We have to buy a new washer. Advice welcomed.

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 PM

Buy a big, old, energy inefficient one that works! When you find it, please tell us the make and model. Our washer looks great but stinks.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandMary View Post
Buy a big, old, energy inefficient one that works! When you find it, please tell us the make and model. Our washer looks great but stinks.
Agree! They're finally making low-flush johns that actually flush. It only took 20+ years. Hope they come with low-water washers that actually wash before another twenty years.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Agree! They're finally making low-flush johns that actually flush. It only took 20+ years. Hope they come with low-water washers that actually wash before another twenty years.
CF - we've had a low water usage washer for 8 years and thru 2 moves. It's a front loading Samsung and it runs like a fine clock. I'd get another in a heartbeat.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
CF - we've had a low water usage washer for 8 years and thru 2 moves. It's a front loading Samsung and it runs like a fine clock. I'd get another in a heartbeat.
That sounds great, DB, but I wonder what the new ones are doing.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

Have you selected a washer yet? I'd be interested in your final decision. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:59 AM

Looks like it will be Speed Queen for us.

Thank you to all for your help. I think anecdotal advice often is the most helpful of all.

(Maybe it's just me, but I kind of like it when posters let us know what they decided to do after getting advice here on appliances, decorating, etc. -- I don't know if that makes me a tidier of loose ends......or.......just.......uh......curious. Yes! That's it. Curious.)

Or am I......

Nosy Rosie Laurie? (Blush)

So anyway, Speed Queen it will be.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Sage

Question : Where can we purchase " Speed Queen " products around here ?

Also any recommendations for brand / model of electric dryers ? Thanks !
Old 06-23-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post

We are buying our Speed Queen from a Mom & Pop store for our new northern house. We are downsizing on the northern end so we can spend more time in our house in TV. No more rushing back to maintain a big yard.

Our new dryer will be Speed Queen, too. The place where we will buy has really good things to say about Speed Queen, even though they sell several brands. They do their own repairs so they know what happens after-market to the machines and said they see fewer problems with Speed Queen. -- Speed Queen is located in Wisconsin, I think.

If you do not find your answer here to where Speed Queen is sold near TV, you might be able to find a "store locator" section on the Speed Queen website.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Looks like it will be Speed Queen for us.

Thank you to all for your help. I think anecdotal advice often is the most helpful of all.

(Maybe it's just me, but I kind of like it when posters let us know what they decided to do after getting advice here on appliances, decorating, etc. -- I don't know if that makes me a tidier of loose ends......or.......just.......uh......curious. Yes! That's it. Curious.)

Or am I......

Nosy Rosie Laurie? (Blush)

So anyway, Speed Queen it will be.
I think you will like Speed Queen. We've had our Speed Queen washer and dryer for several years without any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post

The Speed Queen web site shows several places near TV, with the closest one being on 441/27 in Fruitland Park. Look under "Where to buy" on their web site for others.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Sage

We just had an appliance repairman here and asked him which washer he thought was best. He said, in all regards, the current top of the line Whirlpool top loader. We're not in the market, but I asked him knowing this thread was still alive.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
I think you will like Speed Queen. We've had our Speed Queen washer and dryer for several years without any problems.

The Speed Queen web site shows several places near TV, with the closest one being on 441/27 in Fruitland Park. Look under "Where to buy" on their web site for others.
Thank you.

I just now looked at speedqueen.com and saw that both TV and our northern location list only Mom & Pop appliance stores. I really like our northern Mom & Pop. I wish I had checked for a small local store when we bought new appliances for our TV house, but we were strangers in a strange land so we automatically went to 27 to the big box stores. Ended up defaulting to HD just because Lowe's was so understaffed that day.

Last edited by Laurie2; 06-27-2015 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Autocorrect is out to get me.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Thank you.

I just now looked at speedqueen.com and saw that both TV and our northern location list only Mom & Pop appliance stores.
I'm pretty sure that Speed Queen only sells through independent appliance stores. When we bought ours in MA, I could not find that brand anywhere but a few local appliance stores. I did check a few stores, and the prices were pretty much the same at all of them.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 PM

My new Speed Queen washer and dryer arrived today. They come with a choice of a mechanical or an electronic dial. I got the electronic version. Speed Queen tested their electronics for a while in laundromats before bringing them to the residential market.

The manual says to use HE detergent which I already had planned to do. I think maybe suds in detergent are just for their psychological effect, anyway. -- But I could be making that up.

I think I am going to really like these simple, sturdy machines.

I just wanted to follow up to tell you how it all turned out. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:58 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

GE top loader is what I purchased.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:00 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Also look at adding a Purewash system. This is great around $200. NO hot water or detergent. Everything smells great!
Closed Thread

Tags
washer, buying, good, agitator, head, gentle, reach, bottom, fall, gentler, kinder, clothes, make, bought, recently, laurie, woman, recommendation, possibility, reviews, run, things, review, terrible, reading

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.