Washing Machine Odor

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2020, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts
Default Washing Machine Odor

I have a friend whose washing machine developed an odor that contaminated her clothes. So, she bought a new washing machine, but the new one has the same problem. The odor seems to occur even when she uses only hot water or only cold water when washing her clothes. There is no odor anywhere else in the house, or even in the laundry room. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
Old 09-20-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have a friend whose washing machine developed an odor that contaminated her clothes. So, she bought a new washing machine, but the new one has the same problem. The odor seems to occur even when she uses only hot water or only cold water when washing her clothes. There is no odor anywhere else in the house, or even in the laundry room. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
All I can comment is I am amazed at the number of people who have encountered this in the last few years ! Never heard of it in my life until a daughter in law bought one of the new "water saving" models. Now, they are ALL that type (would give anything to have my old agitator where I could control the water level, the cycle, etc. But, so be it. The first thing I was told by sales person was "make SURE you purchase and use AS DIRECTED, the washer "cleaner" recommended" ! WHAT ? Something more to buy ? "Yes, the new styles of washers MUST be cleaned on a regular basis to prevent a serious odor problem". REALLY ? I am thinking "why", washers never had such problems ? And, if it did happen, why wouldn't running a simple vinegar cycle work ? Don't know, but this whole thing seems to be a relatively new "problem". "Afresh" is what I was told to use, but I understand Clorox also now makes a cleaner. Too bad your friend bought a new washer before trying the new "cleaners" first ! BTW, according to the internet information, the number one cause of W.M. odor is OVER USE/OVER MEASURING of detergent. Also machines bought in the last few years must not use the "typical" kinds of detergents you might have around. I was also warned about that my DIL and the appliance sales person. So could be your friend has never changed to the new type of detergent made for the new type of water saving machine, or, may not be using the washer cleaner on a regular enough basis ? Maybe ? Worth a try. Might take awhile of using the proper detergent and cleaning the machine on a regular basis to see if it all clears up. Doubt if it would disappear immediately but maybe with strict use according to the recommendations. I confess, I do NOT like any of the new style washers !

Last edited by Ladygolfer93; 09-20-2020 at 07:20 PM. Reason: omission added
Old 09-20-2020, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

Thanks to the OP for posting the question and also to ladygolfer93 for a remedy. We just moved to another home and when running the washer there's an awful smell. We'll try the cleaner.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I use a tablet of Affresh now and then. You out it in the washer and run a clean cycle. I probably do that once a month. They make them specific for washing machines, dishwashers and garbage disposals. I bought them at Home Depot. Wal-Mart May now? Amazon for sure.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
If it's a front load machine, there should be a sanitize cycle; run that on hot with about a half a cup of Clorox every couple of months. There is also a filter on the front of the machine that has to be cleaned out of lard that is left over from liquid detergents ( and over measuring as other poster suggested.) This needs to be done every year or two depending on frequency of use. Look for the liquid detergents that have a little HE symbol on the front-stands for high efficiency. I always leave the door ajar and even pull out the little drawer for detergent so they can dry out a little between loads.

Now top load machines, I don't know so much.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:00 PM

I was told to leave the he door open and he he rubber gasket needs to be pulled open and make sure it is clean. But keep the door open.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Been here 7 years, top load washer, no odors ever, however, we have a water softener and whole house filter installed. We use Tide HE exclusively and carefully measure. Whites use Clorox, softener, smell good stuff, and the detergent. Also we have the washer open when not in use. These are Sears units.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Thanks we will keep our current washing machine as long as possible.

They get more expensive and more difficult to live with
Old 09-20-2020, 09:01 PM
Sage

Simple solution, just leave the door ajar.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

You couldn’t give me one of the water saver washers Evidently the stink or front loader. When I can’t fix mine and it goes I’ll be looking for commercial washer speed queen or roper, NO water saver, and simpler the better.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Thanks we will keep our current washing machine as long as possible.

They get more expensive and more difficult to live with
ABSOLUTELY, would give anything to get my OLD washer back !
Old 09-20-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
Thanks to the OP for posting the question and also to ladygolfer93 for a remedy. We just moved to another home and when running the washer there's an awful smell. We'll try the cleaner.
Neighbors came over to sit on lanai and chat on this NICE (fall coming ?) evening. Telling them about question on TOTV, they said go to Bob Vila's website, search wash machine odor, it sure has ALL about it, the problems, how this all started, how many people do NOT measure detergent carefully every time, how people ignore careful cleaning of the all the dispensers for softener, detergent, bleach, etc. Check it out. I did when the neighbors left tonight, sure enough, I think the info there will help anyone solve this very inexpensively. The commercial cleaners are another expensive accessory to buy.... but the Vila website explains how it can all be solved with a bleach only wash, followed by a vinegar only (must be both to get the proper chemical reaction) cycle... it's all there on the web site with much other good info. !
Old 09-20-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You couldn’t give me one of the water saver washers Evidently the stink or front loader. When I can’t fix mine and it goes I’ll be looking for commercial washer speed queen or roper, NO water saver, and simpler the better.
I hope you succeed, I truly do. I shopped till I dropped, I tried Roper, I searched the internet, I called a person I know "back home" who works in a distribution center for only commercial laundry places.... I gave up and bought this so-so Maytag, water "saver", and don't let them tell you this "new" kind of agitator is "soooo much better" than the old style ! NO WAY, this one is the one that really knots up clothing, and there is no FULL tub of water to keep it from beating and tying things in knots. Do anything to keep yours running. And, if you find out where a truly old fashioned one is actually sold to retail customers, help everyone by letting them know where and the price. My Maytag is a little less than one year old and yet I'd try to sell it if I could get an old style Whirlpool, one I could fill with water to the top and soak items all night if needed and the "old style" agitator ! Only one place could offer one very small Hotpoint that was pretty much "traditional", but it was too small to do something like bedding or throw rugs. Maybe some manufacturer will realize there is such a market for traditional ones ??
Old 09-20-2020, 11:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Is it a Top Loader or Front Loader? A front loader, a few models have a gasket around the door then hold the detergent in the folds of the gasket and there is that smell. Even with the monthly Affresh Pill run through the smell will still be there. Our 4 plus-year-old Samsung front loaders get the cleaning pill on the first of the month and we leave the door slightly cracked open after each wash which allows the washer to dry totally. There is also a small door on the front with a hose that drains something inside and that gets done every first of the month. I also run a dehumidifier in our Laundry Room as a matter of good practice and it helps because we choose to dry a lot of our clothes by just hanging them instead of running everything in the Dryer.

Look on YouTube at Washer smell if the things I wrote for you don't help. The answer is something simple for sure. Good Luck.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Is it a Top Loader or Front Loader? A front loader, a few models have a gasket around the door then hold the detergent in the folds of the gasket and there is that smell. Even with the monthly Affresh Pill run through the smell will still be there. Our 4 plus-year-old Samsung front loaders get the cleaning pill on the first of the month and we leave the door slightly cracked open after each wash which allows the washer to dry totally. There is also a small door on the front with a hose that drains something inside and that gets done every first of the month. I also run a dehumidifier in our Laundry Room as a matter of good practice and it helps because we choose to dry a lot of our clothes by just hanging them instead of running everything in the Dryer.

Look on YouTube at Washer smell if the things I wrote for you don't help. The answer is something simple for sure. Good Luck.
Funny that have to give 1000 plus bucks for washer and have to just through hoops just to keep it from stinking. If everybody would give bad reviews and refuse to buy the junk maybe someone would wake up and make washer that actually washes clothes?
Closed Thread

Tags
washing, odor, machine, clothes, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.