Vaping. Is it considered smoking?

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,568 Times in 513 Posts
Default Vaping. Is it considered smoking?

I was in two eating establishments this week that don't allow smoking and individuals came in with these devices. Discussions ensued between management and the individuals with the individuals finally stopping their sucking on them. They look as nasty as cigarettes.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

A smoker will say no, not the same. Since the issue is supposed to be secondhand smoke dangers, people should be allowed to smoke them in public. A non smoker will say it is still smoking and insist it be stopped immediately.

How it looks is not the issue and should not be the issue. How it affects the health of others should be the issue. If they are going to ban public use of the electronic cigarettes then all scented products should be banned since scents are known to cause asthma attacks, migraines and other breathing issues.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,924 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

One of my friends smokes them. They aren't offensive to me at all.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Eternal Member

The question is "is vaping an e-cigarette the same as smoking".

Yes, it is.

Marriot hotels include e-cigs in their no smoking policy as does Celebrity cruise line. If the hotel has proof you vaped in a room, it is a $250 cleaning fee same as if you smoked a tobacco product.

They do emit the vapors that are noticible to the nose.

True, the vapor is not smoke but I certainly would complain in any establishment that has a no smoking policy if a patron was vaping while I was in the establishment.

If one of my friends was at my house and asked if he or she could vape, I would kindly say no.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:17 PM

One website ( a manufacturer's) says e-cig vapors consist of a variety of harmless chemicals. Another medical website says they contain 19 harmful chemicals. I guess its up to the individual as to how much potential risk to take to inhale nicotine.
I've been several places near people inhaling the vapors. Not a pleasant odor IMO. I think the ban from certain places is a good thing.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:20 PM
Platinum member

I was in Publix about a year ago. A young 20something yr old boy was with his mother and smoking an E cigarette. I was taken aback......didn't know if allowed, and just ignored. It looked like a real cigarette. Person I was with told me it was E cigarette.

I would also NOT allow anyone to smoke one in my house.

I also would NOT want to be near anyone smoking one at restaurant.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Sage
Smile

The way I look at it is that good for them, they were able to stop smoking cigarettes. I don't agree with smoking them inside restaurants or public buildings although I cannot smell my husband's at all I can smell some of them. They have a sweet smell. I am a former smoker and know just how hard it can be to quit and am thrilled that my husband hasn't had a regular cigarette in over a year.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

I use electronic cigarettes and NO it is not smoking. It's the moisture in the mouth combined with propylene glycol that emits what appears to be smoke. PG is in many house hold products like soap, skin products, makeup, toothpaste and some food products.

Many restaurants do not allow vaping as certain flavors do smell and can be offensive to others. I have no problem with that and go outside and vape. Even when I was smoking I tried to be considerate of others and do the same now.

Electronic cigarettes are not allowed at the squares either. I did not know it wasn't allowed as there were no signs stating such. Someone reported me to security and I was told to stop or leave. I stopped but it was rather embarrassing.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,032 Times in 2,521 Posts

still inhaling the vapor of something into your lungs. Look how long it took to figure out smoking cig's was bad. it may take years to figure out if you'll die from it. Why take the chance, as Yuill Bruner once said; JUST DON'T SMOKE!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We just recently have been flying and no airlines we have been on have allowed e-cigs. They only referenced FAA regulations. Are they in any way a flame or electronic danger. Never used them so I wouldn't know?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
We just recently have been flying and no airlines we have been on have allowed e-cigs. They only referenced FAA regulations. Are they in any way a flame or electronic danger. Never used them so I wouldn't know?
Yes, Don they can be dangerous. E-cigs have a lithium Ion battery which can explode and catch fire with improper use. Battery explosions can be attributed to user error by over charging them.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyclubb View Post
Yes, Don they can be dangerous. E-cigs have a lithium Ion battery which can explode and catch fire with improper use. Battery explosions can be attributed to user error by over charging them.
Oh yeah. That make sense. We sometimes travel with a mobility scooter that utilizes a lithium Ion battery that you have to hand carry as the airlines don't want it in cargo and it could easily get damaged also. Luckily the TSA folks are better trained to recognise them. On occasion one of them never sees one and the x ray determines it should be looked at. No never mind to me as I expect them to do their jobs. It's what we are paying for.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I was in two eating establishments this week that don't allow smoking and individuals came in with these devices. Discussions ensued between management and the individuals with the individuals finally stopping their sucking on them. They look as nasty as cigarettes.
I'm a reformed smoker the worst critic there is.
I find them far less intrusive than cell phones in restaurants
Old 07-15-2015, 03:41 PM

TSA doesn't want lithium-ion batteries in cargo because they may explode? So they are carried in the passenger compartment?
Old 07-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcxr750 View Post
TSA doesn't want lithium-ion batteries in cargo because they may explode? So they are carried in the passenger compartment?
Hubby carried his on Delta last month. Actually emptied his pockets into the tub and his E- cigarette was in there with his keys, etc..
Closed Thread

Tags
individuals, smoking, finally, management, ensued, stopping, sucking, nasty, cigarettes, discussions, eating, considered, establishments, vaping, week, devices

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.