US Fighter shoots down enemy in air to air strike

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 AM
Default US Fighter shoots down enemy in air to air strike

It just goes to show you our restraint until we have little choice.

BREAKING: US F/A-18 Fighter Shoots Down Enemy Fighter Jet in First Air to Air Conflict in 18 Years | Tribunist
Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Let's show the world who has superior air power and will push back when being shoved.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Sage

Think I read it was the first US air to air shoot down in 20 years. Kosovo being the last time.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I think there is never any doubt whether it's air force, navy, or marine the united states is always first in air superiority. Fly, fight, and win!
Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 PM
Sage
Default US Fighter shoots down enemy in air to air strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I think there is never any doubt whether it's air force, navy, or marine the united states is always first in air superiority. Fly, fight, and win!

Dangerous to think this way. I'm sorry to say this but American arrogance will someday take us down. It's time to think of ourselves as part of a global team, maverick thinking will not survive into the 20 1st century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

get ready for #3
Old 06-20-2017, 07:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Dangerous to think this way. I'm sorry to say this but American arrogance will someday take us down. It's time to think of ourselves as part of a global team, maverick thinking will not survive into the 20 1st century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't feel I'm being arrogant or being maverick. I don't believe it's wrong for our young men and women to defend themselves by any possible threat,I just have pride in my country and the service I was part of. By the way I forgot about our Army's air combat capabilities.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

That's nice, now if we could only teach our Navy how to avoid cargo ships will still be in the ballgame.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Didn't feel I'm being arrogant or being maverick. I don't believe it's wrong for our young men and women to defend themselves by any possible threat,I just have pride in my country and the service I was part of. By the way I forgot about our Army's air combat capabilities.
I agree. My flag will fly on the fourth of July. You Don, and most of the people who live here are old fashioned patriots. Proud to know you and Ellen.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Unhappy

Tensions between U.S., Russia rising in Syria - Videos - CBS News

This is worrisome to say the least.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:58 AM
Default How the world sees us

The world sees us as so predictable because that what we've been. We worry about what other countries will do when we respond as we should. It's time we changed that and became less predictable and other countries would show us much more respect. You can call it respect or you can call it what it is - fear. If there's no fear, other countries will step on us. Take Korea for example - we fear what they will do. Really, they ought to fear what we might do.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
This incident has nothing to do with US forces defending THEMSELVES from any possible threat. It is so much more complex than that.

The US is supporting a Kurdish group that is fighting ISIS, the SDF. This group while fighting ISIS is opposed by the Assad government as SDF wishes to establish a new government in Syrian territory. And the Assad government is supported by Russia, in some part because Russia also opposes ISIS and sees the Assad government as the best military to defeat ISIS. So Russia, Syria, the US, and the SDF are all fighting ISIS. And by the way, so is our buddy IRAN which bombed ISIS this week. So that would make it seem they are our allies in the fight against ISIS.

But the Assad government is not just fighting ISIS, it is fighting the anti-ISIS militias that also want to defeat the Assad regime, like the SDF.

So the Syrian air force attacked the SDF and one of our pilots who was not threated in any way, and there were no reports of US forces on the ground, shot down the Syrian jet for attacking our unofficial ally. But the Syrians are Russia's official ally.

Turkey, our official ally and a NATO member, and whose government has been frequently praised by US officials, of course opposes the SDF which is our ally because the Turkish government is fighting all Kurdish forces.

So why is ok for our jets to shoot down a Russian ally's jet when that jet is not targeting US forces?

Here is the explanation given:
Quote:
A statement by the American-led task force that is fighting the Islamic State stressed that it was taken under rules of engagement permitting the “collective self-defense” of its Syrian partners.
How would the US respond to the Russians shooting down a British or French jet, our official allies. Would the US accept such a reverse policy by Russia and allow Russia to use collective self defense to support its Syrian partners? That would mean Russian pilots would be allowed to shoot down US pilots who are operating in support of anti-Assad forces. See it is much more complicated than "we have air superiority"
Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
This incident has nothing to do with US forces defending THEMSELVES from any possible threat. It is so much more complex than that.

The US is supporting a Kurdish group that is fighting ISIS, the SDF. This group while fighting ISIS is opposed by the Assad government as SDF wishes to establish a new government in Syrian territory. And the Assad government is supported by Russia, in some part because Russia also opposes ISIS and sees the Assad government as the best military to defeat ISIS. So Russia, Syria, the US, and the SDF are all fighting ISIS. And by the way, so is our buddy IRAN which bombed ISIS this week. So that would make it seem they are our allies in the fight against ISIS.

But the Assad government is not just fighting ISIS, it is fighting the anti-ISIS militias that also want to defeat the Assad regime, like the SDF.

So the Syrian air force attacked the SDF and one of our pilots who was not threated in any way, and there were no reports of US forces on the ground, shot down the Syrian jet for attacking our unofficial ally. But the Syrians are Russia's official ally.

Turkey, our official ally and a NATO member, and whose government has been frequently praised by US officials, of course opposes the SDF which is our ally because the Turkish government is fighting all Kurdish forces.

So why is ok for our jets to shoot down a Russian ally's jet when that jet is not targeting US forces?

How would the US respond to the Russians shooting down a British or French jet, our official allies. Would the US accept such a reverse policy by Russia and allow Russia to use collective self defense to support its Syrian partners? That would mean Russian pilots would be allowed to shoot down US pilots who are operating in support of anti-Assad forces. See it is much more complicated than "we have air superiority"
It's much appreciated when someone like yourself, can actually get past a couple sentence talking point...and delve into the truth.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

I don't doubt it's complicated but I don't feel I'm the one to second guess our fighter pilot. I wasn't there. For all we know he may have been locked onto by a Syrian or other by accident and made the decision to fire. Being it's in a tight air combat theater and Russia wanted to stop collaberating to prevent things like this from happening in the first place, I don't to hear them bitch. We all know leaders of countries always tell the truth.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:27 AM
Default Misguided

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Let's show the world who has superior air power and will push back when being shoved.

What are we doing there again?
Closed Thread

Tags
air, restraint, choice, show, shoots

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.