What do you think happens when you die?

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2022, 06:54 AM

Some people think when you die it's like turning off a light switch, nothing. Others believe in heaven and hell. None of us are going to change what will actually happen by believing or not believing something. It's up to us to seek the truth. Eternity is a long long time. Claiming ignorance after the fact sounds like a poor strategy to me. I chose Jesus.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneclickplus View Post
Ecclesiastes 9:10 - Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.

So, there you go. Your body is buried and your consciousness ceases completely. You do not go to heaven. You sleep and await a resurrection.

John 3:13 - No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven.

Revelation 20:4-6 And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

Anything else any church teaches is lies and deception. Read your Bible. There is a good chance that what you have been taught is not in there.
Try reading the whole BIBLE before picking out small parts that suit your view. I am no expert, even though I have studied the Bible in college. You can make up your own mind what it is for you, but that doesn't mean that your opinion is correct. But, before announcing that it is incorrect, at least know something of it; read it.
In the Bible, GOD promises salvation from sin by man repentance and the belief that Jesus is is LORD. Paraphrasing, "All have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of GOD." "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. " And Jesus said "I go to prepare a place for you" speaking of heaven. There's much more to it than just that, but it really is simple. The Bible states that you cannot get to heaven by "works alone."
So, what does it mean to me? I believe that I will go to a BETTER place when my body ceases to work. That's my choice to believe. I consider this my "Life" insurance. For those that do not believe, then what happens to them once they die really shouldn't even matter, right? Some say, nothing happens and you just cease to exist. I believe in an after life. If they are right and I am wrong, then I have lost nothing. If I am right and they are wrong, then they have a problem. I have lost nothing by believing.
I won't argue my faith. I only say what I believe.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy2231 View Post
Kind of like the question "What is Love?"
Everything else stops...you go on.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:25 AM

Actually the Bible tells you to share your faith. Make sure you do as you were “told”.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneclickplus View Post
The thing is ... no one said the 72 virgins were women.
///
Old 10-16-2022, 07:47 AM
Sage

We can't know--for sure--but there is plenty of evidence not only of a level of existence and self-awareness that continues after our bodies die, as well as of a higher power that controls access to it. You can call that level of existence "Heaven" and that higher power "God". Other faiths have other names. But the general idea is always the same.

I'm no great God guy. My wife, on the other hand, is a person of great faith. Some years back we were at a seminar. While there, I sprained my thumb. Pretty painful, as well as discolored and swelled up. My wife asked if she could pray for me. I agreed, figuring I had nothing to lose. So she did. Right before my eyes I watched the swelling go down. In a matter of minutes it was completely back to normal. I know all about psychosomatic conditions but there is no way a sprain can be classified as that. Higher power?

About 20 years ago my dad died. He and Mom were living in Las Vegas at the time. We lived in Minnesota. On morning when I was out mowing the lawn, I felt my dad's presence. There was no vision. No miraculous manifestation. It was just "you can make your rows straighter than that", a quiet laugh and he was gone. A pleasant experience on a beautiful May morning. But in that instant I knew he had died. The phone call came about an hour later, confirming it. He had died about an hour earlier--at the precise time I felt his presence. I told Mom about the experience some time later and she remarked "that's EXACTLY what he would have said". Life after death?

About the only thing we CAN know for sure is that there is an overwhelming amount that we DON'T know.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,783 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooklift View Post
Actually the Bible tells you to share your faith. Make sure you do as you were “told”.
Like a food at a potluck dinner, by all means bring something to share. But, it would be rude to insist or demand that everyone eat only what you brought and that all the other offerings were poison.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
This is a very important question. And there are so many beliefs. I believe Heaven is a glorious place. There is quite an interesting book “ Proof of Heaven” by E Alexander. A neurosurgeon disbeliever in heaven, who faces brain cancer and researches and interviews those who have died for a period of time and came back to life. What they experienced. It’s a cross selection of people to rule out religion. I found the book fascinating and comforting.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Well we better have a strong belief in god. I guess nobody really knows for sure if we come back as another baby or what. I don’t know anybody that died & reappeared. Good question, I often wondered about this to, but I do believe in god, & my life is rapidly coming to an end. I just hope everything we’ve been told is true!
Gold member
Thanked 1,087 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanb View Post
Believers in Jesus will spend eternity In heaven with Him. Those who do not believe will spend eternity in hell If you repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ you will be saved. He is the only one who paid the price for sin. Many will say I’m narrow minded but you asked a really serious question and you deserved the Truth and a serious answer.
Then you should have given him a serious answer instead of a silly one.
Veteran member

Quote:
Faith, it is knowing, not thinking. I KNOW what will happen when I die. Therefore, I have no fear of death.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:33 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,087 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
What happens when you die? They change the sheets and give someone else your bed.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanb View Post
Believers in Jesus will spend eternity In heaven with Him. Those who do not believe will spend eternity in hell If you repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ you will be saved. He is the only one who paid the price for sin. Many will say I’m narrow minded but you asked a really serious question and you deserved the Truth and a serious answer.
Just because you wish for people who don't agree with you to go to hell doesn't make it the Truth.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
My son and his wife converted to the LDS church a few years ago and I attended their baptism. When I asked my son why he was converting he said "They take care of you, Dad". Well, right after the service his bishop, a dentist, came up to me and asked me when my son was going to get a job. lol

Later on after my son and his family moved to the Reno area I went to church with them when I visited. I got to know his bishop who I liked very much and visited in his office on occasion. One time his assistant came to the door and announced Mr. So and so was there with his W2. They are serious about tithing!
Mormons might be the most hypocritical organized religion of all. Your spiritual life doesn't matter to them nor do you, so long as you are contributing to the coffers of their church.
Old 10-16-2022, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,366 Times in 4,357 Posts

You live on thru others...

"At the rustling of the leaves and in the beauty of the autumn; We remember them. At the beginning of the year and when it ends; We remember them. As long as we live, they too will live, for they are now a part of us as We remember them. When we are weary and in need of strength; We remember them."

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.