What motivates some posters?

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Senior...I just have to TELL you this. It would be wrong not too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Senior. I just love you. I cannot wait to meet you in person. You have to be one of the best cooks in this country and one of the best mom's. I have read what you have to say on a lot of subjects and find you interesting, well read, fair and very caring.

I am so hoping to be your really friend.

So I feel compelled to point out the truth to you.

THIS is Utopia!

Going to put a little band aid over the chip site on my neck.
It itches a little this morning.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Trust me, I do my own research and that does not include taking financial advice from some unnamed source on any blog. Complainers are in business to disrupt and spread rumors for their own personal satisfaction. Give me facts and I will listen, give me your negative opinion and you shut my eyes and ears to worthless gossip.
Now THAT is well said!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It itches a little this morning.
Put some calomine lotion on it........all better.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Sage

"Going to put a little band aid over the chip site on my neck."

Gracie, do you have an electronic fence too? ;-]
Old 04-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
EXCELLENT POST. Most people who have lived to our age and "been around", traveled and seen all types of environments in which to live, do not have a pollyanna train of thought. Nothing in life is perfect. It also depends on where someone just came from. What they are comparing things to.
So true. We too have traveled and seen many types of environments, and am happy to call the Villages home. The Villages is wonderful, but not perfect. Why that statement riles some people is beyond me. They must be insecure. The easiest way for me to deal with the pollyanna types has been to put a block on their posts.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts
Default Bill you are the BEST

All info you provide is soooo helpful and for that you get LOTS of popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Hi Mudder!

I do a lot of what you describe, at least in a couple of situations:

- a member posts a question about something that's already been addressed/answered on TOTV in the past, and

- a member posts a question that can be answered with a reply but is also supported further by the info in a link.

I'll post a link/links that should help them get the answer(s) they're looking for, simply as a means to be helpful.

If it does come across as arrogant in my case, I apologize as it's certainly not intended to be that way.

Thanks -
Bill
Old 04-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Bill you certainly do NOT come across as arrogant. I have found your info to be very helpful so please ignore the negative nellies and continue to be your generous self.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Bill you certainly do NOT come across as arrogant. I have found your info to be very helpful so please ignore the negative nellies and continue to be your generous self.
That Bill. He COULD be arrogant. He is as smart as a whip and has good ole Ohio "common sense".

But he isn't. We G's just love him and Sandy to pieces.

Someone took my request for popcorn down.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-06-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
So true. We too have traveled and seen many types of environments, and am happy to call the Villages home. The Villages is wonderful, but not perfect. Why that statement riles some people is beyond me. They must be insecure. The easiest way for me to deal with the pollyanna types has been to put a block on their posts.
Does that mean the pollyanna types are wrong and don't have a right to voice their opinion?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Gold member
Default Jumps to conclusions

Another aspect not mentioned so far (at least I did not see it) is that there are readers who either read too fast and jump to early conclusions or simply pick out the words of a post and latch onto them without reading the whole thing. Then they attack the parts offensive to them without getting the grasp of the whole. Off go the fireworks unnecessarily. They still have some sort of personality flaw or it still wouldn't happen.
Being a proofreader most of my life, I've learned to read anything I'm going to respond to for 3 reads. When one does that, it's amazing how many things one misses the first two reads. Doing the same thing when writing letters keeps from insulting people unintentionally.
Be kind, use the 3 times rule!
In reality, they're different!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,768 Posts

I have been active on a few other blogs. They ALL have trolls. In my experience the best reaction to them is no action. If their posts are totally ignored after a while they usually lose interest and drift away to find other blogs having posters who will respond to them. These trolls seek attention and get off on any responses they obtain, at least in my humble opinion.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
Being a proofreader most of my life, I've learned to read anything I'm going to respond to for 3 reads. When one does that, it's amazing how many things one misses the first two reads. Doing the same thing when writing letters keeps from insulting people unintentionally.
Be kind, use the 3 times rule!
Yup. I read my posts about three times before hitting the submit button.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

There are people who are trolls who just go around looking to make trouble. Then there are those people who are just disagreeable people, and then there is me.

Hello..I'm Mack and I'm an internet fighter. (Group says..Hi Mack!)

What I have found is that when I run across something that I find so stupid, so arrogant, so ignorant or so goofy, I have the urge to speak up.

However..the angel on my shoulder tells me to just shake my head and SHUT-UP and go over to the thread about ice cream and ask where the ice cream stand is located that everyone's talking about.

Unfortunately, Beelzeebub is sitting on my other shoulder telling me to go bite whomever it is that has wrankled my undies. Again..unfortunately, the forked-tailed one wins out more than he loses, and the next thing I know I am wasting my time in a worthless full-out verbal snowball fight with some "ghost" on an internet board.

Sigh.

The internet can offer some valuable information, and I have learned a lot of good things off TOTV. I have even found my new internet BFF (G-Person)However..the temptation to fire off at somebody anonymously is far too great.

There's an old PA Dutch saying.."We grow too soon old and too late smart".

Amen.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
There are people who are trolls who just go around looking to make trouble. Then there are those people who are just disagreeable people, and then there is me.

What I have found is that when I run across something that I find so stupid, so arrogant, so ignorant or so goofy, I have the urge to speak up.

However..the angel on my shoulder tells me to just shake my head and SHUT-UP and go over to the thread about ice cream and ask where the ice cream stand is located that everyone's talking about.

Unfortunately, Beelzeebub is sitting on my other shoulder telling me to go bite whomever it is that has wrankled my undies. Again..unfortunately, the forked-tailed one wins out more than he loses, and the next thing I know I am wasting my time in a worthless full-out verbal snowball fight with some "ghost" on an internet board.

Sigh.

The internet can offer some valuable information, and I have learned a lot of good things off TOTV. I have even found my new internet BFF (G-Person)However..the temptation to fire off at somebody anonymously is far too great.

Amen.
Good post...
Old 04-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post

Sigh.

Amen.
That's a good one, Mack184. Good explanation, and thanks for the thoughts--which apply to a lot of us, myself especially. So ditto.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.