Tunnel to Towers New Mission

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2023, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjLyness1965 View Post
While you may not believe that all claims for PTSD are legitimate, the process is actually pretty straightforward. The veteran has to prove that a traumatic injury occurred while in the service. That they were treated at some point and after they got out of the service, they had to continue getting treatment for PTSD. It’s not as easy as you think to make a claim for PTSD. Please educate yourself before making such harsh assumptions.
PTSD fraud is not an assumption, it's a fact. Just Google it.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
While you may not believe that all claims for PTSD are legitimate, the process is actually pretty straightforward. The veteran has to prove that a traumatic injury occurred while in the service. That they were treated at some point and after they got out of the service, they had to continue getting treatment for PTSD. It’s not as easy as you think to make a claim for PTSD. Please educate yourself before making such harsh assumptions.
Agreed. It is pretty hard to fake PTSD, as said above, no matter the military commercials.

Those of us who worked with Vets have a great deal of street smarts and intrinsic ability.

I've Never said this out loud to anyone before, but i'm going to say it now...

There is nothing that makes me MORE upset than when I hear a Veteran claiming that another Veteran is gaming the system.

Walk a mile in his/her shoes and report back to me.

Remember HIPPA doesn't allow ANYONE to know another's medical and/or mental health information, except those involved in the individuals case management.

Trust me, there isn't a psych observation ward for PTSD determination, but there are multi-disciplines collaborating behind the scenes on the Vet's behalf.

Veterans:
Hear Me!
No Matter How Bad you were treated in the past after discharge, give it another go, you may meet an advocate like me someday who will fight like heck for you.
Remember-Vets for Vets, do not poo-poo ANYONE'S perceived disability.

YOU cannot see what's going on in their brain/mind, organs, central nervous system, blood and bones, Service Related, so....Shhhh!!! Thx.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
PTSD fraud is not an assumption, it's a fact. Just Google it.
Google? Seriously? What background in clinical psychology and experience do you have with veterans to be able to make a determination that veterans are “faking PTSD” claims? Oh that’s right! You don’t! Just google. I just told you exactly what evidence the VA looks for when determining a VA claim for PTSD, but you rely on google. Pathetic. Let me explain it this way: Who are you to say anyone does or doesn’t suffer from PTSD? As far as congress and the VA is concerned, YOU are NO ONE. You and your uninformed opinion don’t matter. The veteran matters and that’s exactly the way it should be. If you don’t want to give to T to T, don’t. No one will miss you or your lousy opinion. ☮️
Old 11-17-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
Agreed. It is pretty hard to fake PTSD, as said above, no matter the military commercials.

Those of us who worked with Vets have a great deal of street smarts and intrinsic ability.

I've Never said this out loud to anyone before, but i'm going to say it now...

There is nothing that makes me MORE upset than when I hear a Veteran claiming that another Veteran is gaming the system.

Walk a mile in his/her shoes and report back to me.

Remember HIPPA doesn't allow ANYONE to know another's medical and/or mental health information, except those involved in the individuals case management.

Trust me, there isn't a psych observation ward for PTSD determination, but there are multi-disciplines collaborating behind the scenes on the Vet's behalf.

Veterans:
Hear Me!
No Matter How Bad you were treated in the past after discharge, give it another go, you may meet an advocate like me someday who will fight like heck for you.
Remember-Vets for Vets, do not poo-poo ANYONE'S perceived disability.

YOU cannot see what's going on in their brain/mind, organs, central nervous system, blood and bones, Service Related, so....Shhhh!!! Thx.
Thank you. It makes me so mad that this guy is accusing veterans of faking PTSD. He has no idea what each veteran has experienced. The VA also awards PTSD claims for military sexual trauma, but this guy will probably accuse women AND MEN of faking that too! Disgusting! The OP should be taken down. It’s an insult to us veterans that served this country and this retired guy should be ashamed of himself.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:16 PM

Great idea. My former reply was deleted because I must have said something politically incorrect.

Last edited by vlm790; 11-17-2023 at 04:21 PM. Reason: This thread is insulting to veterans
Old 11-17-2023, 04:25 PM

As a spouse of a combat veteran with all limbs intact, who is 100% disabled because of combat trauma, I would hope a physically “changed” vet isn’t your only criteria in determining a vet’s disabled worthiness.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkinBoutIt View Post
As a spouse of a combat veteran with all limbs intact, who is 100% disabled because of combat trauma, I would hope a physically “changed” vet isn’t your only criteria in determining a vet’s disabled worthiness.
Not at all. But, with hundreds of thousands of charities, donors need to choose which ones they want to give their money to.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Google? Seriously? What background in clinical psychology and experience do you have with veterans to be able to make a determination that veterans are “faking PTSD” claims? Oh that’s right! You don’t! Just google. I just told you exactly what evidence the VA looks for when determining a VA claim for PTSD, but you rely on google. Pathetic. Let me explain it this way: Who are you to say anyone does or doesn’t suffer from PTSD? As far as congress and the VA is concerned, YOU are NO ONE. You and your uninformed opinion don’t matter. The veteran matters and that’s exactly the way it should be. If you don’t want to give to T to T, don’t. No one will miss you or your lousy opinion. ☮️
Quote:
Thank you. It makes me so mad that this guy is accusing veterans of faking PTSD. He has no idea what each veteran has experienced. The VA also awards PTSD claims for military sexual trauma, but this guy will probably accuse women AND MEN of faking that too! Disgusting! The OP should be taken down. It’s an insult to us veterans that served this country and this retired guy should be ashamed of himself.
Perhaps instead of bashing the poster for his lack of knowledge you should have taken a look at his data. Below are just two articles from Google (actually DDG) about veterans who collected benefits (or attempted to) based on fake PTSD claims. Yes, one is from 2010 but the other is from just last year.

Three cases of fraud

Guilty plea

PTSD fraud can and does occur (why would any reasonable person think it would not?), just Google it.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2023, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I rewrote this thread because I just wanted to get opinions about the mission change for the Tunnel to Towers charity, not to create a controversy. I have always considered this charity to be one of my favorites because of their focus on helping veterans with severe physical disabilities suffered in combat to get housing, and because of their exceptional cost efficiency. Now, Frank Siller is appearing in TV commercials asking for donations to help homeless veterans with PTSD. I don't deny that some veterans suffer from PTSD, but I just don't view veterans with PTSD in the same way as veterans who lost their legs in combat. I also believe that some disability claims for PTSD may be fraudulent and I don't trust the current screening process for PTSD claims. Please provide opinions.
To put your mind as ease, my spouse was interviewed for PTSD, along with my accounts of horrific Nam nights I get to relive for the rest of one of our lives. All three of our children sent extensive letters accounting their lives as children, and adults.

VA denied any help for PTSD, as he wasn’t Bad enough, to qualify for help. Without a percentage there isn’t any method for treatment.

Last night during the heavy rain, I had to be awake to watch the 1000th or more times reliving one of the death scenarios in my kitchen. (Mash unit, Rocket Ally with thousands of wounded, dying, or near dead or dead so they could try their best). To keep him safe, and myself safe, I can’t sleep, until it’s finished and returns to sleep. The highlight is he cleans the OR table, puts away instruments, and makes sure his numbers are correct on the back table.

We don’t want the fraud money you are so worried about. Spouses Need Help, for not only their spouse, but their own mental well being.

Last edited by asianthree; 11-17-2023 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:27 PM
Sage

FYI, if you go to the charity website, "guidestar.org" and search "veterans", you will get 35,959 search results. So, there is no shortage of charities for veterans. Choosing a charity to donate to is not an easy choice. I think the Tunnels to Towers charity has been very successful because of their TV commercials and the leadership of Frank Siller. I hope they continue to be successful.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Perhaps instead of bashing the poster for his lack of knowledge you should have taken a look at his data. Below are just two articles from Google (actually DDG) about veterans who collected benefits (or attempted to) based on fake PTSD claims. Yes, one is from 2010 but the other is from just last year.

Three cases of fraud

Guilty plea

PTSD fraud can and does occur (why would any reasonable person think it would not?), just Google it.
Wow! Three cases!
Three cases of fraud doesn’t justify calling thousands of veterans who suffer with PTSD as “fakers”. As I stated before, a veteran has to provide solid medical evidence that an injury occurred and that they have been receiving ongoing treatment. Then there are several evaluations by VA psychiatrists. I have been through the process myself. I would know.
I’ll stop criticizing the OP when he stops insulting veterans with PTSD.

Last edited by PjLyness1965; 11-17-2023 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Three cases of fraud doesn’t justify calling thousands of veterans who suffer with PTSD as “fakers”. As I stated before, a veteran has to provide solid medical evidence that an injury occurred and that they have been receiving ongoing treatment. Then there are several evaluations by VA psychiatrists. I have been told through the process myself. I would know.
Then it is good that that did not happen.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2023, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Then it is good that that did not happen.
Oh, but it did! Let me remind you. Here it is!
“ I just don't view veterans with PTSD in the same way as veterans who lost their legs in combat. I also believe that some disability claims for PTSD may be fraudulent and I don't trust the current screening process for PTSD claims.”
Mr. Retired guy thinks he knows better than the VA psychiatrists (calling veterans fakers) and he flat out admits he doesn’t see veterans with PTSD as worthy as a veteran who lost a limb. Both served, but one is more deserving of the other because they are missing a body part.
Want to keep going or are you done?
Old 11-17-2023, 07:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Oh, but it did! Let me remind you. Here it is!
“ I just don't view veterans with PTSD in the same way as veterans who lost their legs in combat. I also believe that some disability claims for PTSD may be fraudulent and I don't trust the current screening process for PTSD claims.
Mr. Retired guy thinks he knows better than the VA psychiatrists (calling veterans fakers) and he flat out admits he doesn’t see veterans with PTSD as worthy as a veteran who lost a limb. Both served, but one is more deserving of the other because they are missing a body part.
Want to keep going or are you done?
Right there in your quote: *Some* *may* be. If there was even one that was fraudulent then that demonstrates the current screening process is not foolproof and there were four in just those two articles.

Nowhere did he imply that he knows better than the VA psychiatrists.

Take exception to what was written if it offends you, but at least read and understand what was written before taking exception to it.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2023, 08:05 PM
Sage

Note that the context of the thread is about a single private charity, and whether or not donors decide to give money to the charity's mission. It is not about whether a mental disability is the same as a physical disability. In my opinion, Tunnel to Towers has decided to significantly change and to expand their mission. Charity donors can decide to continue to support the charity or not, based on their view of the change in mission. It's their money to spend as they want. But, I certainly did not intend to insult any veteran who is legally entitled to a disability status of any type.
Closed Thread

Tags
veterans, ptsd, charity, disability, veteran

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.