Wannabees Tales of Snow Woes

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Sage
Default Wannabees Tales of Snow Woes

I was wondering if anyone wanted to share their tales of the blizzard we have received in the northeast or any other part of the country.

The Governor of CT has advised everyone to stay off the roads.

I just cleaned off my car, (took about an hour). Barely could open the front door of my condo and found myself with snow almost up to my waist.
I was lucky to have a little room to rock my car in it's parking space and was able to get out and move it to a clean area that was plowed with little difficulty, (I guess those years driving in the snow when doing field service calls paid off).

Although I was concerned I would fall in the deep snow, (not getting any younger and my tolerance for this baloney is low), I started to think I would fall into a pillow). Actually, it was somewhat enjoyable and I didn't fall.

All things considered, I would rather have been in TV planning to go to a happy hour.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

2bntv - glad you still had the coping skills to deal with your snowfall! having coped with the blizzard of 2010, i know just what you faced!

this jersey shore property was really spared this round! we got the very low side of the 6"-9" predicted. just as i exited the house this morning to shovel a path for the mailman and to go in search of the daily newspaper, one of my husband's brother firemen backs up into my driveway with his little truck and snowplow! bless his heart! he had the driveway swiped in no time and would not come in for coffee and a pork roll, egg & cheese sandwich - he had more jobs to do! [and he took the sandwich to go ]

so that just left me to sweep off the cars and shovel some small areas around the cars. that means that the beach buggy will be ready to be packed fri nite for the sat take-off! hallelujah! any more snow in nj will be in my rear view mirror!

my sincere hopes that the remainder of your winter will be snow-free.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Veteran member

?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Veteran member

Well, we've "only" gotten about 12" so far, but it's been very wet, heavy snow, and it's still coming down hard. Went outside to snow blow the driveway (about 130') and shovel the deck(about 20' x 20'), and took me about 3 hours. Helped the woman across the road with her's because she's alone and doesn't have a snow blower, but fortunately, her driveway is a lot shorter than mine. While clearing her mailbox, the boulder holding it up jammed the snow blower and sheared the pin, rendering it useless, until I could find another pin to fix it. While fixing it, another neighbor down the road had a tree in front of his home split in two from the weight of the snow. Asked me if he could use my chainsaw to help get it out of the driveway, and, being a good neighbor, just couldn't leave him to struggle on his own, so I helped him move it. Came in about noon to relax and rest my back (have had 2 back surgeries, wife says I don't know when too quit, and she's right, I'll be laid up for days now, but none of the kids were around so I didn't have a choice) and checkout TOTV while looking out the living room window at the beautiful New England winter wonderland! : This house is going on the market in Feb, and the day it sells, we'll be leaving for our Buttonwood home immediately, if not sooner! I will drive down nonstop, and will not look back once. Do I sound a little over anxious?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:44 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
2bntv - glad you still had the coping skills to deal with your snowfall! having coped with the blizzard of 2010, i know just what you faced!

this jersey shore property was really spared this round! we got the very low side of the 6"-9" predicted. just as i exited the house this morning to shovel a path for the mailman and to go in search of the daily newspaper, one of my husband's brother firemen backs up into my driveway with his little truck and snowplow! bless his heart! he had the driveway swiped in no time and would not come in for coffee and a pork roll, egg & cheese sandwich - he had more jobs to do! [and he took the sandwich to go ]

so that just left me to sweep off the cars and shovel some small areas around the cars. that means that the beach buggy will be ready to be packed fri nite for the sat take-off! hallelujah! any more snow in nj will be in my rear view mirror!

Send the pork roll, egg & cheese sandwich to the villages.

I heard Brick got about 7 inches.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post

njbchbum:

Bless you. Have a safe trip.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Well, we've "only" gotten about 12" so far, but it's been very wet, heavy snow, and it's still coming down hard. Went outside to snow blow the driveway (about 130') and shovel the deck(about 20' x 20'), and took me about 3 hours. Helped the woman across the road with her's because she's alone and doesn't have a snow blower, but fortunately, her driveway is a lot shorter than mine. While clearing her mailbox, the boulder holding it up jammed the snow blower and sheared the pin, rendering it useless, until I could find another pin to fix it. While fixing it, another neighbor down the road had a tree in front of his home split in two from the weight of the snow. Asked me if he could use my chainsaw to help get it out of the driveway, and, being a good neighbor, just couldn't leave him to struggle on his own, so I helped him move it. Came in about noon to relax and rest my back (have had 2 back surgeries, wife says I don't know when too quit, and she's right, I'll be laid up for days now, but none of the kids were around so I didn't have a choice) and checkout TOTV while looking out the living room window at the beautiful New England winter wonderland! : This house is going on the market in Feb, and the day it sells, we'll be leaving for our Buttonwood home immediately, if not sooner! I will drive down nonstop, and will not look back once. Do I sound a little over anxious?
laryb:

Your a good man to help your neighbors. I'm in the same situation in being anxious to get to TV. If only my condo would sell.Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrifats View Post
Send the pork roll, egg & cheese sandwich to the villages.

I heard Brick got about 7 inches.
bringin' the pork roll with me ['tho i think publix sells it]!

you can enjoy all the day's snow tales from the jersey shore here:
web version here:
http://www.app.com/
electronic version of today's entire paper here:
http://www.app.com/article/20110112/...ress-e-edition

Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Sage

Just got an email from a high school buddy who lives near Hartford, Conn.

He said they got 22" - 24" of snow last night!

He just finished three hours of snow blowin his drive and his neighbor's drive.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Default Enough, already

We're in Bethlehem and the next town - Woodbury- received 28" so we are right in that range. Trying to figure out how to do attachments as we have lots of photos. I can't EVER remember getting this much snow in the 30 yrs+ that we have been here... Dying for end of Feb to come so we can leave for our month's rental in TV and perhaps find a lot we love! There's also the issue of selling the home!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Default SNOW what snow????

Loving to complain about the snow....shoveled 28" today just the most fun thing to do...miss you Villages! Here in CT till April
Old 01-12-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzjay View Post
We're in Bethlehem and the next town - Woodbury- received 28" so we are right in that range. Trying to figure out how to do attachments as we have lots of photos. I can't EVER remember getting this much snow in the 30 yrs+ that we have been here... Dying for end of Feb to come so we can leave for our month's rental in TV and perhaps find a lot we love! There's also the issue of selling the home!
Hi, we are in Clinton, just heard channel 3 weather guy,(Scott Haney ) say
this storm set a new 24hr snow fall record for CT... Snow stopped for a couple of hrs but is now snowing again here... We are going to TV in a few weeks for a visit.. Wish we were there now...

Lou
Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Veteran member

In Suffolk county, LI we have about 17 inches of snow as per the news. Looks like alot more. Every phone call we received today was "Don't you wish you were in The Villages!" Will be back in TV Monday and the snow will just be a memory.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Location: Winter - Village of Bonita; Summer - Marblehead, OH

We left Ohio at 5:30 on Sunday morning - and drove straight thru arriving at 11pm tired and sore from sitting. But we missed all the snow and ice that was coming in on Monday to the Carolina's and Georgia.
So since we're here and you're there, we'll have a couple of drinks in your honor at Happy Hour!

Today's new friend become tomorrow's family

Ohio - Cleveland, Lakewood, North Ridgeville, North Olmsted, Marblehead, Elyria; Florida - Village of Bonita (2010)
Old 01-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Gold member
Default Snow!

Record setting 22++ inches of snow here in Hartford,CT.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.