Walmart To Charge For Guaranteed Self-Checkout

Old 03-21-2024, 08:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,214 Times in 766 Posts

Self checkouts should be a 5% discount, we're doing their job...
Old 03-21-2024, 09:27 AM
Default Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsil View Post
I LOVE self check out and the big reason is I can memorize all the prices without trying so it's fun to check my memory. Plus I can load the bags the way I want. I never go to a cashier anymore. But then again I don't cheat. According to statistics too many do.
Cool. Brings back another "childhood" memory. Part of my Winn Dixie job in high school was filling in as a "checker". It was amazing how quickly I got to where I rarely had to look at the price stamped (remember "jack stamps"?) on an item. Vintage Garvey Price Marker Model S185 5 Band Supreme w/Instructions (b16) | eBay

This subject also reminds me that one of my daughters was on the phone with me recently while the grocery person was loading her online order into the back "hatch". They apparently never even interacted. Mind boggling to me. Reminds me of my lack of understanding of how tipping has evolved in this country. I think I might have twice received a quarter after helping someone out with their groceries during those years. There's never been a faster bag boy than I in my prime. . . :-)
Old 03-21-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
source

The self checkout at Colony is already insane as they don't have enough cashiers. This would be enough to make me not shop there anymore, not that I go often anyway.
Do some legitimate fact checking. Walmart and /Target are not charging customers for self checkout!
Old 03-21-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
source

The self checkout at Colony is already insane as they don't have enough cashiers. This would be enough to make me not shop there anymore, not that I go often anyway.
NOT TRUE. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...rt/ar-BB1jXTa6
Old 03-21-2024, 10:28 AM

Stop using self-check out! They will get the idea very fast! Don't wimp out!
Old 03-21-2024, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,207 Times in 2,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRICHARD View Post
Stop using self-check out! They will get the idea very fast! Don't wimp out!
That’s easy to say unless there aren’t any registers open with a cashier. Or the one register that does have a cashier has a very long line. When that happens to me, I don’t return to that store. A particular CVS and Sprouts are both on that list.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,985 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabella View Post
The self check out cash registers should also be enabled that you can use cash and not a charge card maybe if enough of us complain, that will happen

All one’s I’ve used had that option.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington2 View Post
I think they must be trying to push us out of the store and into online ordering.
Bingo!
Old 03-21-2024, 12:57 PM

Let me know when you find a Walmart that charges for self-checkout......come on folks. Ask yourself why would Walmart charge for self-checkout when it benefits them. The line at Colony is long because people prefer self-checkout, but it still goes much quicker than a cashier.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:19 PM

Not true, they have a new program called e-meal that they are charging for not self checkout
Old 03-21-2024, 01:22 PM

I love self-checkout. Started using it at Kroger when we lived up north. It was supposed to be ten items or fewer. I don't cheat. I can bag the items the way I want. Walmart $98 membership does include Scan and Go like Sam's so you don't have to stand in a check out line. However, Sam's is at no cost; Walmart's requires a $98 annual membership.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Many stores in the UK invested heavily in self-checkout, but lack of use, has meant that many now are closing them.
We have always bagged our own purchases, so that is not a factor, majority just refuse to use them.
Some with one or two items use self check-out, but they are the exceptions.
I always enjoy hearing the sociological similarities and differences btw. our Countries!
I must admit, I miss those days!

This self-serve stuff began in an effort to "train us" to work for businesses, without pay, while paying them, full price.

From self-serve car washes to filling your own coffee/soda to uploading/downloading your own banking/investing options.

We handled the entire Closing on our home, including the wire transfer of big buck funds to our builder with no help from anyone. However, The Villages house, we used an agent.

It was ACTUALLY a lot easier to do EVERYTHING ourselves rather than sitting across the table from "slow" and inefficient real estate personnel. Ug.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,135 Posts

Quote:
source

Fake news, debunked. The only thing that comes -close- to this, is the scan-and-go feature in Walmart, which has always been a perk of the Walmart+ subscription service.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
I love self-checkout. Started using it at Kroger when we lived up north. It was supposed to be ten items or fewer. I don't cheat. I can bag the items the way I want. Walmart $98 membership does include Scan and Go like Sam's so you don't have to stand in a check out line. However, Sam's is at no cost; Walmart's requires a $98 annual membership.
Sam's isn't no-cost. It's a perk of being a paid member of Sam's. You have to pay for membership. You can also get a day-pass to shop there without being a member, but you pay 10% surcharge on your purchase. So even then - you pay.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,583 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabella View Post
The self check out cash registers should also be enabled that you can use cash and not a charge card maybe if enough of us complain, that will happen
There are self checkout that allows cash, you just have to read which allows cash

Tags
walmart, products, bag, checkout, pay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.