We have to buy a new washer. Advice welcomed.

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Default We have to buy a new washer. Advice welcomed.

Good morning,

We will be buying a new washer soon. The laundry room space does not allow a good fit for a front-loader so a top-loader it will be.

I would like the washer to have the following:

Stainless tub.

Capacity to handle bedspreads and such.

Quiet. And stays balanced.

A reasonable choice of cycles, especially to include a very short cycle when doing just a few things.

Gentle on clothes. (I think not having an agitator might make for a kinder, gentler washer. -- But I do not want to fall in on my head when trying to reach the bottom. I am 5' 4".)

I have been reading reviews, but just when I think something looks like a possibility, I run across a terrible review.

If anyone out there has a recommendation for a new washer, please let me know. Or if there is one you have bought recently that you do not like, I would like to know that, too.

Thank you.

Washer Woman Laurie
Old 06-09-2015, 08:12 AM

I know this sounds like a joke, but it isn't. We have an LG. It is not on a pedestal. I cannot reach the clothes on the bottom of the washer. I need to use a grabber. I'm 5'2.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We are awfully satisfied with the Maytags we brought with us. One is older than the other. I think the oldest is 12

Where is some wood to knock on?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:31 AM

As a 10 year appliance salesperson, I would stay away from Maytag. It is owned by Whirlpool which also owns Roper, Kitchenaid, Admiral and Amana. LG and Samsung are not perfect but usually well constructed. S. Korean workers live at their factories and if they get fired they not only lose their job, but homes, insurance etc. I think the only appliance that's American made is Viking and they are super expensive. I own an LG model WM1101 top load.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:35 AM

When shopping for your washer try reaching onto the bottom to see if it is comfortable for you. Investigate front loaders. They used to have a terrible odor from the water that remains in the hoses ,rim gasket ( I would wipe mine out after each use) and any internal reservoir . Go on YouTube and type in "front loading washer " to see some problems owners had.
Take the time to research , go to several big box stores ( Lowes, HG Gregg , Sears , Best Buy And Home Depot have there people explain the qualities ,differences and their most sold washers. Each may have a sale, 1 yr. same as cash, interest free etc, promotion now or soon. Good luck on your quest!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I really dislike my top-load Sears water-saver. It is like the Cabriole (sp), top of the line Sears (whoever that is; Sears doesn't make appliances). It does all the things you asked for. Except get the clothes clean.

However, I have made peace with it by using Tide liquid (not the tabs--not enough detergent), a Tide whatchacallit stain remover tab, setting the machine to heavy wash rather than normal, and always using a second rinse. These machines just don't use enough water to get the clothes clean otherwise--at least not our clothes.

Having said that, there are several selections, including rinse/spin, delicates, spin/drain, and enough room to wash a set of king size sheets. I will say, however, that no washer is going to stay balanced if you don't load it correctly, unless it's a front loader.

We had a front loader for 16 years. It was still going strong when we sold it with the condo in MI, and boy do I miss it. I wish I hadn't listened to all the hype about water savers. But maybe today's front loaders don't use enough water either.

I have heard good things about LG washers. I've had experience with LG French door refrigerators and dishwashers, and I guess the Koreans were all sick that day.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Gold member

Fisher Paykel, sold at Lowes in Lady Lake and in Leesburg.

Their machines are total workhorses. From New Zealand, they've been in the U.S. market for about 12 years. They also make top-load dryers so people of average height or taller don't have to stand on their head to see into the back of a front-load dryer.

https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/laun...shing-machine/

https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/company/
Old 06-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We have Kenmore front loader washer and dryer on pedestals. They fit fine in the laundry room. 11 years old and not a single issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Good morning,

We will be buying a new washer soon. The laundry room space does not allow a good fit for a front-loader so a top-loader it will be.

I would like the washer to have the following:

Stainless tub.

Capacity to handle bedspreads and such.

Quiet. And stays balanced.

A reasonable choice of cycles, especially to include a very short cycle when doing just a few things.

Gentle on clothes. (I think not having an agitator might make for a kinder, gentler washer. -- But I do not want to fall in on my head when trying to reach the bottom. I am 5' 4".)

I have been reading reviews, but just when I think something looks like a possibility, I run across a terrible review.

If anyone out there has a recommendation for a new washer, please let me know. Or if there is one you have bought recently that you do not like, I would like to know that, too.

Thank you.

Washer Woman Laurie
Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 AM

I purchased a Sears top loader, it lasted two years, first the bearings in the tub then the locking lid control broke. Both repairs were more than a new washer. My next purchased was
a Samsung, because it had a low noise rating, which it does run smoothly and quiet. It was installed in November and satisfied.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Sage

Kenmore is made by Maytag...or used to be, just as an FYI. We watched the commentary on the recent news (WKMG) that spoke of the life-spans of appliances. They recommended not getting top of the line, latest models as the life-spans now are approx 5 to 6 yrs. Definately NOT made the way they used to be. Our throw-away society probably is always looking to the "newest best" thing so that's the mind-set. I'd go with the posters who recommended the 2 or 3 others, that have a better track-record then all the rest.

Don't we ALL remember purchasing that appliance that lasted nearly "our" life-time because it was considered a major purchase??
Old 06-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Platinum member

We are happy with our Samsung HE (no agitator) top load washer and dryer.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Sage

Many of the newer washers are low water machines. Some of the settings on ours put so little water in the tub that it hardly gets the clothes wet and you cannot change the amount of water yourself. We have just two cycles, bulky and hand wash on our Maytag Bravo that will put in enough water.
The normal cycle just puts in about 5 inches of water for a whole load. I just cannot get used to it so I use the handwash cycle for everything except bulky things.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Kenmore is made by Maytag...or used to be, just as an FYI.
From Wikipedia:

"Kenmore Appliances is a brand of household appliances sold by Sears since 1927. The products are currently[when?] produced by manufacturers such as Whirlpool, GE, Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Bosch, Electrolux, and Mabe Mexico."

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-09-2015, 11:36 AM

Look at Speed Queen--can be found at Setzer's in Ocala. Ratings by users have been excellent. Made in Wisconsin.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:41 AM

I haven't looked to see if any appliance stores carry them around here, but we brought a Speed Queen washer and dryer with us from MA. They are commercial grade (the same brand you see at a lot of laundromats) and we have not had any problems. The washer has several different cycles, and even the longest one is not very long - maybe 15 - 20 minutes, and it cleans well on all the cycles.
Closed Thread

Tags
washer, buying, good, agitator, head, gentle, reach, bottom, fall, gentler, kinder, clothes, make, bought, recently, laurie, woman, recommendation, possibility, reviews, run, things, review, terrible, reading

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.