Turnpike Widening US27 to I75

Old 04-14-2024, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

I hope the widening and repaving does include a wall near 470. It will help turnpike noise. Even new pavement is quieter. I also hope they do a cart bridge at 470. There is villages land beside 470 so a MMP could be build to a cart bridge. I believe Gold Wingnut said he expects they will do a bridge there. But we aren’t “isolated” in Dabney/Lake Denham. It’s only a 20 minute cart ride to Eastport over the Bexley Bridge.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teed_Off View Post
Why would you have any confidence about the sound barriers?
Florida statute 335.17 requires that the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) must look at sound abatement as part of any highway projects that will add capacity
“to help protect the public health, welfare and livability”
of the community.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:51 AM
Veteran member

Maybe hard to see in this pic from Google but if you look at the Lake Denham Gatehouse, there is a path right behind the houses but not on 470 that leads to the pike overpass. I'm not sure but this may just be a walking path currently. I could see a cart path leading this way. However, not sure how the cart path would deal with the on/off ramps of the turnpike.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-14-2024, 06:31 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,057 Times in 539 Posts
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
Maybe hard to see in this pic from Google but if you look at the Lake Denham Gatehouse, there is a path right behind the houses but not on 470 that leads to the pike overpass. I'm not sure but this may just be a walking path currently. I could see a cart path leading this way. However, not sure how the cart path would deal with the on/off ramps of the turnpike.

The Villages Florida
I agree, the on off ramps to the turnpike would nix most crossing ideas for golf carts.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 04-14-2024, 06:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
I was not nay-saying. Most of us were aware of the plans to widen. Again, my concern is the expressways. Where will they be?
I’m not sure they know, just know they have a potential for the area. Especially near the 470 corridor. Imagine being able to drive from 42 in Lady Lake to Meggison without circles. A need will come one day, and there certainly are enough people already clogging the roadways on Morse and Buena Vista that would consider using it. Another nugget would be the fact that this hypothetical expressway just so happens to go past the Developers retail section off of 470.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 04-14-2024, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,787 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Zero chance there would be a golf cart lane in either case. A bridge over Warm Springs wouldn't really be useful at all once the Corbin trail section is connected to Bexley probably by this fall. A golf cart lane on the bridge over 470 would be impossible since golf carts are not legally allowed on an county roads like 470, 466A, etc.
Never say never ;-)

Bexely Trail is a 4 lane county road across the Turnpike with cart paths along side.

The 470 bridge will need to be replaced as part off the 470 widening. So the possibility is there.

The old southern Warm Springs bridge probably needs to be replaced for the widening. Significant Commercial space is reserved at that corner. There's already a cart tunnel there and the power lines jog south making room.

Some of these new bridges South of us include pedestrian/bike lanes across the Turnpike bridges. Not that big a leap to make them cart lanes.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7638.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	103664   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7637.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	103665  

Last edited by Altavia; 04-14-2024 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Never say never ;-)

Bexely Trail is a 4 lane county road across the Turnpike with cart paths along side.

The 470 bridge will need to be replaced as part off the 470 widening. So the possibility is there.

The old southern Warm Springs bridge probably needs to be replaced for the widening. Significant Commercial space is reserved at that corner. There's already a cart tunnel there and the power lines jog south making room.

Some of these new bridges South of us include pedestrian/bike lanes across the Turnpike bridges. Not that big a leap to make them cart lanes.
They shouldn’t have to widen the span on Warmsprings, because the existing median gives quite a bit of wiggle room for two more lanes. Do you really see the state spending massive amounts of cash to accommodate cart crossings over a must-have on and off ramp for the state turnpike on 470? It’s not just a bridge with cart paths when you factor in the logistics for such a project.

Old 04-14-2024, 07:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
They shouldn’t have to widen the span on Warmsprings, because the existing median gives quite a bit of wiggle room for two more lanes.

Do you really see the state spending massive amounts of cash to accommodate cart crossings over a must-have on and off ramp for the state turnpike on 470? It’s not just a bridge with cart paths when you factor in the logistics for such a project.
This widening will increase the number of travel lanes from four to eight with accommodations for future express lanes. Work includes pavement reconstruction and bridge replacements.

So they need 2-3 times the existing roadway width.

The five year budget for this is close to one billion dollars,

The Villages was able to have a cart only bridge built to Brownwood and cart paths added to the Bexley Bridge. So I wouldn't rule the possibility out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7640.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	103674   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7642.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	103675   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7648.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	103683  

Last edited by Altavia; 04-14-2024 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:15 AM
Default Cart path over Warm Springs bridge

Quote:
Never say never ;-)

Check out Don Wiley's video #61 - it lays out exactly how a cart path can be added to the Warm Springs bridge without structural changes. The video compares the resulting cart lanes with the Morse Bridge cart lanes.
Lake Oswego, OR
Old 04-14-2024, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwne View Post
Check out Don Wiley's video #61 - it lays out exactly how a cart path can be added to the Warm Springs bridge without structural changes. The video compares the resulting cart lanes with the Morse Bridge cart lanes.
The older Warm Springs Bridge supports are just a few feet from the current roadway so it will definitely be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7644.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	103680   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7643.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	103681  
Old 04-14-2024, 11:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Never say never ;-)
This will NEVER happen. There's basically 0% chance. I'm guessing maybe you bought in Dabney or something and are now hoping that it magically becomes not isolated. The best solution to that is to sell and move to an area in The Villages where you're not relying on future developments that will likely never happen to make your home convenient to amenities.

Quote:
Bexely Trail is a 4 lane county road across the Turnpike with cart paths along side..
Incorrect. Bexley trail is NOT designated as a Florida county road. Here is a list of all county roads in Sumter county.

List of county roads in Sumter County, Florida - Wikipedia

Quote:
There's zero possibility there. You cannot legally drive a golf cart on CR470, or any other county road in Florida.

Quote:
The old southern Warm Springs bridge probably needs to be replaced for the widening.
No it doesn't. That bridge on Warm Springs isn't that old and was built with a long enough span to allow for widening that was already in the plan.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:14 PM
Sage

Your guess of me being in Danby is as incorrect as the rest of your assumptions.

The state apparently had a change of heart after the Waterlilly bridge was built to discourage pedestrians. There now are multiple pedestrian and trail bridges being built across the Turnpike South of here. No reason not to do so here in the future.

Bexley trail is part of the Sumter County road expansion plan and will eventually be turned over to the county along with all the other new county regional roads.

https://www.samanthamerritt.org/road...rowth-in-step/

Central Parkway replaces 470 and there's are cart paths along that road.

The original southern bridge on Warm Springs is old and not wide though for expansion.

The powerlines parallel to the old bridge were relocated south, maybe to leave room for the old bridge to remain in place while building the new.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7648.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	103698   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7647.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	103699   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7646.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	103700   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7650.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	103701   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7644.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	103702  

Last edited by Altavia; 04-16-2024 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:59 PM
Veteran member

Goldwingnut on his live show stated construction is slated to begin in 2026.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Zero chance there would be a golf cart lane in either case. A bridge over Warm Springs wouldn't really be useful at all once the Corbin trail section is connected to Bexley probably by this fall. A golf cart lane on the bridge over 470 would be impossible since golf carts are not legally allowed on an county roads like 470, 466A, etc.
Who says that the golf cart 'lane' would have to be on a county road? Why wouldn't a dedicated golf cart bridge ( like Water Lily) be the practical play to traverse the turnpike at or close to CR470? The outline of the path exists now-and the county has an agreement in place to allow widening of 470 to 4 lanes-Once the 'Wellness' Village is fully developed and land south of CR470 begins full development-the golf cart connectivity will become important. I'd say good chance of me driving my golf cart across the turnpike near 470-in maybe 5 years?
Old 04-15-2024, 11:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Your guess of me being in Danby is as incorrect as the rest of your assumptions.
What is your motivation to want these unnecessary bridges to be built then? The developer is done with adding bridges over SR44 and the turnpike. There's zero need to add more than what's there. I live on the south side of the turnpike.

Once McNeil drive is open end to end to golf carts the parts of TV south of the turnpike will be well connected.

Tags
turnpike, lanes, project, widen, widening

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.