What do you think happens when you die?

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2022, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,825 Times in 1,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
what does a soul look like? Asking for a friend.
Jellyfish.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
How about those 72 virgins?
With 72 headaches.!
Old 11-16-2022, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
How old is your friend, six, and unable to grasp your explanation of the soul which I’m sure you were provided since you were raised Catholic. I have to ask you, why all the perceived annoyance with the faithful? I accept you and your atheism but does atheism mean intolerant? Asking for a friend.
Don't feel bad. He doesn't like people from South of 44 either. And I think he was lying about the friend thing. I can't imagine that he actually has any.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 11-16-2022, 11:03 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Aces4;21 I have to ask you, why all the perceived annoyance with the faithful? I accept you and your atheism but does atheism mean intolerant? [/QUOTE]

Perception is one's interpretation of that was said or seen. It is not always correct. I am agnostic, leaning toward atheism. I can only speak for myself.
What I see is religious folks acting incredulous when they find out I don't believe in God. Specifically, their God. I get lectured and preached to about the evils of not believing. Heaven and Hell! Talked to like a foolish child. Sounds like intolerance and lack of respect, doesn't it?
My response is sometimes questioning things that don't line up or are contradictory. Some see losing belief in God(s) as putting away childish things, like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. But, putting away God is not so easy. Most people worldwide cannot do it. Giving up that last gigantic security blanket (my poor choice of words is not meant to be insulting, but will probably be taken that way) is tough to let go of. But many of us no longer need the threats of Daddy to be good citizens. We no longer rely on Daddy to bail us out when we are naughty. We are grown enough to See that getting along and being good, kind and caring to one another is in everyone's best interest. No reward if we are good. No punishment if we are bad.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,217 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
How old is your friend, six, and unable to grasp your explanation of the soul which I’m sure you were provided since you were raised Catholic. I have to ask you, why all the perceived annoyance with the faithful? I accept you and your atheism but does atheism mean intolerant? Asking for a friend.
I do not wear my atheism on my sleeve. I do not, under any circumstances, discuss religion with anyone in person with the exception of my husband and my close family. No one else is privey to my religious beliefs or lack there of. Not so with strangers I deal with in public. Is it so difficult to say to a stranger, "Have a nice day" or something that does not imply a religious salutation?

My perceived annoyance, as you say, is because these people wear their religion on their sleeve. No need for that, especially when dealing with strangers. Yes, I am intolerant. My bad.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,217 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Perception is one's interpretation of that was said or seen. It is not always correct. I am agnostic, leaning toward atheism. I can only speak for myself.
What I see is religious folks acting incredulous when they find out I don't believe in God. Specifically, their God. I get lectured and preached to about the evils of not believing. Heaven and Hell! Talked to like a foolish child. Sounds like intolerance and lack of respect, doesn't it?
My response is sometimes questioning things that don't line up or are contradictory. Some see losing belief in God(s) as putting away childish things, like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. But, putting away God is not so easy. Most people worldwide cannot do it. Giving up that last gigantic security blanket (my poor choice of words is not meant to be insulting, but will probably be taken that way) is tough to let go of. But many of us no longer need the threats of Daddy to be good citizens. We no longer rely on Daddy to bail us out when we are naughty. We are grown enough to See that getting along and being good, kind and caring to one another is in everyone's best interest. No reward if we are good. No punishment if we are bad.
Agree. I was taught right and wrong by my parents who were excellent role models to me. I did not need to be enticed to be good so I wouldn't go to hell and live it up with the devil.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,808 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
I do not wear my atheism on my sleeve. I do not, under any circumstances, discuss religion with anyone in person with the exception of my husband and my close family. No one else is privey to my religious beliefs or lack there of. Not so with strangers I deal with in public. Is it so difficult to say to a stranger, "Have a nice day" or something that does not imply a religious salutation?

My perceived annoyance, as you say, is because these people wear their religion on their sleeve. No need for that, especially when dealing with strangers. Yes, I am intolerant. My bad.

Maybe if you could open your heart and realize that is the very best wish a Christian can make for you, you wouldn’t be so insulted. The snide remarks people of faith receive from some atheists are far greater and nastier.

Two of our nicest and best friends are atheists, we all accept each other for our own convictions. Perhaps if one lives in the Bible Belt, people are more apt to be chastised for their atheism but I have never seen a situation like that in Florida, our home state or anywhere we’ve traveled. I must be mixing with the wrong crowd.

Last edited by Aces4; 11-16-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:49 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Agree. I was taught right and wrong by my parents who were excellent role models to me. I did not need to be enticed to be good so I wouldn't go to hell and live it up with the devil.
If you look beyond your own upbringing years ago, your parents had a faith based background which led to their tenents for raising you. There are many who walk a righteous path and are atheist. But this is a new age for atheism and anything goes, you can see it in the streets.

Last edited by Aces4; 11-16-2022 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
My post ended with a question mark. I was asking, not telling. The description given previously pretty well matched that of a golem. Dirt fasioned into a human-like form and animated with an incantation, letters or some other magical means. Sounds like how the bible says God mad us and how golems are made. So, my question is, are we golems?
And as I answered, you are wiser than that.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:52 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Aces4;2158015]And as I answered, you are wiser than that. :thumbup]

Thank you for the complement, but perhaps you overestimate me. The Bible does state that we were made out of dust, animated by His word and we shall return to dust. That describes us, and also describes a golem. So, I ask, from God's perspective, are we his golems? Either way, I will not be offended. I'm just curious.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:42 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=fdpaq0580;2158022]
Quote:
And as I answered, you are wiser than that. :thumbup]

Thank you for the complement, but perhaps you overestimate me. The Bible does state that we were made out of dust, animated by His word and we shall return to dust. That describes us, and also describes a golem. So, I ask, from God's perspective, are we his golems? Either way, I will not be offended. I'm just curious.

So, if I tell you that you are God’s golem you now admit that you believe in God?
Old 11-16-2022, 06:45 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default If you spend your time thinking about life after death...

then you are likely forgetting to live. What happens when you stop living is only a worry to those with no sense of "being" about the life they are living now.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:47 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,950 Times in 3,732 Posts

Did someone go to a Tony Robbins seminar??

Old 11-16-2022, 06:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
then you are likely forgetting to live. What happens when you stop living is only a worry to those with no sense of "being" about the life they are living now.

huh?
Old 11-16-2022, 08:03 PM
Sage

Pardon me while I go contemplate my navel.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.