True Love Story

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Sage
Default True Love Story

Here's a true story of when my Uncle Joe was introduced to the family before marrying my Aunt Virginia.

Virginia's brother, my uncle Buejay, (nickname), asked Joe if he wanted to go down to the bar and have a couple of drinks. Joe replied, I don't drink.

Bluejay said maybe we could find a crap game. Joe said, I don't gamble.

Bluejay asked Joe was he did for amusement. Joe replied, "I play the fiddle".

Bluejay turned to his sister Virginia and said, "you better lose this guy because he is dull".

This Labor Day marks their 74th anniversary and they are still very much in love and devoted to each other.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Sage

Wow, 74 years together. That is great. Especially in these times when so many couples can't make it to the 3 year mark.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Nice story. Although this isn't really one, I've always been fascinated by the stories of how a couple met. It's such a chancy thing to meet that certain someone who sets your heart aflame, and it usually makes a great and, many times, a funny story. That would be a good subject for a thread, I think.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Sage

WHOA!!! 74 YEARS??!!! That's amazing, Joe.........and it's great!

Bill
Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Gold member

My In-Laws have been married 71 years. We took them on a cruise for their 70th and they were able to be onstage for the 'Newlywed Game'. It was great! They are still so much in love, sitting together holding hands and when you watch them together, it's so neat to see that they really communicate with each other, they look at each other and talk. So many couples don't do this. I was over there the other day, they were having a little squabble...Mom looked at Dad and said "Dave, remind me tomorrow that I'm going to divorce you"..he said "Sure, if I remember". I am so happy to have a husband with role models like these.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:36 AM

These are truly wonderful stories, and as we approach our 50th, I was feeling an accomplishment was about to be achieved - now I'll have to look forward instead to 75.....

I always wanted to be able to play the fiddle, now I know...
Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
Nice story. Although this isn't really one, I've always been fascinated by the stories of how a couple met. It's such a chancy thing to meet that certain someone who sets your heart aflame, and it usually makes a great and, many times, a funny story. That would be a good subject for a thread, I think.
I just found out a year ago as I asked my Uncle Joe how they had met. The man is sharp as a tack.

He said their was a local get together at a church and decorations were being done by my Aunt Virginia. He notice her trying to reach the ceiling by standing on a table and he offered to help as he was slightly taller.

Another day, he saw her standing on the corner with her girfriend trying to catch a trolley ride. He had one of the few cars at that time and he offered her a ride. She accepted, he asked her out and the rest is history.

The start of a great life together.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
My In-Laws have been married 71 years. We took them on a cruise for their 70th and they were able to be onstage for the 'Newlywed Game'. It was great! They are still so much in love, sitting together holding hands and when you watch them together, it's so neat to see that they really communicate with each other, they look at each other and talk. So many couples don't do this. I was over there the other day, they were having a little squabble...Mom looked at Dad and said "Dave, remind me tomorrow that I'm going to divorce you"..he said "Sure, if I remember". I am so happy to have a husband with role models like these.
Trish -- 71 years. That's great too.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
These are truly wonderful stories, and as we approach our 50th, I was feeling an accomplishment was about to be achieved - now I'll have to look forward instead to 75.....

I always wanted to be able to play the fiddle, now I know...
Congratulations on your upcoming 50th. That is quite an accomplishment. Would love to read posts about what is the secret(s) to a long and happy marriage.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 08-11-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: word choice
Old 08-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
Good idea Richie.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Congratulations on your upcoming 50th. That is quite an accomplishment. Would love to read posts about what is the secret(s) to a long and happy marriage.
Just a guess. Probably with every argument ending with the man saying, "YES DEAR"!!!!!!!

Last edited by 2BNTV; 08-11-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Word change
Old 08-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
My feeling is that if your spouse also becomes you best friend, then the marriage has a good chance to go the distance.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Email Reported As Spam

We are making preparations for our 50th in 2012. I can tell you that the secret to a long marriage is compromise. We compromise on all things and do it her way

On the serious side when my daugther got divorced ( she made every attempt to keep it together) she lamented that my wife and I made marriage look easy. Her remark startled both my wife and me because from our propsective we faced many peaks and valleys over the years. I suspect it was because we believed that it would be unfair and unwise to involve anyone in our problems.. that is what our parents did and we followed suit.
I suspect many people of our generation feel the same way.

What is the secret to a long term marriage....luck.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
We are making preparations for our 50th in 2012. I can tell you that the secret to a long marriage is compromise. We compromise on all things and do it her way:D

On the serious side when my daugther got divorced ( she made every attempt to keep it together) she lamented that my wife and I made marriage look easy. Her remark startled both my wife and me because from our propsective we faced many peaks and valleys over the years. I suspect it was because we believed that it would be unfair and unwise to involve anyone in our problems.. that is what our parents did and we followed suit.
I suspect many people of our generation feel the same way.

What is the secret to a long term marriage....luck.
Rubicon -- Way to go...
Old 08-12-2011, 02:06 AM
Veteran member
Default SIX word EVERY man Should Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Just a guess. Probably with every argument ending with the man saying, "YES DEAR"!!!!!!!
....Listen carefully to THE SIX WORDS EVERY MAN MUST KNOW..
"YES DEAR...YOU'RE RIGHT...I'M SORRY."........................................... .............
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.