Westboro Baptist to Protest Liz Taylor's Funeral

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Sage

I feel I must add my two cents worth.

My understanding is the two greatest commandments are to love your GOD with all your heart and to love one another as I have loved you.

I don't understand any religion that think it is right to hate anyone or kill someone in the name of GOD. I think hate is the worst four letter word in the english language. What about compassion and forgiveness.

Could it be that someone is taking an obsure part of the good book and misintepreting incorrectly or to their benefit?

Off Soapbox.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:14 AM

I am always impressed with your messages, but none than with now. Thank You!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda M. Sorgi View Post
Linda!

Take my hand and step in here and sit down. I just read all of your posts, there are only four, but it shows that you have been watching and reading for a couple of years.

You have only posted to say that you agree, or to affirm someones good post.

I hope you will post more often and let us get to know you.

Welcome and hugs.

Gracie. (an old-er person)
Old 03-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Default Kudos Kudos Kudos

... and many more kudos to the veteran bikers for what they did to counter this group of Westboro Bozos! Just view the video; it speaks for itself:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXTOlqb0f9o[/ame]
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Linda! Take my hand and step in here and sit down. I just read all of your posts, there are only four, but it shows that you have been watching and reading for a couple of years. You have only posted to say that you agree, or to affirm someones good post. I hope you will post more often and let us get to know you. Welcome and hugs.

Gracie. (an old-er person)
Gracie, having met you and reading many of your posts, I can say that you may be "an old-er person," but you heart is younger than spring-time!
The Villages Florida
Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda M. Sorgi View Post
Thanks Linda. I hope you meant me and not Gracie.

Gracie's post are always informative and entertaining. If it's not me, sorry Gracie for stepping on your toes , errrrrr post.

to TOTV.

I aslo look forward to new members posting. I hope you will join in more often.

There is so much information to share by people who have a wealth of knowledge.

Best Wishes.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Platinum member
Default Where is the outrage?

What the Westboro Baptist Church is doing is within the law. I think it is despicable, outrageous, unchristian hate mongering but, it is within the law. However, I have to ask where is the outrage over a news item in the Sun relative to a settlement the Roman Catholic Church agreed to relative to their priests abusing Native American children in their care. These priests broke the law and their crimes were covered up by the church. The church then transferred them to children's schools where they could abuse more children. Hundreds of lives ruined by the actions of this one group.
On one hand we have a handful of publicity seeking nut cases, claiming to be Christians, picketing funerals. On the other hand we have a worldwide multi million member, 2,000 year old religion whose priests have ruined an untold number of lives. The church's solution has been to transfer them and in some cases to places where they can do even more damage to young innocent lives.
TOTVers, again I ask, where is the outrage?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

Obviously, Downeaster is just trying to get people riled up with his post on another topic completely.

As far as I know from what I read in the newspaper, there was no protest of any kind at Liz Taylor's funeral.

Again, as far as I know, the protest from the Westboro church turned out to be a non-event.

In my viewpoint, the "clergy" of the Westboro church belong in the same category as the kook who murdered a doctor inside of his own church because the doctor performed abortions - and the kook thought he was doing a public service by killing the doctor so more lives would not be taken.
The jury did not go for that excuse and the kook is now in prison for 1st degree murder.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Obviously, Downeaster is just trying to get people riled up with his post on another topic completely.

As far as I know from what I read in the newspaper, there was no protest of any kind at Liz Taylor's funeral.

Again, as far as I know, the protest from the Westboro church turned out to be a non-event.

In my viewpoint, the "clergy" of the Westboro church belong in the same category as the kook who murdered a doctor inside of his own church because the doctor performed abortions - and the kook thought he was doing a public service by killing the doctor so more lives would not be taken.
The jury did not go for that excuse and the kook is now in prison for 1st degree murder.
I am not trying to get people riled up. Or, maybe I am.

The Westboro non event did get people riled up. The much more serious and ongoing problem of clergy abuse went unnoticed.

As to off topic, I was on topic but will admit to a bit of segueing. Same as you did above, Tbugs, when you segued to the doctor killed in his church by a "kook". I wouldn't think of admonishing you for that bit of segueing. That was a serious event and I am delighted the jury did not take his defense seriously. Oh dear, I am off topic again. Or am I segueing the segue? I love that word, haven't had an opportunity to use it for some time.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Eternal Member

The Villages Florida The Villages Florida
Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Sage
Default The comparison is valid

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
I am not trying to get people riled up. Or, maybe I am.

The Westboro non event did get people riled up. The much more serious and ongoing problem of clergy abuse went unnoticed.

As to off topic, I was on topic but will admit to a bit of segueing. Same as you did above, Tbugs, when you segued to the doctor killed in his church by a "kook". I wouldn't think of admonishing you for that bit of segueing. That was a serious event and I am delighted the jury did not take his defense seriously. Oh dear, I am off topic again. Or am I segueing the segue?....
I agree. The comparison is valid. Much to pause and think about, regarding the atrocities we look the other way on, and those about which we'll stand and speak out against loudly and publicly.

At least the Westboro kooks don't cover up their assault on wounded innocents. That's more than can be said for the brotherhood that piles lie upon lie upon more lies to cover up for the vile priests who prey on and rape innocents.

Jesus spoke clearly about the "father of lies":

44 You belong to your father the devil and you willingly carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks in character, because he is a liar and the father of lies. --John 8:44 New American Bible
Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
The Villages Florida The Villages Florida
Are these TOTV smilies?

If not, TONY, we need these smilies!

Sorry Topicop, I just hijacked.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Eternal Member
Default Valid or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I agree. The comparison is valid. Much to pause and think about, regarding the atrocities we look the other way on, and those about which we'll stand and speak out against loudly and publicly.

At least the Westboro kooks don't cover up their assault on wounded innocents. That's more than can be said for the brotherhood that piles lie upon lie upon more lies to cover up for the vile priests who prey on and rape innocents.

Jesus spoke clearly about the "father of lies":

44 You belong to your father the devil and you willingly carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks in character, because he is a liar and the father of lies. --John 8:44 New American Bible
MHO about this thread is that it doesn't matter if the comparison added here was valid or not. The OP started this thread to discuss the Westboro Church and their action... not an all together different controversial topic. If the OP of this topic wanted to later add the comparison, he could of and that would have been his right or perogitive as the OP to do so.

I wouldn't be saying all of this if a new thread had been started to open a new topic. The OP of that new topic could then have introduced their desired comparison if they wanted to. That, again IMHO, would have been the correct way of introducing the comparison, avoiding the hijacking and not mix the distinct and separate emotions of the two different topics in a single thread.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Are these TOTV smilies?

If not, TONY, we need these smilies!

Sorry Topicop, I just hijacked.
My apologies to the OP for following the off-topic question, but feel I need to answer this. These are not TOTV smiles, and if you noticed when someone else asked Tony to put one of the smiles I entered, that he responded by stating the he would need to get permission from the origional owner of the graphic before he could place it on this site. As a former website administor I can tell you that getting permission can be a bit of daunting process. With so many good smilies out there we could be asking an awful lot from Tony go through those processes on top of everything else he does to keep this site operating as efficiently he does! Kudos to you Tony... and now back on topic!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

I really don't think going off topic is too big a sin unless the purpose is to ridicule another person's view instead of adding to the discussion. Going off on a tangent, if not too drawn out, sometimes adds to a conversation and not always in a bad way.

I'm not sure that this tangent of clergy child abuse adds much insight into a conversation about this wicked church that hates homosexuals with such evil fervor, but at least it was polite.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.