial but..... Interesting experience with Troy-bilt company

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2023, 08:08 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts
Default Trivial but..... Interesting experience with Troy-bilt company

Researching Troy-bilt mower for father's day gift. Tractor Supply and other retailers who sell this brand have Q & A section for perspective buyers to ask brand related questions. I could not find a "straight" forward answer to the question: In what country are your mower engines manufactured; NOT "assembled" but actually made ? I noticed many others had asked this same question, yet, the answers on the various retailer's websites (including tractor supply in Leesburg) were NON answers. The question was asked in a variety of ways, and yet the answer from the Troy-bilt company was "our products are proudly made .... but never say WHERE ?? So, I decided to not skirt around it, I asked: are your engines, or any part of your mowers manufactured in China ? I am not asking where they are "assembled", I see in your Q&A they are assembled in the U.S.A. but are they actually manufactured in China ? I received a notice what while Troy-bilt "appreciated" my question, it was found to be "inappropriate in relation to their on line question guidelines" ! ! So I read the guild lines AGAIN, checked every word for something prohibited, and submitted again. Same reply, "not appropriate" ? So, determined, I asked the country of origin for the MANUFACTURING process only, not assembly, and on every website of a retail store that sells this brand and allows Q&A about the products they sell, it came back "inappropriate" or "failed to meet our guidelines". I just find this wholly unbelievable as I have asked this same question; "Is any part of this product (in this case it was an item on Home Depot website) manufactured in China? " And, my question was answered in 24hours: "The country of origin of manufacture of this grill is Peoples Republic of China". So I'm just wondering, why would Troy-bilt be the only brand they writes back that it is an "inappropriate" question ? I made no statement about China at all, no reference to the product being inferior, just asking for the origin.... something others companies seem to have no trouble stamping right on the boxes or packages, but for some reason Troy-bilt appears to refuse to give any information ? Seems very strange to me ! ? However, I guess they are in no way obligated to say where their products are made !
Old 06-15-2023, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,150 Times in 5,380 Posts

They are required to tell you the country of origin if the entire product is mfg overseas.

They are required to give the info to US customs of any parts that make up the complete assembly that are coming into the country so customs can say the duty that applies to it.
Old 06-15-2023, 09:43 PM
Veteran member

I worked for Briggs and Stratton for over 10 years and the answer is pretty straightforward. If the engine says Briggs and Stratton on it is most likely made in USA. There are a few horizontal engines that are not. Believe it or not a lot of Honda engines are made in USA. A few Kohler engines are made here but have a lot of Chinese parts. Anything else is china made. If they won’t tell you it is China. If you really want a Usa engine look for the Briggs logo, that is still the case I believe
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 06-16-2023, 09:07 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,397 Times in 1,459 Posts

I bought a new Troy Built Tiller and it literally fell apart piece by piece and I did not abuse it, just very poor assembly and quality control. And then try getting parts for it.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,782 Times in 5,278 Posts

If you think inflation is bad now, what do you think products would cost if everything you bought had to be made in the USA?
Old 06-17-2023, 06:29 AM

Troy built once was top of the line equipment. No longer. A lot of the old line well established equipment service shops won’t touch them, or the Home Depot/Lowe’s base versions of what were quality equipment.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Concur with above poster: If they won't/don't tell you, then they don't want you to know. Why wouldn't they want you to know? Because it is not USA manufactured, and because it is probably manufactured somewhere unpopular / controversial. Most likely? China.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Researching Troy-bilt mower for father's day gift. Tractor Supply and other retailers who sell this brand have Q & A section for perspective buyers to ask brand related questions. I could not find a "straight" forward answer to the question: In what country are your mower engines manufactured; NOT "assembled" but actually made ? I noticed many others had asked this same question, yet, the answers on the various retailer's websites (including tractor supply in Leesburg) were NON answers. The question was asked in a variety of ways, and yet the answer from the Troy-bilt company was "our products are proudly made .... but never say WHERE ?? So, I decided to not skirt around it, I asked: are your engines, or any part of your mowers manufactured in China ? I am not asking where they are "assembled", I see in your Q&A they are assembled in the U.S.A. but are they actually manufactured in China ? I received a notice what while Troy-bilt "appreciated" my question, it was found to be "inappropriate in relation to their on line question guidelines" ! ! So I read the guild lines AGAIN, checked every word for something prohibited, and submitted again. Same reply, "not appropriate" ? So, determined, I asked the country of origin for the MANUFACTURING process only, not assembly, and on every website of a retail store that sells this brand and allows Q&A about the products they sell, it came back "inappropriate" or "failed to meet our guidelines". I just find this wholly unbelievable as I have asked this same question; "Is any part of this product (in this case it was an item on Home Depot website) manufactured in China? " And, my question was answered in 24hours: "The country of origin of manufacture of this grill is Peoples Republic of China". So I'm just wondering, why would Troy-bilt be the only brand they writes back that it is an "inappropriate" question ? I made no statement about China at all, no reference to the product being inferior, just asking for the origin.... something others companies seem to have no trouble stamping right on the boxes or packages, but for some reason Troy-bilt appears to refuse to give any information ? Seems very strange to me ! ? However, I guess they are in no way obligated to say where their products are made !
All small engines are manufactured in China, including, Briggs, and I believe Honda.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:26 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,089 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
All small engines are manufactured in China, including, Briggs, and I believe Honda.
That's nonsense. Do your homework.
Old 06-18-2023, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
It’s like you totally ignored my post above. This is incorrect
Snow Flake until I retire
Closed Thread

Tags
question, troy-bilt, asked, china, brand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.