What is the purpose?

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Sage
Default What is the purpose?

Initially when I became a visitor to this forum, it was because I was moving here and I wanted to try to learn about the environment and what TV had to offer, who the good contractors were, how to build the house, etc. I actually had no idea people who didn't live here and never had were participating and giving advice.

So my question is why do people that don't live here participate? And I guess more to the point is why do they participate in a way that is condescending and supercilious towards people that do live here. I don't think they would like it if people on TOTV started putting down their hometown. Nobody is without skeletons.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
Initially when I became a visitor to this forum, it was because I was moving here and I wanted to try to learn about the environment and what TV had to offer, who the good contractors were, how to build the house, etc. I actually had no idea people who didn't live here and never had were participating and giving advice.

So my question is why do people that don't live here participate? And I guess more to the point is why do they participate in a way that is condescending and supercilious towards people that do live here. I don't think they would like it if people on TOTV started putting down their hometown. Nobody is without skeletons.
Agree,,, when I joined TOTV, it also was to learn all about The Villages with the intent to MOVE HERE!!! Many of us didn't live here at the time and we were all learning and asking questions relevant to our moves. Don't understand why people who have no intention of living here or even thinking of living here would be offering their advice on things they know nothing about.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 07-04-2014, 08:58 AM

I'm with you KathieI.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Sage

People join message boards for many reasons. Both of you joined to find out about the community. I joined after arriving here.

Readers get to "know" others by their writing style and seem to enjoy the personalities of the members. After a while, they become a part of your life.

While there are some who might find it acceptable to be disrespectful of others and the community they are not a part of, not all who live elsewhere do this.

People mock what they fear, what they feel will make them look better than others or what they might see in themselves.

I love this community, both the physical community with it's beauty and wonderful people as well as the cyber community. Those whose opinions differ so much from ours do get us to thinking...and expressing...a little bit of stress keeps the mind working...
Old 07-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post

I wonder the same. I guess they are bored with their life and have too much time on their hands so they are busy tearing down active, happy people with fun, full lives. Honestly some of the "research" they do must take hours.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV MAN View Post
I'm with you KathieI.
Me too!!!!!!!!! Glad someone finally addressed this.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

There are only a few and we all who the biggest offender is.....................
Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Sage

I had a friend, (passed away), that moved to TV, and kept inviting me down to his home. I finally visited several years ago, and was blown away by the beauty of TV and it's wonderful people. It's not perfect but it's about as close as you can get. No one and nothing is perfect in life!

I was totally unaware this site existed when I visited. When I did join this forum, I found it to be very comforting to know people really cared about one another, and made close friends. Being single, I have friends that are married, as well as single. I value all of them.

TOTV has been invaluable, in getting to know what contractors to use, and knowing where to go, to find what you are looking for. I don't use contractors, unless a trusted friend recommends them. So far, it has worked out, splendidly!!! I have saved a ton of money by listening to my trusted friends, and saved myself a lot of heartache. I not sure if I would have ever moved here if two of my friends didn't encourage me, when I thought it wouldn't happen for me.

"People criticize what they don't understand". I feel sorry for those who take to a bulletin board, just to dispute what others are saying, without having any first hand knowledge. It makes me wonder, "why even go there"!!!! Don't you have something more constructive to do, with your life?

We all have our moral standards. Mine is. "if you want to have a good time and be nice to one another, then I'm your man". If not, please stay home and be miserable by yourself.

I never understood the concept of, "I must knock you down, to lift myself up".

"If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it".

Off soapbox.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I view this question from a different point of view and it all comes down to defining terms and remembering of the absence of body language with this media. Set aside the obvious"/direct offense such as our a jerk" and perhaps that person is advancing a position with which other disagree. so one can conclude that they disagree but it doesn't make the person writing disagreeable.

Second I seldom search for agreement but seek attempting to understand a person's position.

Third we are all entitled to our opinions but we are not entitled to our own facts.

Fourth sometimes outsiders see clearer than those closest to a situation/problem/issue.

Fifth and the most important to me is that my over-riding goal is to do right and not to always be right. to me learning cannot truly be attained unless we let go of our ego and hence our biases. Certainly it can not always be accomplished but a good faith effort every time will yield better results
Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,797 Times in 3,658 Posts

Maybe they are jealous &/or unhappy. Since they can not be here, they want to try to make the bubble-people miserable.

Last edited by dewilson58; 07-04-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

I am tired of the few people on here, who don't live here and have made it a very long point to let everyone know they don't intend to move here, who nonetheless hang on and bring up every negative point about The Villages and its occupants, complete with with lectures and copying and pasting. And also the few "you're a jerk"- type people who live here but hate TV, or don't live here but push their nastiness in everyone's face through sarcasm and name calling.

I hope I have covered them all. Thank you to Schisamax for bringing up this elephant in the room--or on the forum, as it were.

This thread may get canceled by Admin, but enough is enough, and we really need a chance to have our say.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Sage

I hadn't thought about it from the point of view that these people have no great life of their own but the expression "Misery loves company" now comes to mind. I am sorry people are so unhappy in their own place and life that they feel they need to put others down. Very sad. There are support groups everywhere and they need to find a support group in their home town to deal with their anger and unhappiness.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I am tired of the few people on here, who don't live here and have made it a very long point to let everyone know they don't intend to move here, who nonetheless hang on and bring up every negative point about The Villages and its occupants, complete with with lectures and copying and pasting. And also the few "you're a jerk"- type people who live here but hate TV, or don't live here but push their nastiness in everyone's face through sarcasm and name calling.

I hope I have covered them all. Thank you to Schisamax for bringing up this elephant in the room--or on the forum, as it were.

This thread may get canceled by Admin, but enough is enough, and we really need a chance to have our say.

Thanks for posting exactly what I was thinking.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

Yes, I agree CFrance and since we know who some of them are ... Why
Not just ignore all their many posts and just plain not answer their posts?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Sage

Everyone has a reason to be here, even those that dont live or intend to live here.

- some people could be bored, maybe they were barred from other forums, these people need a life.

- some people use forums to sway customers their way or to stay business away from competitors. i.e., if you were selling real estate in a competing development, you might try to portray The Villages as something other than "Lovely."

I always thought forums should give members the ability to get "certified" status. To gain that status you would have to meet an established member, like Gracegirl, maybe buy her a drink and you get "certified" that you are who you say you are.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.