What motivates some posters?

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I agree that the written word can convey meanings that are not exactly what the writer intended. For example, in a post above there is a comment that those who "have their eyes open" may have a differing opinion. Now, that phrase could be taken as a criticism of those whose opinion differs from the writer. Or it could be a suggestion that people need to look more deeply into matters.

But what seems to causing this turmoil is that there are those who see the community as a wonderful place to enjoy the fruits of their labors for the rest of their lives. They know there are some areas of concern, but feel the overall situation is entirely positive.

The other camp notices all the present and potential areas of concern and is not reticent to point them out. They also thoroughly enjoy the lifestyle available here, but have that background concern.

The first group seems to feel the second group is searching for the slightest blemish, like pointing out a mole on a beautiful face and encourages them to like it or leave it. The second group seems to feel the first is hiding their heads in the sand and accuses them of drinking the kool-aid or wearing rose colored glasses.

The truth is we need both people here. Just like both the POA and the VHA serve a purpose. It would serve both groups to be sure their words are informative and educational without denigrating the others' position.
Insightful.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Sage

Well, lets say that everyone is right. If that is a fact, then I would rather hear folks talk about how good things are and stop whining and complaining about things they signed up for and cannot change anyway.

We have traveled all over the world and I say for us: The Villages is the best of the best and if its not for you, then and let me enjoy it.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I agree that the written word can convey meanings that are not exactly what the writer intended. For example, in a post above there is a comment that those who "have their eyes open" may have a differing opinion. Now, that phrase could be taken as a criticism of those whose opinion differs from the writer. Or it could be a suggestion that people need to look more deeply into matters.

But what seems to causing this turmoil is that there are those who see the community as a wonderful place to enjoy the fruits of their labors for the rest of their lives. They know there are some areas of concern, but feel the overall situation is entirely positive.

The other camp notices all the present and potential areas of concern and is not reticent to point them out. They also thoroughly enjoy the lifestyle available here, but have that background concern.

The first group seems to feel the second group is searching for the slightest blemish, like pointing out a mole on a beautiful face and encourages them to like it or leave it. The second group seems to feel the first is hiding their heads in the sand and accuses them of drinking the kool-aid or wearing rose colored glasses.

The truth is we need both people here. Just like both the POA and the VHA serve a purpose. It would serve both groups to be sure their words are informative and educational without denigrating the others' position.
I agree that we need both types of people. But honestly, I feel that the rose colored glasses group tends to go overboard criticizing those that differ with their views. There is absolutely no need for that. As someone else mentioned, if you don't like a particular poster and their views, hit the ignore button.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Et toi aussi..

The Villages Florida
Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Sage

You're a hoot! and apparently quite technically savvy!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Sage

This is turning into the Hattfields and the McCoys!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Sage

sorry
Old 04-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Very well said. On this site,if you disagree with that majority.you are "labeled" Seems lots of people see things through rose colored glasses.Lots of the old timers on here are like they have their opinion and that is the only correct one. I have to admit,I like to "egg on" a few,and I hope it gets them thinking.
I also tend "egg" certain ones on, and as you say, try to get them thinking. It probably doesn't work, but its worth a shot.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Well, lets say that everyone is right. If that is a fact, then I would rather hear folks talk about how good things are and stop whining and complaining about things they signed up for and cannot change anyway.

We have traveled all over the world and I say for us: The Villages is the best of the best and if its not for you, then and let me enjoy it.
And aren't you lucky you got to learn about bonds, the IRS investigation, and sinkholes on TOTV so you could make an informed decision while doing your due diligence on The Villages, things you might not have learned from your sales person. You're welcome.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
And aren't you lucky you got to learn about bonds, the IRS investigation, and sinkholes on TOTV so you could make an informed decision while doing your due diligence on The Villages, things you might not have learned from your sales person. You're welcome.
Well said, thank you.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Trust me, I do my own research and that does not include taking financial advice from some unnamed source on any blog. Complainers are in business to disrupt and spread rumors for their own personal satisfaction. Give me facts and I will listen, give me your negative opinion and you shut my eyes and ears to worthless gossip.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Very well said. On this site,if you disagree with that majority.you are "labeled" Seems lots of people see things through rose colored glasses.Lots of the old timers on here are like they have their opinion and that is the only correct one. I have to admit,I like to "egg on" a few,and I hope it gets them thinking.
I "hear you" .

Like playing Devil's Advocate to let the other side of the story be shown.

Everyone would like to live in a Utopia, but it would be rare to find such a place.........especially if freedom of thought and expression are not allowed. How boring would that be. Different opinions can still be civil and polite.

I still can't get over my lifetime warning or whatever (when I never went to the political posts ever) and only once was answering someone's question as to where the v.p. elect's mother lived in Florida (which I had just read via the news online, out of curiousity myself). I am totally apolitical. It was a comment naming a town the mom lived in....the name of the town. Not supporting the nominee or bashing him........so that is not allowed, to say a town's name? Again, I am apolitical.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Sage

Senior. I just love you. I cannot wait to meet you in person. You have to be one of the best cooks in this country and one of the best mom's. I have read what you have to say on a lot of subjects and find you interesting, well read, fair and very caring.

I am so hoping to be your really friend.

So I feel compelled to point out the truth to you.

THIS is Utopia!

Going to put a little band aid over the chip site on my neck.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
I agree as well. You might as well have labeled this thread "What motivates some posters to post comments that I don't agree with?" Many of the people who are labeled as negative are those who don't have the pollyanna view of The Villages or the developer. Its been said many times but bears repeating, that The Villages is a wonderful place to live but is not perfect. It seems that whenever someone questions anything about The Villages that they wish were different, the change in the parades policy for example, or the IRS issue, they are branded negative and viewed by some as almost anti-American.

Just because someone has their eyes open and can see both sides of an issue, and happens to disagree with you doesn't make that person a troll. It is entirely possible that some people like to present both sides of an issue for the benefit of those newbies or people considering the Villages, so they get a balanced point of view. The IRS issue is one example. Its only fair for people considering buying to be aware of it. They are most likely not going to hear about it from their sales rep. I consider posters offering that type of balanced information as doing a public service.

The Villages is a great place to live but the only way to improve upon something good is to make corrections to make it even better. That isn't a bad thing. We should always be striving to make things better, and that entails change.

As far as offering links instead of hashing out the same stuff time after time, that is a good idea, but it does take time to research and find the links. Not everyone has that kind of time.
EXCELLENT POST. Most people who have lived to our age and "been around", traveled and seen all types of environments in which to live, do not have a pollyanna train of thought. Nothing in life is perfect. It also depends on where someone just came from. What they are comparing things to.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Senior. I just love you. I cannot wait to meet you in person. You have to be one of the best cooks in this country and one of the best mom's. I have read what you have to say on a lot of subjects and find you interesting, well read, fair and very caring.

I am so hoping to be your really friend.

So I feel compelled to point out the truth to you.

THIS is Utopia!

Going to put a little band aid over the chip site on my neck.

Uh oh.............I'm going to rent that movie again. Please don't turn me into one....or is it my husband that does that?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.