What Do You Know About Naples FL

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2017, 07:15 AM
Veteran member
Default What Do You Know About Naples FL

Does anyone have any experience living in the Naples Area, or an extended visit/rent checking it out for a potential home buy?

If so, what did you learn?
Old 06-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Too expensive!
Old 06-16-2017, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyOfLife View Post
Does anyone have any experience living in the Naples Area, or an extended visit/rent checking it out for a potential home buy?

If so, what did you learn?
Personally, we love anything on the water: Naples, Venice, Sarasota, St. Petes Beach, Clearwater .......... all beautiful areas, but anywhere within easy reach of the beach is very expensive, very busy year round and more expensive than here. We would have stayed on the beach, but I hated the transient way of living. We were in Reddington Shores, loved it, but hated the fact that the cost of wintering there is so expensive that people rent for just one week at a time, so people are coming and going constantly. Plus the dreaded Spring Break ................ ugh! Our friends rent in Naples, off the beach, on a golf course that is too expensive for them to play, for $5,000 a month!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Gold member

Beautiful beaches.....everything beautiful for the beautiful and wealthy. Anything west of 75 is very expensive, east of 75 still kind of a wasteland. A great place to visit if you have friends you can stay with!
Old 06-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Default Factor to onsider - Insurance

///

Last edited by Waverunner; 06-16-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:08 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Personally, we love anything on the water: Naples, Venice, Sarasota, St. Petes Beach, Clearwater .......... all beautiful areas, but anywhere within easy reach of the beach is very expensive, very busy year round and more expensive than here. We would have stayed on the beach, but I hated the transient way of living. We were in Reddington Shores, loved it, but hated the fact that the cost of wintering there is so expensive that people rent for just one week at a time, so people are coming and going constantly. Plus the dreaded Spring Break ................ ugh! Our friends rent in Naples, off the beach, on a golf course that is too expensive for them to play, for $5,000 a month!
I also felt the traffic was horrible. Traffic in TV is nothing compared to the areas you mentioned.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Default Factor to Consider - Insurance

My husband and I lived in Pinellas County (Clearwater, St. Petersburg area) for many years. After the 2004 and 2005 hurricanes, the homeowners insurance market changed drastically for all living in coastal counties. The building codes also changed after 2005.

Our home was built pre-2005. We lived five miles from the water. Our homeowners insurance was $14,000 a year in 2012-13, the year we left. Our homeowners insurance in The Villages, (similar value home but post-2005 built), is around $1,000.

If costs are a factor in your decision, look carefully at all the cost of living items.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:21 AM
Platinum member

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 10-12-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

We rented down there several times. It is beautiful however way to congested for me and the traffic is a nightmare. Can't get a parking spot near the beaches, long waits at restaurants, and as noted above very expensive, a lot of the retail stores have closed their doors for some reason also, not worth it at all. Go a little north to Bonita Springs, still crowded but less expensive and nearer to the Ft. Myers Airport .
Old 06-16-2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran member

We used to go there often but if you think the traffic here is bad...wow, it is way worse there. I love the beach but there was other beaches just as wonderful. We got so that we hated to travel to Naples because of the traffic.
On the good side, it is a beautiful place, landscapes resembling much of what you see in The Villages, nice shops on 3rd Avenue. As with Sarasota and other places anything east of trail (Tamiami Trail hwy 41) is very expensive even for the most rudimentary housing.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Naples is nice but congested and expensive. They do have an authorized Rolls Royce motor car dealer if that tells you anything as they of course locate where the big bucks are. If money is no or not much of an object you may enjoy its restaurants, boutiques and its lifestyle in general. A rather successful high school classmate of mine has lived there over 30 years; she fits right in and loves it. Last we spoke she told me her 2400 square foot Gulf of Mexico and Venetian Bay view condo in a high rise buildng was worth about $2M. She paid a little over $800K for it about twenty years ago. Different strokes for different folks.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-16-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:54 PM

Tried to make the move three years ago. Lot's of traffic and inflated home prices near the water. I tried, could not swing it. If I want to visit, the drive is not bad at all.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:28 PM
Sage

I always get it confused with Venice.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-17-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran member
Default Thanks for the comments

Housing is expensive nearer to the coast.

But like many areas in FL, the periphery of the Naples area seems to be growing. A few miles inland, home costs are quite a bit lower.

If you look at an aerial shot of the land from Bonita Springs down to Naples inland a few miles, it looks like the land has been laid out for a lot of homes to be built.

One other thing I noticed; while there are a number of 55+ communities in the area, there are also quite a number of the HOA communities with amenities that are Not Age Restricted.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Checked out Ave Maria early on in its development phase. Timed it to the nearest beach, as that was s big draw to me. Way too long of a drive and that was when it was open road travel.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
naples, checking, visit/rent, home, learn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.