TV Virus numbers in The Sun

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2020, 07:59 AM

I want to share something comforting from the numbers - I am not saying to get less careful and let you guard down but it is still good to know facts, whether bad or good.

I typed "Corona Virus United States Numbers" into my browser and got a graph embedded in the search engine showing cases. However - I noticed there was a pull down menu in the upper left corner of the graph. When I pulled it down, I saw I could change back and forth between cases and deaths. The two graphs showed so very clearly that while we are getting a large number of cases - nearly as many as at the height last April - the deaths are way down.

I hope everyone knows that our numbers are better than many European countries in terms of deaths per million and have been all along.

Last edited by lindaelane; 10-22-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Very strange when you have to hunt for news that is rather important to the residents here.

It does appear that the paper does not want us to know the current statistics.
Doubt that. If it were true they wouldn’t report it at all. I’m glad it’s not front and center every single day. Who gets the paper and only reads the front page anyway. We all know how to turn the pages.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:05 AM

It's sad that Florida can't do better. They spend more time/effort hiding numbers than simply reporting facts. NY has COVID stats by Zip Code.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:10 AM
Sage

Nonsense, FL isn't hiding any numbers. The Florida coronavirus dashboard has cases broken down by zip code and county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteone View Post
It's sad that Florida can't do better. They spend more time/effort hiding numbers than simply reporting facts. NY has COVID stats by Zip Code.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

You’ll have a tough time finding any negative news—like people testing positive or dying—in The Villages Daily Fun. You’re better off looking for another news source.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
You’ll have a tough time finding any negative news—like people testing positive or dying—in The Villages Daily Fun. You’re better off looking for another news source.
That why we have the Internet. I hear all kinds of complaints about the paper but no one is forcing anyone to continue their subscription. I cancelled mine years ago. Not because I didn't like it. I just found that there was more there than I needed or wanted and it kept my recycle full every week. Waste of paper as far as I was concerned. Others use it for the puzzles, activities, happy news, classified, Obits, etc. I had nothing against the paper; just didn't need it.
Makes one wonder when you hear the same folks complaining over and over again about a paper that they continue to pay for, month after month, year after year.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:39 AM

page 3
Old 10-22-2020, 12:01 PM

They are now listed in the FL Local News section. They used to be on the front page.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
First these statistics were on the front page, small but there. Then they were moved to page A5 of the front section of the paper. Today they were in the "Local Section " of the paper. In other words they are slowly being moved to reduce the ability to find them.
The key question is why? It can't be because they are going down at a rapid pace since today, there were 113 new cases. If you go to the local "Village News" you will find them as a highlight of the news. The question is why the most notable paper in the Village's is downplaying the numbers. My best guess is allegedly since the paper is indirectly controlled by the Developer/Owner of the Villages it will only report the news to protect the sale of homes vs need to know by the residents. Sad state of affairs when allegedly home sales overrules public knowledge and safety?
Makes you wonder about a more general macro question for America throughout History. Which is more important - the average individual's quality of life - or the power and the greed of the upper, upper class? Different societies and countries have had many variations of answers to that basic question.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Seems a LOT of people either don't understand, or are intentionally obfuscating, the situation. The people who are dying are dying from complications of COVID-19. That means - the virus is producing a pneumonia in their lungs that they end up dying from.

Those who get sick, and don't die, will be sick with a pneumonia, and all the POTENTIAL resulting illnesses that come with surviving pneumonia. Including permanent lung damage, heart damage, joint pain, susceptibility to other illnesses in the future, etc.

People who already had some kind of heart or lung problem, who ALSO get the COVID-19 pneumonia, will have a higher risk of death, and a higher risk of the lasting debilitating damage that results from surviving the pneumonia - if it doesn't kill them first.

The death rate, at this point, is not even all that relevant. What's more relevant now is the burden placed on society to care for all the people suffering from lung and heart damage AFTER SURVIVING Covid-19. If that doesn't take a significant hit on our economy, I don't know what will. Dead people don't cost a dime, once the funeral expenses are paid off. The ones who will need medical care for the rest of their lives and can no longer work to earn that care - they're the ones who'll cost us dearly.

So to those who care only about economy...consider that opening the state, opening the country, NOT closing it when we should have, not keeping it closed while we should have, not mandating masks, not mandating social distancing - has increased the number of sick people who will now be a burden on the tax payer.

Kind of makes me glad I'm in the "just barely above poverty" level. It means *I* won't have to pay that bill to cover the sick people in this country.

But you will.
Agreed, good post!
Old 10-22-2020, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
Doubt that. If it were true they wouldn’t report it at all. I’m glad it’s not front and center every single day. Who gets the paper and only reads the front page anyway. We all know how to turn the pages.
We do know how to turn the pages but why keep moving the info?
Old 10-22-2020, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Makes one wonder when you hear the same folks complaining over and over again about a paper that they continue to pay for, month after month, year after year.
Constructive criticism
Old 10-22-2020, 12:57 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Actually, if you go to the Department of Health dashboard and click on "SEE STATE REPORT" about 8 or 9 pages in there are breakdowns by location based upon zip code.

Here were yesterday's numbers:

720 The VIllages/Sumter County
39 The VILlages/Lake County
5 The Villages/Marion County
351 Lady Lake/Lake County
43. Lady Lake/Sumter County
Did I read somewhere It was purported the Charter School here only reports their cases to the Daily Sun? If true, how do those numbers get to the County or State of Florida Health Departments? I see a lot of people inside and outside without masks. I was pleased to see a sign on Target’s door a couple days ago saying masks were mandatory to enter their store. I must admit - I liked that.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Constructive criticism
Constructive criticism OR plain old whining?

An old mentor once said to me, not to come complaining to him unless I had a decent solution.

A private newspaper has the right to organize it's product any way it wishes. It is the customer's right to cancel their subscription.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Can someone help me with finding the daily Florida and TV virus numbers in The Sun. It seems to have become a guessing game on what page they are today.

I saw someone from Dade County last evening saying his numbers in Dade are escalating.
Go into the Villages News, they give you more than Daily Sun
Closed Thread

Tags
numbers, sun, virus, dade, today

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.