Were YOU a paper boy? Did YOU have to help scrub floors and clean the toilet?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
Got up at 4 am delivered papers, cleaned the house and also did the cooking. There wasn't no father, my mother was bed ridden with MS and my brother was two years younger. There were also some bed pans or other nursing issues. I also helped negotiate the $135 a month welfare payment with the social worker. Unfortunately, there were not as many social safety nets back then. I was 8 years old.
I always look forward to hearing your opinion. I could see you negotiating at 8, looking at all sides of the situation.

I think we are who we are from genes, environment and upbringing. I never met anyone that had so much adversity to overcome at such a young age. It sounds like a Dicken's story. I suspect a background like that could make you bitter and hateful or just the opposite too. You must have had a good mom and other loved ones around.

When I was 8 I did homework, went bowling on saturdays, played with my friends and swam in a little pool in the summers that my dad kept clean. It was 4 years before I had a route and I could keep all the money. My dad bought me a Schwinn Sting Ray so I could hang the canvas sack on the handlebars.

I never had to clean toilets or do the dishes. I do remember one time cleaning all the pots and pans with SOS when my parents went out when I was older. I wanted to surprise them. I didn't know what teflon was and that I ruined them. I found out years later.

I had it pretty good.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Things when we were younger were sometimes not easy..I sometimes wonder how we made it through.
I often hear from people "over 55" about the good old days; I remember days from back then and I like things (well, most things - POTUS is less than desirable) the way they are - more disposable income, more things to do, the technology is incredible and most important, The Villages wasn't here during the good old days.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinricci View Post
Delivered the Long Island Press when I was 12, seven days a week for 4 years. Great learning experience about life and human nature.
My husband delivered the Long Island Press, also, and remembers going on some great trips because of his sales. Said it was a great experience, and allowed him to buy himself comic books, much to his mother's dismay!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:29 PM
Platinum member

Gracie,

Wow, does this bring back memories. Did all of them
Old 02-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Sage

I managed to escape.

But then GOD must have considered me a long range project as he stuck me with a best friend, (aka - Felix Unger).

I use to be Oscar Madison and it took my best friend 35 years, to finally wear me down, to become, a desciple, of Felix Ungar.

My best friend's house is one where one can eat off the floor, and not get sick.

I am still under the 20 second rule.

A big thank you to "Bobby", for converting me, to his cleaning habits, (Saturday is cleaning day, whether it needs it or not).

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-24-2015, 02:43 PM

We lived on Cherry Point MCAS (North Carolina), and I delivered the "Navy Times" when it would come out once a week. Making the deliveries wasn't bad but I hated having to go out once each month to "collect." Most customer's were very good, and some would even pay 'ahead. Others...would try to stiff me for the $1.25/month cost and I really disliked having to confront them.

In 1957 my family was transferred to MCAAS Yuma (AZ). I was very active in Scouting, and got a job "bucking bales" of alfalfa for my scoutmaster at the princely hourly wage of $0.75/hour. The bales weighed more than I did!

Thinking back on it I think my Dad (Sergeant Major Casebeer...) actually got me the job with George Ogram (my scoutmaster). I'm sure Dad's rational was to "motivate" me to finish school and go to college. Smart Man; it worked.

After bucking bales in the Yuma sun, I learned that I would earn $1.25/hour if I got a lifeguard certificate from the Red Cross. Yahoo! Sitting by the pool, and making that much money ... and there were Girls! ...life was Good!

Fond memories.

Best,
Casey

Last edited by caseycasebeer; 02-24-2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: correct typos
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.