Vaccine Good News

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtorc View Post
Can't say much for Sumter county doing it's part
Have you checked recently? I was able to get 2 appointments at Publix and one at Winn Dixie. I went to the first one and cancelled the other 2. They thanked me for cancelling the other 2 so they could open it to others. It seems that many don't bother cancelling and their spot never gets filled. Guess they just care about themselves.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
Sister and brother in law live in Massachusetts and have both received their vaccinations.

I'm still waiting in Sumter County.

Curious as to what percentage of the 60% are choosing not to be vaccinated? I personally know of two who won't.
I come from Massachusetts and follow Bakers reports. They should consider themselves very very very lucky.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
For all of my Florida friends that are complaining about how bad things are here with regard to getting the Covid vaccine, did you know that Florida is number on in the nation for shots in the arm per capita? I know that many are frustrated but you have to realize that only a certain amount of doses are sent to the state with each delivery. Depending on how many are sent, 6 to 10 times as many people are applying for them. As more and more people get vaccinated, the odds will improve. The logistical difficulty related to these vaccines are unprecedented. The last time something like this was tried was the Salk polio vaccine and that was distributed through the school system. It was easy as it didn't require storage and transportation at sub freezing temperature and the kids were all in school. This vaccine presents many more difficult challenges. As of now, about 40% of Florida residents over the age of 65 have been vaccinated. I'd say that pretty good for the first six weeks or so. By using retail establishments, super markets, pharmacies and the distribution system here is far better than any other state. So as bad as you think things might be here, be thankful that you don't live in places like New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts or California where their system is truly screwed up. Florida is doing a great job with this vaccine.
Luckily, I starred out dirt poor. I went through hell to EARN my way to where I am. The truly minor things that people complain about, makes me wonder what would happen if anything truly got BAD.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:50 AM

But I'm sure you still want me to keep wearing the mask, which has no science behind it, to protect you.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:05 AM

I did a little research and could not verify your findings. All the information I found places Florida somewhere in the middle by either per capita or shots administered as a percentage of shots issued, with NY and NJ close by.
I am happy that across the nation various states leadership have all finally started pulling their head out of their butt and are getting vaccines out.
But I am still not happy with the failure to plan. We are just now figuring out the possibility of using pharmacies? And our less computer savvy seniors are having difficulty nation wide in getting on the vaccine lists.
In any case, I am glad people are getting shots and it appears we will have 100 million vaccinated in 100 days. I figure I'll get mine sometime in April. Although I am just now a 1 yr cancer survivor, I am only 64 and not eligible. And yes I know physicians can administer vaccines to high risk groups but physicians haven't been allotted any vaccines so its a moot point.
As someone else said, the people who have been vaccinated seem much happier than those still waiting.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:10 AM

I'm glad to hear so many have been able to get shots, gives me hope. I have been trying to get my 86 yr old mom and 90 yr old dad in somewhere but have had no luck. I got them on the GMR list but I have been unsuccessful with Publix and WinnDixie and Walmart sites just always say nothing available. Neither could manage waiting in line for so long at Leesburg. I had hoped my mom's oncologist could pull some strings but no such luck.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:11 AM

Family in Virginia, Washington,DC, and Tennessee have all been vaccinated, with none over 65, while we wait here in Sumter County
Old 02-15-2021, 09:14 AM

Thank you for this. I have been trying to say the same thing to anyone listening. You have a much better way of explaining how lucky we are.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:18 AM

Great post! People are quick to blame our Governor who I guess is responsible for manufacturing the vaccines, and also bashing the developer here who has no role in this. Bottom line is that you can’t distribute vaccines that you don’t have! I can’t imagine living any place other than Florida throughout all of this with being held prisoner in my home, schools closed for a year, and highly restrictive movement and businesses closed in so many states that we’ve all come from. The naysayers are welcome to head back to where they came from. Thanks for the post!😊
Old 02-15-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtorc View Post
Can't say much for Sumter county doing it's part
You are sooooo wrong! Sumter Cty is doing a fabulous job! Don't forget, the administration of the vaccine depends on the distribution of the vaccine....in other words, If the County doesn't have any vaccine, they can't distribute it. Our Gov has done an excellent job of getting the vaccine distributed out there in all of Florida for administration according to the plan (65 and older first.) I have been lucky to have received both my shots (Moderna) and am very grateful.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:23 AM

Actually when you look at the stats actual stats, not the fake ones, CA is ahead of FL on the per capita shots given and they have lots more people.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
For all of my Florida friends that are complaining about how bad things are here with regard to getting the Covid vaccine, did you know that Florida is number on in the nation for shots in the arm per capita? I know that many are frustrated but you have to realize that only a certain amount of doses are sent to the state with each delivery. Depending on how many are sent, 6 to 10 times as many people are applying for them. As more and more people get vaccinated, the odds will improve. The logistical difficulty related to these vaccines are unprecedented. The last time something like this was tried was the Salk polio vaccine and that was distributed through the school system. It was easy as it didn't require storage and transportation at sub freezing temperature and the kids were all in school. This vaccine presents many more difficult challenges. As of now, about 40% of Florida residents over the age of 65 have been vaccinated. I'd say that pretty good for the first six weeks or so. By using retail establishments, super markets, pharmacies and the distribution system here is far better than any other state. So as bad as you think things might be here, be thankful that you don't live in places like New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts or California where their system is truly screwed up. Florida is doing a great job with this vaccine.
There are also a ton of complaints about Sumter County and the vaccination rate in Sumter County is more than double that of Florida as a whole.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsport View Post
Actually when you look at the stats actual stats, not the fake ones, CA is ahead of FL on the per capita shots given and they have lots more people.
According to the CDC site CDC COVID Data Tracker , today, Florida is doing a better job than California in administering vaccines.

In total doses administered Florida has done 16,146 doses per 100,000 people and California has done 14,731 per 100,00 people.

In terms of people who have had 2 doses Florida is way ahead of California. Florida has given two does to 5,038 per 100,000 people and California has done 3,258 per 100,000 people.

These numbers change from day to day
Old 02-15-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I heard on the internet it is West Virginia - must be true !
Old 02-15-2021, 09:48 AM

Since Publix added more locations got the first appointment for today at Publix Inverness. Only on the computer 20 minutes instead of 2-1/2-3 hours the last three times I tried.
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccine, florida, system, vaccinated, school

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.