What is a 'fair share'?

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2024, 06:02 AM

Who are the rich? Have you seen the stats on what constitutes the top 5%? Top 1%? I’ll bet the majority in TV are in the top 5% if not the top 1%. The majority of 65 year olds can’t afford to pay for a $1000 emergency.
But that’s not my fault and the people that worked and worked hard for the majority of their lives should not have to be penalized by paying the majority of the taxes.
Social security is not a benefit because we all contributed to it growing up. It was not an option for me and if it was, I would have funded my own retirement fund.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:10 AM

In the past there was a flat percentage that was floated that everyone should pay.
The problem with this and many other ideas is the write offs.
By the time the slick lawyers and the savvy accountant step in the wealthy will not only not pay their fair share, but the taxpayers will also even subsidies them.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
The fair share lingo is used by politicians to push for raising taxes on the rich. However when they raise taxes on “the rich” it seems everyone’s taxes go up. But the loopholes the rich have are not changed. So what it really means is an increase in taxes for most of us but not for their rich friends. It’s a shell game and a political phrase of deception.
it is a political buzzword....would they ever close the tax loopholes, that the politicians use themselves? never.....it is also a scheme that the politicians use to divide people.....so called "rich". vs not rich. people look at the division in this country, and fail to look at the politicians, who are the ones who cause it
Old 03-10-2024, 06:35 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
With regard to taxes, I keep hearing the term 'fair share', but I don't know what that means. How much is a 'fair share' in dollars?
Political question.

Politics will answer.

Old 03-10-2024, 06:42 AM

Quote:
With regard to taxes, I keep hearing the term 'fair share', but I don't know what that means. How much is a 'fair share' in dollars?
"Render to Caesar what is Caesar's..." - God

"Stupid is as stupid does." - Forrest Gump

So what is "fair share"?

The answer lies between the One that doesn't promise "fair"
and the other that suggests that actions have consequences; somewhere in between the wisdom and guides of these two geniuses.

Last edited by GizmoWhiskers; 03-10-2024 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Very few homeowners in The Villages would pay a penny of this “fair share.” It won’t get passed anyway, but even if it did, almost certainly you don’t have enough income for it to affect you, so don’t worry about it. It would affect Gary Morse’s three kids (in their sixties), but do they even live here? The dollar amount depends on their income.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:56 AM
Default Fair share

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There is no answer to your question.

But, if you want to pay off the national debt, every citizen needs to pay $102,574. To me, that would be fair.
Start paying then
Old 03-10-2024, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Sure there is. It's equal to some phantom amount that will make your constituents drool.

Ya, gonna have to disagree. I didn't ask for them to spend money they didn't have on projects I don't agree with. But I will nonetheless pony up my portion right after you get all the people living paycheck to paycheck to pay theirs.
I care about about the national debt, as much as the politicians care about the national debt......they could care less about it, cuz they keep doing it......and I could care less about it also
Old 03-10-2024, 06:58 AM

Quote:
9% of your income
Old 03-10-2024, 07:08 AM

Quote:
In the US, its a political term justifying redistribution of wealth. It's a concept not an amount. The basic premise is life is not fair until will are equally poor.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I have been paying 10% Federal tax on my adjusted gross income for a number of years. I do not feel that 10% is extreme.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bragones View Post
9% of your income

That would generate less than 50% of the current tax revenue.

Good Luck balancing that budget.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
Fair Share...

1. What should the taxes be on any tax-free investments? Like the municipal bonds sold to pay for public projects that benefit everyone. Yes, anyone can purchase tax-free municipal bonds that pay dividends not subject to federal or state income taxes.

2. There are several types of savings for retirement. Pensions, IRAs, Roth IRAs, 401K, and Roth 401K.

Many of you know that Roth IRAs and Roth 401K can have cash, bonds, and or other investments that can grow, and none of the withdrawals are subject to taxes, state or federal.

These are open to almost everyone who want to save for retirement.

So...if one has all their savings in a Roth fund, how much should they pay in taxes? At what value should holder be considered "rich"?

Everyone has the opportunity to work hard, save, and live within their means.

Everyone!
You forget people already paid taxes at the time of conversion. You make it sound tax free, only what you earn on the investment is.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:30 AM

Quote:
A fair share is a more evenly distributed tax based on percentages of one’s earnings. However, some elected politicians Re-define far share based on wealth of individuals and not earnings, which would present its own set of problems.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I don't know about dollars, but since this thread will probably turn political very quickly, the 2 hours 23 minutes that it has lasted so far is more than a fair share
I guess I was half right----the thread has turned political, yet it lives on.......
Closed Thread

Tags
fair, share, means, hearing, term

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.