What A Sensible Move

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default What A Sensible Move

There is a moratorium on building in Osceola County in order to provide government leaders an opportunity to review the impact and to make changes to the pattern of future building. The county recognizes that its infrastructure is insufficient to maintain its present rate of growth.

Florida voters were given an opportunity to vote on such moratoriums in 2010 but the lobby for realtors and developers kicked into high gear and side tracked the initiative.

Sumter county is governed by Sumter One. Sumter One lives to serve the Developer. Sumter One repeal was on the ballot in 2010. the developer kicked into high gear and derailed the initiative.

When the population growth finally settles it will require massive changes in infrastructure, maintenance etc and with that will come ever increasing taxes.

So enjoy the ride now but as the guy on television said "you can pay me now or you can pay me later."

This is not a complaint its an observational fact
Old 12-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
There is a moratorium on building in Osceola County in order to provide government leaders an opportunity to review the impact and to make changes to the pattern of future building. The county recognizes that its infrastructure is insufficient to maintain its present rate of growth.

Florida voters were given an opportunity to vote on such moratoriums in 2010 but the lobby for realtors and developers kicked into high gear and side tracked the initiative.

Sumter county is governed by Sumter One. Sumter One lives to serve the Developer. Sumter One repeal was on the ballot in 2010. the developer kicked into high gear and derailed the initiative.

When the population growth finally settles it will require massive changes in infrastructure, maintenance etc and with that will come ever increasing taxes.

So enjoy the ride now but as the guy on television said "you can pay me now or you can pay me later."

When the population growth finally settles, after all the Boomers have retired at ten thousand a day for the next 13 years, most of us will be in The Village of Heavenly. (MOST of us)
Old 12-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I disagree about your evaluation.
In all due respect, that was a given. Some of us moved away in part because we wanted to get way from big city living, crowds, traffic, etc. It seems however big city living is being foisted upon us and we don't even get to vote on it.

Cést' la vie
Old 12-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
In all due respect, that was a given. some of us moved away in part because we wanted to get way from big city living, crowds, traffic, etc. It seems however big city living is being foisted upon us.

cést'la vie
And some of us think that what is happening is very good here. Except the gorging of population that occurs all over Florida at this time of the year until the end of March,with people who visit who don't own here or have ties to The Villages.

Disclaimer. I am not speaking of property owners known as snowbirds, snowflakes or Fruitflies. (Those who own in Fruitland park area)
Old 12-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
And some of us think that what is happening is very good here. Except the gorging of population that occurs all over Florida at this time of the year until the end of March,with people who visit who don't own here or have ties to The Villages.

Disclaimer. I am not speaking of property owners known as snowbirds, snowflakes or Fruitflies. (Those who own in Fruitland park area)
Perhaps we can at least agree that about the year 2007 the adjective "quaint" loss all of its attractive meaning as respects The Villages?

Personal Best Regards:
Old 12-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Default what a sensible move

Quote:

What is Sumter One?
Old 12-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicata View Post
What is Sumter One?
Sumter One essentially kept all 5 County Commissioner reporting /meeting here in The Villages . The concern- fear- allegation is that all 5 county commissioners would act on behalf of the developer first vis a vis their respective territory within the county.

Indeed the Developer campaigned aggressively in 2010 to have Sumter One vote on repeal failed.

My view at the time was to ensure that each county commissioner have not even the mere appearance of conflict of interest with their duties to the residents residing in their respective county territory . And that everyone was assured that each commissioner was working on behalf of the needs in their respective corners of the county and meeting the needs of the people residing there.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 12-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

And this?: One Sumter: let the games begin
Old 12-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Thank you for your quick reply.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Please let it be noted that the above is an opinion piece.

My opinion is that The Villages is run far better as a CDD than it would with input from all of the people who would like to run it who have never been involved in Civic Government. Then we would all be using the word "MESS" a lot.

CDD forever as far as I am concerned. I don't want the inmates running the asylum. We have seen how that works by just looking at other areas the same size run in the "ordinary" way.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Sage

Quote:

It also means that people who do not live in The Villages, but live in Sumter County, have no say in what goes on in Sumter County .

We live in a "bubble" and all we see is what we are allowed to see. So if there is a need outside our bubble, it will not get addressed because.... well.... we live in a bubble and One Sumter.

But some people are content to put their heads in the sand, and who cares about anyone else in the county...

Right????

Last edited by angiefox10; 12-10-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Agree 100%.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
It also means that people who do not live in The Villages, but live in Sumter County, have no say in what goes on in Sumter County .

We live in a "bubble" and all we see is what we are allowed to see. So if there is a need outside our bubble, it will not get addressed because.... well.... we live in a bubble and One Sumter.

But some people are content to put their heads in the sand, and who cares about anyone else in the county...

Right????
Well before the Morses arrived here Sumter was one of the three poorest counties in Florida with the comparable low employment.

It all depends on what a person WANTS from a county.

Like..changing the animal shelter.

Florida Poverty Rate by County

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-10-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Please let it be noted that the above is an opinion piece.

My opinion is that The Villages is run far better as a CDD than it would with input from all of the people who would like to run it who have never been involved in Civic Government. Then we would all be using the word "MESS" a lot.

CDD forever as far as I am concerned. I don't want the inmates running the asylum. We have seen how that works by just looking at other areas the same size run in the "ordinary" way.
I provided the link because it contains information explaining what One Sumter is. I don't really care what anyone's opinion is. I was providing an answer to a question.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

This is an interesting article on the history of One Sumter, at least until August 2004. ONE SUMTER ONE HOT ISSUE - News - Ocala.com - Ocala, FL

Andrew Blechman, if I recall correctly, also addressed this issue in his book "Leisureville".

Sumter County was indeed not only a financially very poor county prior to The Villages being developed, it was sparsely populated and mostly rural.

I view the current population disbursement as somewhat akin to NYC and the rest of New York State. Would the whole of New York State like to be run solely by candidates dedicated primarily to benefitting NYC?

Of course one could argue NYC is not controlled by a single large real estate development business; perhaps Wall Street, though...anyway, it now is what it is.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 12-10-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
sumter, county, growth, pay, infrastructure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.