Tunnel to Towers New Mission

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
I can empathize with spouses and families who live with Veterans who suffer from PTSD.
I spent a good portion of my career working with Veterans with mental health issues, rendering them broke, divorced and homeless, in many cases.

Through the years, I met many of the wives who stayed the course. You are the champions who keep your spouses as grounded as possible after the horrors of war.
There was one common thread that PTSD Vets cited as the only variable keeping them functioning in daily life. Their wives.
God Bless You.
You know who you are and you are NEVER thanked for your service to our country on Veterans Day or Any Day.

I'm thanking you right now. I kniw what "hit the deck" means.
Wow! I am sitting here in stunned silence after reading some of the comments on this thread. I had no idea what it could be like living with PTSD. Thank you to all who have served and sacrificed and thank you to the wives who have endured the horrors second hand and did all they could to help their spouse. There has to be a place in heaven reserved for you, Lord knows you’ve already been through hell. 😞
Old 11-16-2023, 09:00 AM
Default Take care of our own!

It’s ludicrous how our veterans are neglected. Help them however we can, personally. Unfortunately this country doesn’t. I am an advocate for T to T and encourage others to do your research and be charitable to them if you can. With a 3rd war hanging in the wings, our military depleted in so many aspects…. We need to support those who have made sacrifices for this country. The numbers are dwindling daily in support of patriotism….we need to take care of our own!
Old 11-16-2023, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Reading many of these posts ,it seems to me that some of you must be doctors with extensive knowledge of the many fakers in the VA system. The hospitals were full of men with ptsd during and after all the wars we have fought, back then it was called shell shock and many suffered all there lives with very little help from anyone .I’m surprised we don’t have more cases on record then we do. Have some of you even been in combat ? Do you know that even hardened soldiers can all of a sudden fall apart during a battle Have you experienced the loud noise , the screaming of the wounded or the fear that can swallow you if you let it in that moment when you don’t know whether you are going to live or die , if not then you have no right to judge someone you think is SCAMMING the system ,FYI it’s very easy to fall into being homeless the loss of a job ,divorce , medical issues , alcohol and drugs, eviction so the landlord can get more rent .,, not all the homeless are lazy ,some even work ,but in major cities with high rent and having to gather first ,last and security deposit even if you can find a cheap place it’s very hard to do with out help.I have nothing against any charity that helps veterans to get a roof over there head
Old 11-16-2023, 10:42 AM

What gets me is the ptsd claims to social security disability for “Covid”
Old 11-16-2023, 10:56 AM
Default Ptsd

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I rewrote this thread because I just wanted to get opinions about the mission change for the Tunnel to Towers charity, not to create a controversy. I have always considered this charity to be one of my favorites because of their focus on helping veterans with severe physical disabilities suffered in combat to get housing, and because of their exceptional cost efficiency. Now, Frank Siller is appearing in TV commercials asking for donations to help homeless veterans with PTSD. I don't deny that some veterans suffer from PTSD, but I just don't view veterans with PTSD in the same way as veterans who lost their legs in combat. I also believe that some disability claims for PTSD may be fraudulent and I don't trust the current screening process for PTSD claims. Please provide opinions.
If your goal is to trigger veterans who suffer from PTSD good job .
Old 11-16-2023, 11:18 AM
Default Uninformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhrath7@gmail.com View Post
Men need to be men again. They need courage, honor and get on with it attitude. Coddling
makes one weak
Please save us your uninformed theory and leave the professionals deal with out veteran’s. Hard to fathom no compassion for our warriors.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:03 PM

I love the T2T organization and donate quite a bit every year. They are my number one choice for donations. That said, I am the Mother of an Army Veteran. Unless you are in his shoes you have no idea what he went through. He saw things no one should have seen during the Iraq war. I only know a portion and it's too much. Yes, he has PTSD and is receiving some benefits from the government for that, along with hearing, back, neck, leg, arm and many other areas of injury. I believe he deserves every dime he gets and wish he got more considering what he gave for us. I agree that some people "fake the system" but it's no different than those collecting welfare, social security disability, etc. that should not be getting it. They make a life out of that. It disgusts me. I also know there are other forms of PTSD, for example a person who lived a certain violent childhood or someone who was abused. A doctor certainly needs to be able to tell the difference between real and fake but that's beyond my skill level to determine. Suffice it to say the Veterans who need the T2T assistance are my highest priority and will be until the group disappoints me and I have to find a different charity.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemetz57 View Post
It’s ludicrous how our veterans are neglected. Help them however we can, personally. Unfortunately this country doesn’t. I am an advocate for T to T and encourage others to do your research and be charitable to them if you can. With a 3rd war hanging in the wings, our military depleted in so many aspects…. We need to support those who have made sacrifices for this country. The numbers are dwindling daily in support of patriotism….we need to take care of our own!
Could not have said it better.
Old 11-16-2023, 03:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Having returned from Afghanistan three years ago I can personally assure you that the screening for PTSD starts as you outprocess from theater. You do not have to be a genius to see how to answer the questions to get a (PTSD) referral.

Now this wasn't always the case, on my five previous deployments there wasn't much in the way of screening. But it's easy to Google the symptoms and tell a VA case manager how you are feeling to get 'rated' for a PTSD disability. It's pretty rare to go to the psych unit and be under observation. As I've already said getting a VA rating for PTSD. This isn't 1945 or 1968. When deployed you get US television without commercials, instead there are military specific public service announcements and a signifigant percentage are on PTSD.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlm790 View Post
I love the T2T organization and donate quite a bit every year. They are my number one choice for donations. That said, I am the Mother of an Army Veteran. Unless you are in his shoes you have no idea what he went through. He saw things no one should have seen during the Iraq war. I only know a portion and it's too much. Yes, he has PTSD and is receiving some benefits from the government for that, along with hearing, back, neck, leg, arm and many other areas of injury. I believe he deserves every dime he gets and wish he got more considering what he gave for us. I agree that some people "fake the system" but it's no different than those collecting welfare, social security disability, etc. that should not be getting it. They make a life out of that. It disgusts me. I also know there are other forms of PTSD, for example a person who lived a certain violent childhood or someone who was abused. A doctor certainly needs to be able to tell the difference between real and fake but that's beyond my skill level to determine. Suffice it to say the Veterans who need the T2T assistance are my highest priority and will be until the group disappoints me and I have to find a different charity.
The veterans featured on the T2T commercials who have serious physical disabilities and are given a handicapped equipped house are obviously not faking the system. I am happy to participate in that endeavour because their Government benefits are most likely not sufficient to compensate for the disability.

But, if T2T is going to blindly accept the PTSD fakers and include them in the money that people donate to T2T, I have a problem with that. And, it is not just doctors who decide on PTSD benefits. A lot of these fakers hire lawyers to assist them in gaming the system to get them approved for benefits. I think the T2T charity should provide separate funding for PTSD veterans and physically disabled veterans so donors can decide where they want their money to go. If they don't, they may find that their donations will dry up, and this very successful charity will suffer.

I want to emphasize that I know there are veterans who are receiving benefits based on a legitmate claim of PTSD and other disabilities. But, even the VA agrees that there are some fraudulent disability claims. I hope that T2T is not going to automatically include all homeless veterans on disability in their charity program without some additional screening.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-17-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I rewrote this thread because I just wanted to get opinions about the mission change for the Tunnel to Towers charity, not to create a controversy. I have always considered this charity to be one of my favorites because of their focus on helping veterans with severe physical disabilities suffered in combat to get housing, and because of their exceptional cost efficiency. Now, Frank Siller is appearing in TV commercials asking for donations to help homeless veterans with PTSD. I don't deny that some veterans suffer from PTSD, but I just don't view veterans with PTSD in the same way as veterans who lost their legs in combat. I also believe that some disability claims for PTSD may be fraudulent and I don't trust the current screening process for PTSD claims. Please provide opinions.
I love that Tunnel to Towers helps vets with service related disabilities get housing. It's most certainly a worthy cause.

I am no expert on PTSD but my heart goes out to anyone living with it. It is not a visible disability, but is a disability. If you enjoy reading and would like to read about a dog that a vet had to help him with PTSD I would recommend it. The title is "Until Tuesday, author Luis Carlos Montalván." The book gives a lot of insight into what it is like (at least for this particular veteran) living with PTSD. I understand that this doesn't give you the confidence that some vets claims are fraudulent but wanted to mention it to you.

Every single day 22 veterans take their own lives, many because of PTSD.

There is an organization (Guardian Angel Medical Service Dogs (GAMSD)) in Williston, FL that trains German Shepherds to help veterans, first responders (and others) living with disabilities, including PTSD. These dogs are specially trained for each individual and their is never a charge to the recipient for the dog. Among other things these dogs help opening doors, in some instances getting items for their person (from the fridge, laundry, etc.) Also seizure alert. A special phone can be set up for the veteran. If something happens to the vet their dog can hit a button to reach a 911 operator. There are of course many videos and stories from different veterans who have received a dog from GAMSD. I once watched one of their videos where a veteran told his story about receiving one of these dogs. Shortly after receiving the dog the vet decided to kill himself by shooting himself. The dog came to him and somehow stopped him. I don't remember the details but that dog saved a vets life who had PTSD. The dog knows how to go to him and make him feel better, how to read him and calm him down. When my husband has gone to the VA in Gainesville we would sometimes see these particular Guardian Angel Medical Service Dog's with their vets.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remembergoldenrule View Post
In some cities kicking them out of houses by to make room for people without medical or background checks who break laws coming to US for free things
Sad but true and hard to believe.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
If you have this concern, pick up the phone and call them directly and express it. I have in the past had the opportunity to speak with a rep directly and they were most helpful. They need to know that there are donors out there who have a concern about this additional venue
Old 11-17-2023, 10:46 AM
TOTV Moderator

All political comments have been removed. The next one will close the thread.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
While you may not believe that all claims for PTSD are legitimate, the process is actually pretty straightforward. The veteran has to prove that a traumatic injury occurred while in the service. That they were treated at some point and after they got out of the service, they had to continue getting treatment for PTSD. It’s not as easy as you think to make a claim for PTSD. Please educate yourself before making such harsh assumptions.
Closed Thread

Tags
veterans, ptsd, charity, disability, veteran

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.