Motor Homes

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2020, 10:37 AM
Default Motor Homes

Thinking of buying class c used motor home. Because of the virus, traveling would be much safer, especially traveling north. I’m a snow bird.
Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2020, 10:49 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

If you are just going to use it to drive down and back it's a waste of money and an older motorhome will have to be winterized if you go north for the holidays kind of defeating the purpose of having a self contained unit. Some newer models have heated tanks and used class C most likely will not.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:02 AM
Default Motor Home

Just drove north in my CRV. Love the adaptive cruise control. Stayed in a clean B & B. Distancing, masks, and we had the whole upstairs. No other guests. Also stayed at a Marriot. Masks & distancing, very few guests. IMO hotel stays were much safer than going in a store. Another added benefit is that the water tanks were full and we didn’t need to empty the sewer!

That being said, try renting a camper locally. There are plenty of short trips you can take from The Villages. This way you can find out if camping is for you before you commit $50,000.

We have owned several RV’s. Great memories, but lots of work.
Hope you are happy with your decision.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Had same exact thought 2 months ago
Now have 2016 class C . Took 2 area trips see what we needed or didn't need now were ready to roll
Old 06-18-2020, 12:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Had same exact thought 2 months ago
Now have 2016 class C . Took 2 area trips see what we needed or didn't need now were ready to roll
Need PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES....Thanks

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-18-2020, 02:10 PM

I will be using the motor home more than just going north. Exploring great places in Florida and getting together with neighbors who also have motor homes. Someone mentioned to me there’s a village motor home club. If true, that sounds like fun. Thanks for the reply’s.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:22 PM
John41

We had a Four Winds 22e class c for about 3 years taking short trips around Florida and Georgia. It was a lot of fun. Unfortunately the cap in the cab over eventually leaked and we got mold. Also the synthetic leather on the dinette started peeling. Another issue was the step in the middle of the floor that was easy to trip over. Sold it at a big loss and bought a vacation lake house which we enjoy more. I would go with Winnebago if we were in the market.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If you are just going to use it to drive down and back it's a waste of money and an older motorhome will have to be winterized if you go north for the holidays kind of defeating the purpose of having a self contained unit. Some newer models have heated tanks and used class C most likely will not.
My heart has wanted to own a motorhome for a long time, the freedom to travel and stop and sleep somewhat on demand without staying in a hotel seems very appealing. But every time my heart has a talk with my brain, the idea gets thrown out the window. The cost of the motor home, the maintenance, insurance, property taxes, storage, registration fees, winterization, fees to pump out grey and black water, etc...

Once my brain does the calculations, I figure we can stay in nice hotels on our trips for the rest of our lives, with no hassles of maintaining the motor home, and drive a nice car instead of a gas eating and poor handling home on wheels. And at the end of the day, we can stay in nice hotels until we are long since dead, and still safe lots of money.

My brain overrules my heart every time I consider the motor home.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachman46 View Post
I will be using the motor home more than just going north. Exploring great places in Florida and getting together with neighbors who also have motor homes. Someone mentioned to me there’s a village motor home club. If true, that sounds like fun. Thanks for the reply’s.
There are at least two:

The Villages RV Club

The Villages RoVers - Villages RoVers
Old 06-18-2020, 11:06 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I have owned three motorhomes, two Winnies and a GMC. While they were a lot of fun for family vacations, we drove into Canada and Mexico, visited national parks, lakes, the ocean, my rigs drank gasoline like crazy, 6.5 to 8 mpg. Then once they were set up to camp, all hooked up, leveled and so on, and we needed to go get more groceries or whatever it was a big production to decamp, drive there and back and set up again in camp. Also they need constant and sometimes expensive maintenance. Things get beat to death driving through vibration; connections break, and so on. Water tanks need to be filled and emptied.

At this point in my life I have been there, done that. I will drive my SUV and stay at hotels.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-18-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
My heart has wanted to own a motorhome for a long time, the freedom to travel and stop and sleep somewhat on demand without staying in a hotel seems very appealing. But every time my heart has a talk with my brain, the idea gets thrown out the window. The cost of the motor home, the maintenance, insurance, property taxes, storage, registration fees, winterization, fees to pump out grey and black water, etc...

Once my brain does the calculations, I figure we can stay in nice hotels on our trips for the rest of our lives, with no hassles of maintaining the motor home, and drive a nice car instead of a gas eating and poor handling home on wheels. And at the end of the day, we can stay in nice hotels until we are long since dead, and still safe lots of money.

My brain overrules my heart every time I consider the motor home.
You just made it clear to me why I have been avoiding the purchase of an RV.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:02 AM

If I were considering this I would research one way rental for trio North and drop off there, if any companies do that. Get the practical experience of using before you commit to purchase
Old 06-19-2020, 05:09 AM

We bought a New Class C Motorhome. Wish i had followed my own rule about always knowing the cargo and occupancy capacity. The salesman threw me off carrying on about the load capacity; i figured if one is good, so should the other. No. After spouse, I and animals are in the RV, we can only safely add another 150 pounds. And for anyone who wants to tell me i can go higher than that, the insurance will not pay for an accident if you are over that rated capacity. So, we treat it as a traveling home that allows pets. But only stock it with 2-3 days of food and not much extra.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:15 AM

I have a class A motorhome which we drive down and store at a self storage facility while down there. Traveling has never been better. Less stops, no need for a hotel and just much more comfortable.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

I received my 23’ 2021 class B Pleasure-WAY motorhome last week. Was ordered around 6 months ago. A Mercedes chassis with 3 solar panels. A diesel that gets around 15 miles per gallon. No crowds, hotel rooms, indoor restaurants for us during this epidemic for the next year or more.

Tags
motor, traveling, thinking, bird, snow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.