Veterans from Vietnam & earlier

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2020, 12:04 AM

Thank you for your list of virtues. Did I miss where "Killing others" was listed as a virtue?
Blessings of compassion.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

9ee8c5c6-7c9a-4f71-9634-e6946a193a0c-jpg

I’m holding the M14. That’s how old I am.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:49 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Benson View Post
There is no Virtue in killing other human beings.
Vietnam combat veteran.

. . . When Lowe's sales clerks, for example, say (because they are 'required to' and I am using a VA military discount) "Thank you for your service". I look them in the eyes and slowly say: "There is no Virtue in killing fellow Human beings".

. . . and I wait and watch for their conscious understanding . . . or lack of . . .
Their lack of understanding probably relates to their not thanking you for your virtues but rather your service.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I agree. I came home from Vietnam in 1975 and was yelled at, spat at (not hit at Chicago airport) and refused to be served in a restaurant. I was proud to have served and could not believe the country I returned to. I made a vow back then and I keep it to this day. That I would never accept anything from the taxpayers (government) of this country. It's a humiliation and very traumatic experience that I will never forget. And I hope Jane Fonda rots in hell. That time in my life made me very bitter. I was angry at our leaders for not letting us win a war that we could have won.

Today I honor and support our vets every chance I get. I am so glad that the country has changed in that regard. So yes I am glad to hear "thank you for your service". But I am still very angry about the treatment that I and many of my fellow veterans received from fellow citizens when we returned from a war that none of us really wanted to be there and a leadership that did not allow us to do the job we were sent there to do. I will never forget it.
It was wrong of protestors to treat returning veterans the way they did. The veterans after all were just doing what they were sent to do, what was required by law. But the majority of Americans were not in favor of the war and they wanted us out of there. In retrospect, we never should have gone there in the first place, and thanks to the continued protests, politicians finally listened and saved how many more thousand of soldiers from both sides from being killed and maimed.

I found this article recently that is quite apt:

The United States lost the war, but won the peace. It is difficult to imagine how things could have turned out much better if we had won the war. The United States remains the dominant power in the Asia-Pacific region. U.S. alliances with such critical states as Japan, South Korea and Australia are robust; U.S. relations with China are extensive if not always warm. Even U.S. relations with Vietnam are now proper and improving. The region is mostly democratic, wealthy and at peace. And despite gloomy predictions to the contrary, “dominos” did not fall to Communism after we lost in Vietnam.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbear View Post
YES I LIKE TO HEAR IT
LOL

Nothing like a little simplicity and levity in conversation like this
Old 01-01-2020, 12:16 PM

Villagers mean it!!!!! We appreciate our veterans who live here in the villages. Join one of our veterans' organizations and see what they have to offer. You will be surprised...
Old 01-01-2020, 12:42 PM

My father was World War ll. During the last chapter of his life he would spend two afternoons a week in his favorite restaurant buying meals for any actives that came in. Restaurant was located within 6 miles from a base. He didn’t speak about his service - didn’t advertise it via clothing and didn’t trigger any available discounts. His take on the “thank you...” was it wasn’t needed.

My younger brother was Vietnam - enlisted then volunteered for a second tour - both were combat tours. Like my father he doesn’t speak about his service or advertises it - but he does go to the DC Vietnam vets memorial every Memorial Day. I don’t know what his take on the “thank you...” is.

This ping has generated some excellent insights - thank you to all who responded.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Vietnam combat veteran.

. . . When Lowe's sales clerks, for example, say (because they are 'required to' and I am using a VA military discount) "Thank you for your service". I look them in the eyes and slowly say: "There is no Virtue in killing fellow Human beings".

. . . and I wait and watch for their conscious understanding . . . or lack of . . .
What a sad way to respond to someone's gesture of gratitude.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graspher View Post
What goes through your mind when a stranger says to you - “thanks for your service” ?

No disrespect intended - just curious.
All the years of being away from my family and sacrificing the time I would normally have for personal activities are long forgotten. But when someone thanks me for that service I assume the thought comes from someone whi did not have the opportunity for military service and I appreciate it very much.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Vietnam combat veteran.

Wow, I am at a loss for words after reading this. Speaking as a Vietnam War Veteran, and as the son of a proud member of The Greatest Generation and WWII veteran, please don't ever make that comment to me.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Yes, we know there are cowards who will not fight to defend democracy or the inhumane treatment of human beings or holocausts. Thankfully, there are so many strong, brave men and women to defend and serve this country. Your drivel about anonymous murder really doesn’t belong in this thread.
My father would never talk about his service in WW2. and he died when I was just 12years old, so I never really had a chance in later life to discuss our times in the mlitary together.
I know from his service book, and from his service medals that I have still, his infantry regiment fought across N Africa, and then later, up through Italy.
The only thing he ever said to me, was about the two bravest men he ever knew.
Both I think he said were Quakers, (not absolutely sure, but pretty sure about that) but both had definitely refused to bear arms, or fight as such, but served as stretcher bearers, and medics.
I always remember him saying that when he and his mates had their heads down, they were out in the thick of it, picking up the wounded.
Not all who will not bear arms, or fight are cowards!
Old 01-02-2020, 08:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,796 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My father would never talk about his service in WW2. and he died when I was just 12years old, so I never really had a chance in later life to discuss our times in the mlitary together.
I know from his service book, and from his service medals that I have still, his infantry regiment fought across N Africa, and then later, up through Italy.
The only thing he ever said to me, was about the two bravest men he ever knew.
Both I think he said were Quakers, (not absolutely sure, but pretty sure about that) but both had definitely refused to bear arms, or fight as such, but served as stretcher bearers, and medics.
I always remember him saying that when he and his mates had their heads down, they were out in the thick of it, picking up the wounded.
Not all who will not bear arms, or fight are cowards!
They served didn’t they? In a different manner, they supported the war, Bill. Far better than standing in line at Lowe’s mocking those that have worked/fought for freedom.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The biggest regret of my life was not getting in the service. My parents and sister went on a vacation to Disney. They arrived home on a Friday and I was supposed to go to the recruiter in Morristown N.J. on the following Monday. Dad died on Sunday and I was aimless and unapproachable for years. I was 17 or 18 I believe.

I envy all the people who got to serve our country and thank them every chance I get even the people in our family, why not. How could you not respect anyone who gave of themselves so selflessly? I'm not into the word game a few posts back. I respect his point of view but do not agree with him.

Thanks To All For Your Service. The services they have at The Memorial just over the Golf Cart Bridge are beautiful. If you have a shot at attending it is really something as are our Veterans.
Closed Thread

Tags
veterans, intended, disrespect, service”, “thanks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.