What is the Best Way to Clean Tile Floors

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Good ideas Xavier...thank you
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

You can also tape the brush to a yard stick or broom handle so you don't have to get down on your knees. (I've never actually done it, but I always thought it would be a good idea.)
Old 05-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Joan NEM what company did your tile floors? Did you think they were expensive? My wife got an estimate to have our three carpets cleaned and tile floor in foyer, family room ,kitchen and laundry room cleaned .. They wanted $900????????????
Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Gold member
Default cleaning grout

I found out by accident that a good grout cleaner is the stuff they sell to clean showers with a long-handled brush and a scrubbie thing that sticks on the end. Maybe made by Mr. Clean? I think there is at least one other manufacturer as well.

Used to use that on a cultured marble tub surround and the bathtub now and then, and one time I noticed a particular area of dirty grout in the bathroom. Worked pretty good. Even better is to do it by hand but wear rubber gloves. Think it has bleach in it.

There is also a spray grout sealer available (go to a floor tile store) that you can spray along the grout lines. Supposed to last 15 years (hah)!

One reason I will likely never do all tile in the Florida home - tile cracks, is hard on your feet and back and the grout is a pain in the *** to clean. A neighbor recently had really nice looking laminate installed - looks like wood, much better looking than the laminates of just a few years ago. I might still do bathrooms because I like the look, but I think tile is a lot of work to keep looking nice.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

MagicEraser works pretty good on grout stains. If it is exceptionally dirty, get a grout cleaner, spray, wipe and then use the Magic Eraser. The grout will look like new.

And another vote for the Shark but I recommend a handwashing about every three months. I've found that the Shark does a good basic job but doesn't really deep clean.

BTW -- I tried a Bissell steam cleaner and the best I can about it is Fuhgeddaboutit.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

Last edited by redwitch; 05-18-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Bissell comment
Old 05-18-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Joan NEM what company did your tile floors? Did you think they were expensive? My wife got an estimate to have our three carpets cleaned and tile floor in foyer, family room ,kitchen and laundry room cleaned .. They wanted $900????????????
Service Master...They had a special going on 3 rooms of carpets cleaned for $100.00....He then charged us $$99.00 to do the kitchen floor....well worth it !!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Gold member

I have a question about tile floors. Are the floors and grout getting dirty from wearing shoes inside the home? I have tile in my home in Hawaii but have no problem keeping it clean. I do no know of anyone in Hawaii who wears shoes inside their home. Just wondering how the tile is getting soiled.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Usually from spills and pets. Shoes play a part as well; so do dark socks.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Email Reported As Spam

JoanNem thank you so much ..Service Master is big in fire, smoke and water restoration so makes sense they could tackle a tile floor and carpet. I recognize it was a special but their prices seem in line. Thanks again
Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
JoanNem thank you so much ..Service Master is big in fire, smoke and water restoration so makes sense they could tackle a tile floor and carpet. I recognize it was a special but their prices seem in line. Thanks again
No Problem...glad I could help.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.