Vaccine fails 5% of the time - please stay home

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2021, 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=LiverpoolWalrus;1918636]In talking to folks, they don’t seem to realize that the 95% efficacy rate of Covid vaccines means that the vaccine will not offer complete protection 5% of the time. If the vaccine fails in 5% of people who receive the vaccine and are later infected, that 5% still has a risk of mild symptoms.*

So even if we assume that everyone is vaccinated, 5 out of every 100 people are still going to be susceptible to Covid. The good news for everyone, inoculated or not is (and it’s the same good news we’ve had all along):

1. Not everyone who is out and about is going to get infected. Far from it. Covid has only infected a minority of the population. Yes there are millions of symptom-free infected people who don’t know they are/were infected, but when you tally the total of known and statistical infections, the majority of the population has not been infected, even after a year.

2. IF you are unvaccinated and get infected, you have an 80% chance of having no symptoms or a mild case with no long term effects. Repeat - 80%. That percentage is the aggregate and accounts for all age groups with or without comorbidities. And it means that if you are quite elderly AND have a compromised immune system, you’ll probably STILL be okay. This fact is all over the internet from reputable sources, but the media doesn’t publicize it. It also means, however, that you have a 20% chance of having symptoms, perhaps severe symptoms.

That said, the vaccinated people are not 100% protected. They still have a 5% chance of having symptoms and I’m not sure they understand this. They do seem to understand, because Fauci said so, that they do still have a chance of being a carrier and passing it on to someone else if they get infected.

So I ask: Most of us were VERY concerned when we had a 20% chance. Some were petrified. Why aren’t we still wringing our hands and clutching our pearls with a 5% chance? Is it because the vaccine seems to be 100% effective against hospitalization and death?*

The only solution is people need to continue to stay home. No restaurants, no town squares, continue to have your goods delivered to your home. Keep them quarantined for a week and then sanitize them. Never touch your face with unwashed hands. No guests of any kind in your home.

And if you do need to go out, wear two masks, stay 6 feet apart. And don’t shake hands with anyone.

That’s how you stay safe.

Me, I have not left my home in a year, and I will stay home until Covid disappears whether I get vaccinated or not.

* Source: COVID-19 vaccines: What does 95% efficacy actually mean? | Live Science[/QUOTE

Seriously Dude,

There is no 100% guarantee of ANYTHING in life! Just stop with the doomsday crap and get on with your life - or not - as you see fit. TOV - how about just stop allowing postings like this and place it under you political ban.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:44 AM

I wondered about that too!
Old 03-21-2021, 09:59 AM
Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
In talking to folks, they don’t seem to realize that the 95% efficacy rate of Covid vaccines means that the vaccine will not offer complete protection 5% of the time. If the vaccine fails in 5% of people who receive the vaccine and are later infected, that 5% still has a risk of mild symptoms.*

So even if we assume that everyone is vaccinated, 5 out of every 100 people are still going to be susceptible to Covid. The good news for everyone, inoculated or not is (and it’s the same good news we’ve had all along):

1. Not everyone who is out and about is going to get infected. Far from it. Covid has only infected a minority of the population. Yes there are millions of symptom-free infected people who don’t know they are/were infected, but when you tally the total of known and statistical infections, the majority of the population has not been infected, even after a year.

2. IF you are unvaccinated and get infected, you have an 80% chance of having no symptoms or a mild case with no long term effects. Repeat - 80%. That percentage is the aggregate and accounts for all age groups with or without comorbidities. And it means that if you are quite elderly AND have a compromised immune system, you’ll probably STILL be okay. This fact is all over the internet from reputable sources, but the media doesn’t publicize it. It also means, however, that you have a 20% chance of having symptoms, perhaps severe symptoms.

That said, the vaccinated people are not 100% protected. They still have a 5% chance of having symptoms and I’m not sure they understand this. They do seem to understand, because Fauci said so, that they do still have a chance of being a carrier and passing it on to someone else if they get infected.

So I ask: Most of us were VERY concerned when we had a 20% chance. Some were petrified. Why aren’t we still wringing our hands and clutching our pearls with a 5% chance? Is it because the vaccine seems to be 100% effective against hospitalization and death?*

The only solution is people need to continue to stay home. No restaurants, no town squares, continue to have your goods delivered to your home. Keep them quarantined for a week and then sanitize them. Never touch your face with unwashed hands. No guests of any kind in your home.

And if you do need to go out, wear two masks, stay 6 feet apart. And don’t shake hands with anyone.

That’s how you stay safe.

Me, I have not left my home in a year, and I will stay home until Covid disappears whether I get vaccinated or not.

* Source: COVID-19 vaccines: What does 95% efficacy actually mean? | Live Science
It's sad that you choose to live in fear and trust the data over this politicized event. Sure it's dangerous to a minority of the population; many things are.

The real heart of the matter is that we are responsible for defining what safe is for ourselves and weigh perceived and known risks.

I respect your decision to hide and cower until the trustworthy politicians tell you it's all clear. Please respect the decision of others to live, take risks and work to keep the country open so that you have something to come back to...if the politicians really want this to go away.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:01 AM

Doesn't sound like the life your trying to save by staying home for a year is going to get any better given you logic. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Careful Dan, most are going to believe this. It’s not just TOTV, I’ve noticed the gullibility quotient is through the roof on all social mania. Interesting commentary about human nature and how easy it is to...well you fill in the blank.
The old adage ...... “...if you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$hit...” is definitely in affect here.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
This is some harsh reality for all of you who are planning to stay indoors, wear masks, socially distance and avoid contract with other humans until this pandemic ends. We are battling a coronavirus. It was first discovered in animals in 1931 (90 years ago). The first confirmed coronavirus case with a human was reported in 1965 (56 years ago). It is only the covid-19 variant that was found in humans in 2019 and that has already mutated into different variants (which may or may not be treated with the current vaccines). If you are serious about staying the course until the coronavirus is eradicated, you aren't likely to ever resume any form of a "normal" life. As an additional piece of information, the coronavirus does not kill everyone who gets it. In the United States, 1.8% of those reported as having covid-19 die. Many of those have additional issues.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:08 AM
Default No Hermit life!

This virus is not going away for a long time, if ever.

If you want to be a hermit for the rest of your life, go for it.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:11 AM

You stay home. Not us.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:16 AM

Sadly, a significant minority of Villagers actually think this way.
Closed Thread

Tags
infected, chance, people, home, stay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.