Are we all really just cannibals?

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2022, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I hope the carnitas in my lunch tacos did not come from long pig.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Old 10-24-2022, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon View Post
Read this interesting article questioning what would happen if the human race turned vegetarian / vegan. This is not to say I am one, though I try to eat less meat, but it would have both positive and negative consequences. At present it is simply unrealistic but it seems to me that eventually, perhaps some centuries into the future, we will be viewed in the same way we view cannibals today.

What Would Happen If the World Suddenly Went Vegetarian?
Humans are designed to be omnivores. An animal that is purely a meat eater has short intestines. A cow that lives on grass has three stomachs-you have one. A cow since it eats a low energy diet, eats all day long. Humans are designed to eat a diet of both meat and plants, (vegetables). All meat and you will likely have vitamin deficiencies and trouble going to the bathroom. All vegetables, no eggs, no fish, a true vegetarian has trouble getting complete proteins-that are needed for good health.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Seems like most who replied didn't read the entire article. Yes, animal husbandry is one of the greatest sources of methane which is much more harmful to air quality than CO2. As well as depletion of forests that absorb excess CO2.

But no one picked up on the idea of animal cruelty that is involved in meat eating. To me that would be the biggest reason to become a vegetarian. And most of us, however, know the issues involved for nutritional deficiencies that vegans (no dairy) face, requiring some supplemental vitamins -- I think it's Vitamin K-2.

In any case, I thought it was an interesting article if provocative that made a lot of sense.
Most recent episode of Jay Leno's Garage, someone is producing a tractor that runs on the methane from livestock. It is IN PRODUCTION.

Margret Meed the celebrity anthropologist wrote about hunter gathering cultures as in many Indian Tribes. Unlike us, what we think is normal they would work ONE DAY A WEEK. Rabbits-they are all around here as are squirrels. Flour? You can make flour from acorns. Water chestnuts are the roots of the cattails that grow around here.

We seem to live in a puritanical society. If, you enjoy it, it is evil.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
You might not have done well travelling with the Donner party. Instead of having carnitas, you might have been the carnitas.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Seems like most who replied didn't read the entire article. Yes, animal husbandry is one of the greatest sources of methane which is much more harmful to air quality than CO2. As well as depletion of forests that absorb excess CO2.

But no one picked up on the idea of animal cruelty that is involved in meat eating. To me that would be the biggest reason to become a vegetarian. And most of us, however, know the issues involved for nutritional deficiencies that vegans (no dairy) face, requiring some supplemental vitamins -- I think it's Vitamin K-2.

In any case, I thought it was an interesting article if provocative that made a lot of sense.
"Animal cruelty?"
Forget the human diet for a moment. Think about your loving and wonderful pets. They are mostly carnivorous. They are meat eaters. They are hunter killers. They kill to feed themselves and their young. Now, they get their meat from you. If you don't want meat, fine. But they naturally need and crave it. Cows, pigs, horses, fish or fowl, will die to feed your pets. Animals eating other animals may sound cruel, but it is natures way.
Some animals eat plants and animals. We are some of those animals. They, we, are omnivores.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:27 PM
Gold member

Homo Sapiens are carnivores...not herbivores or omnivores.
Meat is highly nutrient dense and saturated fat is vital for reasoning brain function.
If we all went vegan, we would all become irrational sickly children and go extinct like A. Robustus, most likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIRurLnQ8oo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY2v6AnEyuU

We evolved into consciousness because of meat diet.

Last edited by MorTech; 10-25-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
"Animal cruelty?"
Forget the human diet for a moment. Think about your loving and wonderful pets. They are mostly carnivorous. They are meat eaters. They are hunter killers. They kill to feed themselves and their young. Now, they get their meat from you. If you don't want meat, fine. But they naturally need and crave it. Cows, pigs, horses, fish or fowl, will die to feed your pets. Animals eating other animals may sound cruel, but it is natures way.
Some animals eat plants and animals. We are some of those animals. They, we, are omnivores.
It most certainly is natures way but the industrial meat industry is anything but. Surely you understand this when you see pictures of farrowing crates, chicken cages, and feed lots. I'll be happy to post some graphic pictures if you aren't sure if the way we raise these animals is natural or not.

Joe
Old 10-25-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Homo Sapiens are carnivores...not herbivores or omnivores.
Meat is highly nutrient dense and saturated fat is vital for reasoning brain function.
If we all went vegan, we would all become irrational sickly children and go extinct like A. Robustus, most likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIRurLnQ8oo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY2v6AnEyuU

We evolved into consciousness because of meat diet.
I think the definition of carnivore is different than what you think it is. Omnivore is what you're looking for here.

Joe
Old 10-25-2022, 09:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
It most certainly is natures way but the industrial meat industry is anything but. Surely you understand this when you see pictures of farrowing crates, chicken cages, and feed lots. I'll be happy to post some graphic pictures if you aren't sure if the way we raise these animals is natural or not.

Joe
I am aware of the huge meat and fish industrial operations. They are interested in larger yields, lower effort and expense to maximise profit and meeting the protein needs of some 8 BILLION human beings and their pets. I don't like what seems inhumane to me, but I do understand it. Humans, for example, think shooting fish in a barrel is inhumane. But cats want to eat the fish. They couldn't care less about the lives of the fish or their sustainability. They would happily and greedily eat the last fish, then have no clue why there are no more. Only humans have this sense of empathy toward other species. It would make me happy to think that had peaceful and pleasant lives. But that isn't always going to be the case in to days world.
If it would make you happy, I recently heard that some scientists are trying to develop a way to have meat producing animals not develop into a full blown cow or pig, but just grow the "meat". No awareness, no pain or pleasure. Just meat. Sounds weird, but?
Old 10-25-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
I am aware of the huge meat and fish industrial operations. They are interested in larger yields, lower effort and expense to maximise profit and meeting the protein needs of some 8 BILLION human beings and their pets. I don't like what seems inhumane to me, but I do understand it. Humans, for example, think shooting fish in a barrel is inhumane. But cats want to eat the fish. They couldn't care less about the lives of the fish or their sustainability. They would happily and greedily eat the last fish, then have no clue why there are no more. Only humans have this sense of empathy toward other species. It would make me happy to think that had peaceful and pleasant lives. But that isn't always going to be the case in to days world.
If it would make you happy, I recently heard that some scientists are trying to develop a way to have meat producing animals not develop into a full blown cow or pig, but just grow the "meat". No awareness, no pain or pleasure. Just meat. Sounds weird, but?
I totally agree with you about the cat…and nature in general. Far more brutal than it seems at first glance. Nearly every animal will have a very traumatic death in nature. We have the ability to provide a decent quality of life and an almost stress free death to the animals that provide us meat. I hope it happens that way most of the time but there is no easy way to be sure given the current lack of transparency in the industry.

As for the lab grown meat or whatever it is called….I’m kinda all for it as long as it’s as healthy as “normal meat” (if that makes any sense lol) I would really love some totally guilt free bacon someday!

Joe
Old 10-26-2022, 08:30 AM
Gold member
Default Bugs?

In recent months I have come across many articles speaking of the benefits people get from eating bugs. A recent article touted the superiority of roach milk to cows milk. How does one milk a roach? do they even have nipples? How many roaches would one need to milk for a bowl of cereal?
Old 11-05-2022, 12:31 PM

Sounds delicious. Maybe we can raise roaches to become as big as cows. Now that would be something. Prime rib of roach, roachburgers, and roachloaf ... mmm, mmm, good.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:45 PM
Platinum member

100% carnivore - hate veggys, don't care if they are good for me. Never touch the stuff, especially green stuff. Green will kill you.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
100% carnivore - hate veggys, don't care if they are good for me. Never touch the stuff, especially green stuff. Green will kill you.
Bbq beef sandwich, side of collard greens or okra, man-n-cheese with a cold beer. Omnivore, for sure.😄
Closed Thread

Tags
cannibals, unrealistic, simply, present, consequences

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.