Trusts

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatRatKat View Post
This is correct, they are the trustees and I'm the POA. My dad was under the impression that as POA I could access the trust but apparently he misunderstood. My only concern in all this is when/if I need to handle their affairs, how would I pay for it if I can't access their funds. Bills can be paid online but some things wouldn't be able to be paid that way. Biggest concern is a major health crisis.
May want to check, my Online Services allow me to transfer funds to another account at that bank, AND allow to transfer to another bank, to a specific account.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:25 AM

Thank you all for your responses, appreciate it. I guess the best bet is to ask the attorney who wrote it up.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Probably need to visit with an attorney.

"A Trust" should not effect a financial POA. Most POA's include financial authority, but maybe your POA does not cover everything.

Sounds like the trust is a Living Trust, which does go around probate. This definitely does not effect you POA.

Plus............there is also a chance the Banker was misguided. Sad, but somethings you get different answers at different branches of the same bank.

Good Luck.
I agree that the bank might have been misguided. My mother had a trust, and my brother had POA. So he took care of everything when she went into a nursing home.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatRatKat View Post
Thank you all for your responses, appreciate it. I guess the best bet is to ask the attorney who wrote it up.
Potential problem here: Due to attorney-client confidentiality, he may not be able to share with you. Your parents would have to sign a form agreeing to release of info.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

I think I know what the problem is. You may be right in that your father did not really understand what it is all about. POA is not the same as trustee. The trust would have to have a provision for POA to access the trust and the trustee would have to agree to withdrawals from the income that the trust creates. Sometimes there are provisions for unusually large withdrawals, requiring dipping into the principal. Yes, you will need permission from your parents to consult their attorney for further clarification. It would be best if your parents are also at the meeting so you can ask them questions if necessary.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:06 PM

Your best bet is to speak with the lawyer who wrote the trust. He/she can tell you exactly what your options are. Are you a trustee of the trust.? If not, perhaps your parents would like you to be now. I imagine that would give you access to the account you mention, as well as everything else in the trust. If they choose not to make you trustee until after they die, I am quite sure your attorney can write a POA that will give you access to funds in the checking account. A call to that lawyer to get the correct information is the way to go. Don't take the bank's word, my word, or anyone else's!!! Good luck.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
Your best bet is to speak with the lawyer who wrote the trust. He/she can tell you exactly what your options are. Are you a trustee of the trust.? If not, perhaps your parents would like you to be now. I imagine that would give you access to the account you mention, as well as everything else in the trust. If they choose not to make you trustee until after they die, I am quite sure your attorney can write a POA that will give you access to funds in the checking account. A call to that lawyer to get the correct information is the way to go. Don't take the bank's word, my word, or anyone else's!!! Good luck.
We're going to call the lawyer together on the phone and if that doesn't work we'll make an appt to go in together to get this straightened out. We've been down this road with my FIL and it was beyond stressful. Just trying to make sure everything is in order. The bank has made this harder than it had to be with their incredibly unprofessional and rude "customer service". I'm still reeling over some comments. I need to just let that go. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:58 PM
Sage

I scrolled (albeit quickly) through all the responses and I'm not sure where you had the legal papers filed. If NOT in Florida...you really need to speak to an attorney here, locally. Laws vary state to state. We went to a seminar early in our time of living here and had a new will etc. drawn up. THEN the laws changed a bit a year or two ago so we went back. Good thing too as we'd thought we had everything needed and didn't so had that taken care of as well. The doctors and hospitals all need copies of your DNR or whatever it's called. You'll get asked about this at every juncture so it's good to get. A POA is needed so good to speak to an attorney to have those questions answered. We don't have a trust so maybe that's the difference. You'll not want to go into probate in FL as it will string all the legalities out over time.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:15 PM

Yes, their attorney is a well known Villages lawyer. My folks saw what we went through with my father in law's estate and about 2 yrs ago they had the trust drawn up to avoid probate so we wouldn't have to go through that again and yes, it was a hassle and drawn out. The hospital and their Dr. has a copy of their living will as do I. Thank you.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Two very good books to read are:

Living Trusts For Everyone by Ronald Farrington Sharp
and
Beyond The Grave by Jeffery L. Condon

Why not educate yourself before "trusting" a lawyer.

The last one (Beyond the Grave) has some very good examples of mistakes lawyers make, not always on purpose, just because of misunderstandings.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 AM

Your parents can set up a new account in their names (not the trust) with you as POA and you as the beneficiary using payable upon death. You, with your power of attorney can access the account while they are alive and upon both of their deaths you will receive the funds. Accounts with payable upon death beneficiaries do not go through probate. I have been a banker for 32 years. In my opinion all personal bank accounts should have payable on death beneficiaries.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

This may have been mentioned above.
The POA ends at the death of the personal who made it.
THE POA should state that if the person becomes incompetent the powers continue. This will avoid a guardian ship.
The POA could specifically say that person can step in and perform the trustees duties, but again only while that person is alive.
Best way to handle the trust problem is to be named as the successor trustee.
The bank accounts can be set up so you have the ability to sign checks and you are not an owner of the account.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

The original post really doesn't have enough information to provide proper advice. Banks often will not accept a power of attorney prepared by someone else. But, the bank will prepare their own POA for you. I believe that this problem can be solved with proper communication with the bank to set up the account so the OP can withdraw funds from the bank. I don't think you need a lawyer. It's easy to tell someone to see a lawyer if you are not paying for it. The bank should solve this problem for free.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-15-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
trusts, bank, trust, expenses, folks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.