Universal Masking for Source Control

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2021, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagele View Post
You're kinda assuming that any child not getting a vaccine will die. I think a case could be made that children would be better off catching COVID rather than trying to protect them with a vaccine. They're not really at risk if they catch the disease. I've seen some reports claiming children are exposed to more risk of harm taking the vaccine vs catching the virus. Let them develop natural immunity which is infinitely better than the vaccines.
Not assuming that at all. I will assume that a vaccinated child is far less likely to die of COVID than one that is not vaccinated. While the mortality rate among children is low, they are at some degree of risk if they "catch the disease". As far as the "danger" of the vaccine---that's a bunch of hype from anti-vax groups with an agenda that is adverse to the common good and is completely unsubstantiated. And I don't know how much better natural immunity is vs. the vaccines, but I can guarantee it isn't "infinitely"
Old 09-16-2021, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

Gotta love the death culture. Yeah, parents know best. Is that why some leave them in cars?

Child COVID Cases Surge to 500k in Two Weeks as Pfizer Waits for Data on Vaccines for Kids
Old 09-16-2021, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Not really. Based on a lot of data, I still believe masks are relatively useless except in a few settings. Outdoors----useless except in a rugby huddle. Riding alone---useless. However, indoors when social distancing cannot be guaranteed around unvaccinated or immunocompromised people they will do some good.

School kids under 12 haven't been vaccinated, therefore I agree with masking when they are in the classroom or on the bus, even though the mortality rate in this group is low. I see no reason for a mask on the playground. l.
Agree, if nothing else, a mask minimizes children putting their fingers up their noise or in their mouth.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Not assuming that at all. I will assume that a vaccinated child is far less likely to die of COVID than one that is not vaccinated. While the mortality rate among children is low, they are at some degree of risk if they "catch the disease". As far as the "danger" of the vaccine---that's a bunch of hype from anti-vax groups with an agenda that is adverse to the common good and is completely unsubstantiated. And I don't know how much better natural immunity is vs. the vaccines, but I can guarantee it isn't "infinitely"
LOL. Well, maybe I was using its secondary meaning, "to a very great degree; immensely". Yes, probably not the best word to use.....

Not sure I agree about the hype. Myocarditis and pericarditis are well documented side effects in youngsters, especially males. I think there may even be warnings now on both Pfizer and Moderna.

I simply personally believe kids don't need the vaccine. The death rate was so low even before they became eligible for the vaccine, it doesn't make sense. Let them get the virus and develop immunity which is to a very great degree, immensely better than the vaccine.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
While I can't speak to the entire graph, Singapore had 807 new cases in the past 24 hours. This tracks with the graph. I don't know where that graph was made, but I do know that Singapore has been bouncing alone the baseline of near zero for some time.

The data can be found here:

Singapore - COVID-19 Overview - Johns Hopkins
Thank you.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
And yet, you admit that you do not wear a mask. Some folks would call that being a hypocrite.
And do not tell me that you can do that because you are vaccinated. Children seem to have just as much resistance to the virus as the vaccinated seniors.
Correct.....I have not worn a mask since I have been fully vaccinated and do not plan to do so anywhere unless it is required. I don't believe I am a hipocrite because I want UN-vaccinated children to mask up in the classroom. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Not really. Based on a lot of data, I still believe masks are relatively useless except in a few settings. Outdoors----useless except in a rugby huddle. Riding alone---useless. However, indoors when social distancing cannot be guaranteed around unvaccinated or immunocompromised people they will do some good.

School kids under 12 haven't been vaccinated, therefore I agree with masking when they are in the classroom or on the bus, even though the mortality rate in this group is low. I see no reason for a mask on the playground.

I generally hate "mandates" but in this case I can't see leaving a decision that affects the health of a whole school to individual parents who do not possess the expertise required. A local school board is no smarter either. That's why I advocate a state or national mandate for masks in school classrooms and busses for those under 12 until the children's version of the vaccines are approved. As far as parents who will refuse to have their kids vaccinated, place them in a "basket of deplorables" but congratulate them for enhancing the gene pool.
Thank you for your expert opinion. You have validated my stance and I thank you for that too.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Presactly!
May I borrow this word from you. I LOVE it!
Old 09-16-2021, 04:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
"A mask mandate for children in school is necessary to slow the spread of this Covid virus."

That's all it will do, is slow it somewhat. Masks (I wear one) are for transitory contact. They help you in grocery stores, brief meetings, etc. They will do next to nothing to stop the spread when people are sitting a few feet from each other for hours per day five days a week. Some schools have even mandated masks for outdoor sports like track. There is ZERO science for requiring something so stupid.

Google "phycological effects of child masking" and read a few articles. Perhaps you will change your mind.
There are "psychological effects" when children are kept out of the classroom too. Masking is the lesser of two evils, IMHO. I'd rather see the children in the classroom, in person learning and interacting with others than see them schooled on a computer screen at home. These kids need to be social distanced in the classroom along with universal masking and that is the safest way to go.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Bwaahahaha! In age group 0 to 17 there have been 439 covid deaths

In age group 0 to 17 there have been 4,465,332 confirmed covid cases. Because kids are asymptomatic at higher rates than adults CDC estimates 26,838,244 total cases in kids 0 to 17.

Lets do the math. Using confirmed cases (4,465,332) the chance of a kid dying from covid is 0.009%. Thats 9/100,000 as a fraction

Using CDC estimated number for total cases 0 to 17 (26,838,244) the chance of a kid dying from covid is 0.001%. That's 1/100,000 as a fraction.

Both of these calculations show a better chance of survival (by far) than a fully vaccinated adult.

Estimated COVID-19 Burden | CDC

What a ridiculous endeavor and waste it would be to vaccinate 74 million kids and make them sit in school with useless facemasks.

Every kid counts right? About 70,000 die every year, and we are going to inject all 74 million of them with a vaccine they clearly don't need.

What a laugh.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkBlogW View Post

In age group 0 to 17 there have been 4,465,332 confirmed covid cases. Because kids are asymptomatic at higher rates than adults CDC estimates 26,838,244 total cases in kids 0 to 17.

Lets do the math. Using confirmed cases (4,465,332) the chance of a kid dying from covid is 0.009%. Thats 9/100,000 as a fraction

Using CDC estimated number for total cases 0 to 17 (26,838,244) the chance of a kid dying from covid is 0.001%. That's 1/100,000 as a fraction.

Both of these calculations show a better chance of survival (by far) than a fully vaccinated adult.

What a ridiculous endeavor and waste it would be to vaccinate 74 million kids and make them sit in school with useless facemasks.

Every kid counts right? About 70,000 die every year, and we are going to inject all 74 million of them with a vaccine they clearly don't need.

What a laugh.
Off the top of my head, I can think of 439 parents that aren't laughing
Old 09-16-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Off the top of my head, I can think of 439 parents that aren't laughing
I can think of 70,000 other parents that aren't laughing, but that's not relevant to a discussion of whether it is a rational health policy to vaccinate 74 million kids in a foolish attempt to lower chance of covid death from 1/100000 to 0/100000 when there are many other health problems that kill more kids every year.

"I will assume that a vaccinated child is far less likely to die of COVID than one that is not vaccinated"

Apparently someone was asleep in math class. Going from 1/100000 to 0/100000 is definitely not "far less likely"

It's 0.001% less likely.

Last edited by SkBlogW; 09-16-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
I can think of 70,000 other parents that aren't laughing, but that's not relevant to a discussion of whether it is a rational health policy to vaccinate 74 million kids in a foolish attempt to lower chance of covid death from 1/100000 to 0/100000 when there are many other health problems that kill more kids every year.

"I will assume that a vaccinated child is far less likely to die of COVID than one that is not vaccinated"

Apparently someone was asleep in math class. Going from 1/100000 to 0/100000 is definitely not "far less likely"

It's 0.001% less likely.
If we accept your numbers, which I need to check
Old 09-16-2021, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Why should anyone in the Villages care about whether children are put in harm's way? Their kids are all grown.

Let the parents of today's schoolkids decide whether or not to teach their kids to look both ways before crossing the street. Let them decide whether or not to give their kids a shotgun for their 10th birthday, or let their 12-year-old take the golf cart for a spin when they visit. Let the parents of today's kids decide whether or not they should be inconvenienced by a mask so that they don't catch a deadly disease that they aren't eligible to vaccinate against yet.

Let them decide whether or not to let them play with fireworks in the back yard.

Let them decide whether or not to bring up irresponsible children who were never taught that common sense is a good thing to have, and that as members of civilization, they are expected to grow up to be civilized adults.

Y'all had your turn making those decisions for YOUR kids. If the generation failed, it's because you failed them. Now sit back and let them raise or kill their own children as they see fit.
My youngest just graduated from HS and I could not agree with you more OrangeBlossomBaby.

As a parent, I was happy to see schools reopen last year. I feel that the kids in Florida benefited greatly from having in class instruction, being able to participate in sports and other activities and simply being around their friends. When the mask requirement was lifted towards the end of the school year that was a good thing in my opinion - I have felt very fortunate to be living in Florida because I think Florida schools got it right. But this school year I no longer have a kid in school. Both of my kids are now young adults in college.

I think the parents of school children know what they are doing and no one loves their children as much as they do. Raising kids is hard enough without all of the contentiousness surrounding COVID. I'm glad that this is no longer my fight and I wish the parents of school children the best of luck going forward. I know that they've got this.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:13 PM
Sage

Quote:

What a laugh.
This may be an unpopular opinion but here goes..........

OK, children may not "need" the vaccine to protect them but those children need to be vaccinated to contribute to a much needed herd immunity. Our country will never reach herd immunity without vaccinated children. There are adults who can not be vaccinated due to medical reasons and they need the protection of herd immunity.

Tags
universal, masking, mask, wears, parents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.