Veteran's Day - Capt. Harry Ludwig

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2018, 05:12 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Veteran's Day - Capt. Harry Ludwig

CAPTAIN HARRY P. LUDWIG – VIETNAM

In honor of Veteran’s Day I want to talk about a friend from my Secret Service years.

When I was assigned to the Secret Service Washington Field Office in the 1980s, one of my subordinates was a Vietnam veteran in his late 30s named Harry Paul Ludwig. Harry was friendly enough and enjoyed coming by my office for conversation and a good laugh, but he never talked about his Vietnam experiences.

Then one day he came to my office and said that construction of the Vietnam Wall Memorial on the Mall had been completed and he would like for me to walk down to it with him. As we walked he told me that his brother had been killed in Vietnam. He had never spoken of his brother before. At the Wall, Harry reviewed the register that identified the panel of the Wall where his brother’s name appeared and we located it.

Once we found the name, I stepped away to give Harry some time alone with his thoughts. On the walk back, Harry opened up a bit about the fact that he had received multiple wounds in Vietnam. In addition, while standing on a helicopter skid flying low above a rice paddy, he had fallen off, and only the muddy, soft ground saved him from serious injury.

The Washington Field Office had a gymnasium, which was primarily a weight lifting room. I had noticed that Harry wore long pants in the gym, unlike most others who used the room. He told me it was because he didn’t want people to see the many scars on both legs that he had as the result of a hand grenade exploding very near to him. I told him to ignore what others might think and to wear shorts if he preferred. A few weeks later he began wearing shorts.

Sometime after this a new agent reported to our office, and in conversation with me one day he mentioned that he had done the part of the background investigation on Harry prior to hiring him that related to his military service. He said Harry had received military awards and honors for his heroism, including the Silver Star. The Silver Star is generally considered the third highest award for gallantry that a soldier can receive. Of course, Harry had Purple Hearts as well.

According to the agent who did the background investigation, Harry was the most decorated Vietnam veteran from his home state of Ohio. Harry died from illnesses, which included heart trouble, in 1986. Senator John Glenn, of Ohio, sent a special message to be read at the funeral.

There was a time when Harry and I drove to work together. Our trip took us by the edge of Arlington National Cemetery. Harry told me that he was scheduled to be buried there. Knowing that there is prestige for being buried in certain locations, Harry used to laugh and point to the perimeter fence, saying that he would probably be buried just inside the fence.

Harry is buried at Arlington National Cemetery a few dozen yards away from the Tomb of the Unknowns. He is in area 7A, which includes the grave of USMC Private Lee Marvin. Harry’s wife is also buried in Harry’s plot.

This is the link to Harry's Silver Star citation. Ignore the other name that might appear. Private First Class Robert E. Stewart
Old 05-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,269 Posts

Great story. Thank you for sharing it.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
harry, vietnam, buried, office, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.