Walmart To Charge For Guaranteed Self-Checkout

Old 03-21-2024, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzel View Post
Did OP verify before posting? A simple search seems to have debunked this claim.

Walmart, Target new policy not charging extra for self checkout | verifythis.com
But only partly false. Not charging extra for self checkout unless....

If the stores have the option to close some or all self checkouts then it could happen that the only self checkouts left open are those for Walmart+ members. In that case, whether you want to phrase it this way or not, the customers would have had to pay extra to use the self checkouts. Even if other self checkouts were open, if I am in the self checkout line and head to those that are reserved I am going to be told that I am not allowed to use them because I have not paid extra.

So maybe a glass half-full/half-empty situation: not as bad as the headline made it sound but not entirely false either.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-21-2024, 07:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
No Walmart that I have been to has enough cashiers. I see plenty of walmart employees walking around or taking breaks out side. I’ve come to conclusion that is federal government job
Charging me to check myself out. What concept, I bet that’s going to go over real good
Walmart is one of the biggest differences between government and capitalism. Now since there is a big supply of their jobs they can not adapt at the demand side. Years ago hated going there. All other stores have/had a conveyor belt and Walmart had the small unloading area. Personally hate to using the self checkout of fear that I will not scan an item and some overzealous security guard will go out of his way to justify his job.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:25 AM

Let s look at Lowe's...what terrible incidents with only one or no cashier while we, the customers have to wait in line for self check out lanes...difficult to find a helper related to products that Lowe's or Walmart. Home Depot has self check out lanes with a plenty of helpers. Ace Hardware still uses check out cashiers with a plenty of helpers around. Chas
Old 03-21-2024, 07:32 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Who would believe for one second that Walmart is going to charge people to use self checkout? Oh the same person that would believe such a ridiculous story and not check to verify before posting..... Good grief.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Well I think they’ll lose some business but maybe not enough to hurt them but I bet the whole $99. won’t go to the Walton’s! Some of it will probably go to the supplier!
Old 03-21-2024, 07:57 AM
Default Walmart is extinct

Kroger delivery plus Amazon is all you need. Have not stepped foot in Walmart for years.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:59 AM

This is FALSE information!
See this article for details. What SOME stores are doing is limiting self checkout to drivers delivering to customers with Walmart plus which does cost $98 a year. Walmart is limiting access to self checkout at some times during the day at some stores (manager discretion) do to high theft and staffing issues. Target and other retailers are also implementing this policy due to theft.
Your browser is not supported | oklahoman.com
Or
Your browser is not supported | usatoday.com
Old 03-21-2024, 08:01 AM
Default I buy most of my groceries at ALDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
source

The self checkout at Colony is already insane as they don't have enough cashiers. This would be enough to make me not shop there anymore, not that I go often anyway.
I buy most of my groceries at ALDI, and occasionally Walmart. But, it looks like I'll stop shopping at Walmart. Since we've been ringing up our own purchases at Walmart, I've always believed that we should receive a small DISCOUNT since Walmart needs fewer cashiers.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remembergoldenrule View Post
This is FALSE information!
See this article for details. What SOME stores are doing is limiting self checkout to drivers delivering to customers with Walmart plus which does cost $98 a year. Walmart is limiting access to self checkout at some times during the day at some stores (manager discretion) do to high theft and staffing issues. Target and other retailers are also implementing this policy due to theft.
Your browser is not supported | oklahoman.com
Or
Your browser is not supported | usatoday.com
Then it is TRUE at times, at the discretion of the manager, and with explanation.

"We don't charge extra to use the self checkout but at the moment we have closed all the self checkouts except for those that are available only to members who have paid extra."

Important to note that no one has experienced this yet, just read about it in an article.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 03-21-2024 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=Pugchief;2313639]source

Folks, it pays to do a wee bit more fact-checking than just to believe one alarmist website. This story is not true.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:17 AM

Let me get this straight..I shop there, I pay money for the items, and now I have to pay more to bag my own groceries. And now, because they might not have enough cashiers, I’ll have to wait (long) to have my items bagged. Insane. Changes are a comin’.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:23 AM

I did a search and Walmart is not planning to charge for self-checkout.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...rt/ar-BB1jXTa6

Is Walmart charging for self-checkout?
No, Walmart is not charging a fee for self-checkout.

However, during times of limited self-checkout access, some Walmart locations are reserving self-checkout for their Spark delivery service drivers and for those with a Walmart+ subscription, Bohl said.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
They are apparently (in some stores) going to have a few self check out lanes for Walmart+ and delivery. Remainder will be free.
With all of the misinformation on the internet it’s wise to check.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:32 AM
Default Kroger!

Yet another reason to use Kroger delivery!!! We use Kroger at least once a week! No hassle, delivered on time every time. Wonderful service and good prices.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Why is it such a big deal to have items bagged?
Looking at some Villagers at the checkouts, bagging their own goods would probably double their daily exercise routine.
How lazy can you get?

Tags
walmart, products, bag, checkout, pay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.