Walmart To Charge For Guaranteed Self-Checkout

Old 03-21-2024, 05:08 AM
Default False News

THE QUESTION

Are Walmart and Target charging customers to use self-checkout?
THE SOURCES

Walmart
Robert Arrieta, Walmart representative
A Target statement on self-checkout updates
Loni Monroe, Target representative
THE ANSWER

This is false.
No, Walmart and Target are not charging customers to use self-checkout.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Many stores in the UK invested heavily in self-checkout, but lack of use, has meant that many now are closing them.
We have always bagged our own purchases, so that is not a factor, majority just refuse to use them.
Some with one or two items use self check-out, but they are the exceptions.
The idea was to reduce costs by getting rid of staff. This is a direct result of minimum wage - computers are cheaper to employ per hour, don’t have sick leave, holidays etc. But its a false economy… the people on low wages can’t work so end up claiming more benefits & suffer worse health… end result… the money I may have saved at the till ends up going in increased taxes….ergo sum and taking to nth degree - does society actually benefit? I continue to use tills in UK & US for no other reason than to ensure the low paid keep their jobs….
Old 03-21-2024, 05:36 AM

I LOVE self check out and the big reason is I can memorize all the prices without trying so it's fun to check my memory. Plus I can load the bags the way I want. I never go to a cashier anymore. But then again I don't cheat. According to statistics too many do.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:40 AM
Default Self Checkout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
source

The self checkout at Colony is already insane as they don't have enough cashiers. This would be enough to make me not shop there anymore, not that I go often anyway.
The self check out cash registers should also be enabled that you can use cash and not a charge card maybe if enough of us complain, that will happen
Old 03-21-2024, 05:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
source

The self checkout at Colony is already insane as they don't have enough cashiers. This would be enough to make me not shop there anymore, not that I go often anyway.
Good joke! It’s true that a lot of people using these self-service checkouts everywhere seem to both think and move in slow motion. They remind me of sloths. The scary thing is that they also drive cars, and their reaction times are exceedingly slow.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington2 View Post
Walmart seems to have a very odd business plan trying their hardest to alienate customers. First self check out itself was an affront, then inadequate space for the merchanise at check out, then competing with the walmart staff with their large carts hogging the aisles fulfilling online orders and now extra charge for using the self checkout . I think they must be trying to push us out of the store and into online ordering.
FAKE NEWS. Read the article again
Old 03-21-2024, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutesaware View Post
That's fake news started on Tik Tok and other social media. Walmart has a $98 annual membership program (similar to Amazon) and corporate is allowing store managers to experiment with special lanes for annual membership holders, some are experimenting with fewer self-checkout lanes and more traditional checkouts and some are experimenting with self-checkout lanes designated as 10 items or fewer. I like to use the self-checkout lanes, even when there are no open stations, they quickly open up. One can count on Walmart to keep pace with what works, they aren't going to impliment changes that affect their customer traffic in the long run. What works in one market may not work in another; that seems like a smart strategy.
So, let me understand this "membership" thing. We already have a membership to Sam's Club, will we now need a membership to Walmart too to get to line up in the "membership" lane? When in the heck is Costco getting here?
Old 03-21-2024, 05:57 AM

TOTALLY BOGUS "quote" and report. Please send quote and statement author/date. Anyone that believes this needs to go pay the 30% more at Publix because they can surely afford it. Please stop going to Walmart so I can shop in peace!
Old 03-21-2024, 06:59 AM

Quote:
source

Probably the cost of theft at self-checkouts is becoming too costly.🤑
Old 03-21-2024, 07:01 AM

Too many self check customers are not scanning all their items. Theft has soared causing heavy shrink losses to retailers with self checkouts. Many retailers are now doing away with self check. We, the customers pay for this theft as retailers have to raise prices to cover their losses. I for one am happy to see self check out go away.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
source

Did OP verify before posting? A simple search seems to have debunked this claim.

Walmart, Target new policy not charging extra for self checkout | verifythis.com
Old 03-21-2024, 07:07 AM

That’s fine. I will stop going there.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:10 AM
Default Walmart Subscription

However, with the subscription you also get ten cents off a gallon of gas at the Walmart Station and free shipping on orders placed on-line.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:16 AM
Default Fake news

Quote:
source

People post stuff like this as click bate. It is not true. Google it. Not based on any facts.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:17 AM
Default Walmart Self Checkout

Quote:
source

I like self-checkout, quicker and easier for me. Didn't believe Walmart would make such a poor business decision and charge people to use self-checkout.

Tags
walmart, products, bag, checkout, pay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.