Vaccine Good News

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2021, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Vaccine Good News

For all of my Florida friends that are complaining about how bad things are here with regard to getting the Covid vaccine, did you know that Florida is number on in the nation for shots in the arm per capita? I know that many are frustrated but you have to realize that only a certain amount of doses are sent to the state with each delivery. Depending on how many are sent, 6 to 10 times as many people are applying for them. As more and more people get vaccinated, the odds will improve. The logistical difficulty related to these vaccines are unprecedented. The last time something like this was tried was the Salk polio vaccine and that was distributed through the school system. It was easy as it didn't require storage and transportation at sub freezing temperature and the kids were all in school. This vaccine presents many more difficult challenges. As of now, about 40% of Florida residents over the age of 65 have been vaccinated. I'd say that pretty good for the first six weeks or so. By using retail establishments, super markets, pharmacies and the distribution system here is far better than any other state. So as bad as you think things might be here, be thankful that you don't live in places like New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts or California where their system is truly screwed up. Florida is doing a great job with this vaccine.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 02-14-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,478 Times in 549 Posts

It’s good to get perspective on this. We got our second Moderna shot last Wednesday and consider us lucky. Our granddaughter is getting married in March, and I wanted to attend. Now I will, and also be able to visit with others. Will still wear a mask, but level of anxiety will be so much lower.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:22 AM

Thanks. Very good points, and a bright spot for sure. Good to know distribution is working well in Fl. I am in Michigan. Very hard to get the vaccine here.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Great post. Some will still whine and complain.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
For all of my Florida friends that are complaining about how bad things are here with regard to getting the Covid vaccine, did you know that Florida is number on in the nation for shots in the arm per capita? I know that many are frustrated but you have to realize that only a certain amount of doses are sent to the state with each delivery. Depending on how many are sent, 6 to 10 times as many people are applying for them. As more and more people get vaccinated, the odds will improve. The logistical difficulty related to these vaccines are unprecedented. The last time something like this was tried was the Salk polio vaccine and that was distributed through the school system. It was easy as it didn't require storage and transportation at sub freezing temperature and the kids were all in school. This vaccine presents many more difficult challenges. As of now, about 40% of Florida residents over the age of 65 have been vaccinated. I'd say that pretty good for the first six weeks or so. By using retail establishments, super markets, pharmacies and the distribution system here is far better than any other state. So as bad as you think things might be here, be thankful that you don't live in places like New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts or California where their system is truly screwed up. Florida is doing a great job with this vaccine.
Can't say much for Sumter county doing it's part
Old 02-14-2021, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the upbeat and fact based message. Refreshing!
Old 02-14-2021, 12:28 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtorc View Post
Sorry to interrupt the pity party, but you couldn't be more wrong. Sumter county has continuously led the state in percentage of citizens who have been vaccinated.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:57 PM

Sister and brother in law live in Massachusetts and have both received their vaccinations.

I'm still waiting in Sumter County.

Curious as to what percentage of the 60% are choosing not to be vaccinated? I personally know of two who won't.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Sorry to interrupt the pity party, but you couldn't be more wrong. Sumter county has continuously led the state in percentage of citizens who have been vaccinated.
We also lead the state in the number of folks eligible (over 65) to get the vaccine. By a lot.

Of those 65 and older who have at gotten at least the first vaccine we are lagging the state average. State average is 38%. We are at 33%.

Of those 85 and over we are failing miserably. State average is 36%, we are at 23%

I suspect the reason is those closer to 65 are willing to travel to get their vaccines while those 85 and over are less able to travel.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
We also lead the state in the number of folks eligible (over 65) to get the vaccine. By a lot.
For comparison, if all Seniors in Sumter Co were vaccinated we would be at 62% for all people 16 and over in the county.

If all the Seniors in Florida were vaccinated we would be at 20%.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I live in Sumter and I’ll admit they got off to a slow start but we both got 2 doses with little problem
Old 02-14-2021, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

I find it funny, the ones that got shot says doing good job, ones that can’t get shots say doing lousy job.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:40 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Let's separate the unprepared Sumter Health Department from Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie, etc. The latter have stepped up big time. The former is an understaffed bureaucracy not equipped to handle this pandemic.

Just today, I saw shots being administered at Pinellas Winn Dixie, Leesburg Walmart and Walmart Market at Colony.( shopping list from SWMBO that required 3 stops) We got both our shots at Publix after wasting countless hours and travel trying to secure such from Lake and Sumter HD's.

Governor Desantis was smart to get the private sector involved and that is why we now lead the Nation in shots given for those most vulnerable to Covid.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I must agree. I got both shots in Lake County in January.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:51 PM

Don't know about the OP's claims.

As of Friday, percentage of distributed vaccines that have been administered: Florida 68.49%, NY 68.19, NJ 67.6, CA 65.6, MA 64. Lowest Kansas at 59%, highest Utah 88%. Is Florida really that great?
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, florida, system, vaccinated, school

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.