Old 06-22-2020, 09:03 AM

65" samsung qled....love it
Old 06-22-2020, 09:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTAP15 View Post
I own a 21 inch Dumont. I've owned it for quite awhile
It's in a very nice wood cabinet. I have some concern as when the tubes burn out, it is getting harder and harder to get replacements for them
LOL. That brought back memories of when we were first married and had a19" RCA. Used to go to Cunningham's Drug Store for tubes because they were the only place nearby that had them. Growing up, we had a Dumont, A Philco, and a Zenith with the first remote control. My Dad worked for Good Housekeeping, so we alway got a floor model after they had been out 6 months.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTAP15 View Post
I own a 21 inch Dumont. I've owned it for quite awhile
It's in a very nice wood cabinet. I have some concern as when the tubes burn out, it is getting harder and harder to get replacements for them
I think I have a 1G3 laying around if you need it!
Old 06-22-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
We have several tv's. (We combined two houses -- full-time and seasonal.) All are Samsung. The one in the master is about 12 years old and still has a beautiful picture. For tv's you can't beat Samsung.

kathy
Ditto to Samsung. I plan on buying a 65” for my LR. I sit about 10 feet away. Will put my 55” in the MBR. Both will be mounted.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofSnow View Post
Just wondering what size and model TV do you currently own for your living room and bedrooms? I am thinking of either the samsung 4k or the TCL Roku. I haven't decided on a definite size as of yet.
I would love to know your thoughts on the ones you own.
Thank you!
VISIO 4 K 75 INCH IN THE LIVING ROOM WITH SURROUND SOUND MOUNTED ON THE WALL. 47 in on the Lanai, and 42 in the bedroom. LOVE THE 75
Old 06-22-2020, 10:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofSnow View Post
Just wondering what size and model TV do you currently own for your living room and bedrooms? I am thinking of either the samsung 4k or the TCL Roku. I haven't decided on a definite size as of yet.
I would love to know your thoughts on the ones you own.
Thank you!
Samsung has a great reputation and we have had the same one for over 10 years now with no problems. Bought one for my mother(55inch 4k) a couple of years ago and it only lasted a little over a year. Picture went out but sound still worked. Not sure of the model. Was told by Best Buy that all the brands have a small percentage of TVs that will do that. Did some research and couldn't find that there were any wide spread problems. Got her another Samsung and the same thing happened. My brother who is an IT guy found out that Samsung is having quality problems. Now she has an LG. Again, not sure of the model, but no problems yet.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com View Post
We have in the living room a 70” Sharp Aquos, it’s 10 years old looks great and the picture is vivid and beautiful!!!!!!!!
We have Sharp Aquos, a little smaller but older than yours. It is picture perfect as well. We could use a larger TV for our room size but have no need for it.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Just bought a 75-inch Samsung 4K OLED. It’s scheduled for delivery on Wednesday. Got a terrific deal from my longtime appliance supplier in suburban Chicago. Price with five-year extended warranty, delivered to my residence here in TV was $2,497, no taxes, no shipping fee.

A 65-inch 4K OLED would have been $1,497.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:19 AM

We have an old Phillips 50 inch plasma. Heavy? Oh my god. Has as good a picture or better than our 65 inch Samsung. LG was OK but had trouble brightening the picture until the guy at the store showed us the secret hand shake to adjust it. I ask how would I know without a manual. He said you wouldn't. You have to work here. Anyway, we bought Samsung and it's great and now so is the LG. Vizio died in about 2 years and tuff noogies. They only look big the first day, then they look just right. Currently 65s are a great buy and 75s are coming down.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bills View Post
quote:
A general guideline is to sit between 1.5 to 2.5 times the diagonal screen measurement away, with about a 30-degree viewing angle. For example, if you have a 40" tv, you should be sitting somewhere between 5 and 8.3 feet from the screen

my youngest grandson would have disagreed with that guidline, he believed 18" to 24" was far enough away from any size screen.
He used to walk from side to side to keep up with the action!
lol!!!!
Old 06-22-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
It’s not about being “fooled.” OLED vs. QLED is about how you use your TV, when/where you view it, etc. Both are good choices for different reasons. Anyone considering it should do their own research on the differences and make a choice based on how they use their TV and what is most important to them. One is not better than the other in all cases.
Well, of course it always comes down to how important various features are to a given customer. I'm coming from the standpoint of the overall king of picture quality, and honestly - OLED takes that crown. It's not really disputable. Yes, QLED sets can get brighter and QLED sets may have more sizes to choose from. Additionally, OLED sets can suffer from image burn-in, so be careful watching that cable news channel all day long.

That said, OLED sets have virtually perfect black levels. Why? Because there's no backlight like traditional LED (including QLED) sets. OLED sets have very wide viewing angles. That means you can be way off to the side (versus sitting in the center of where the TV is located) and still see the picture display as it's meant to be seen. Sets with poor off-angle viewing have distorted colors/tints or other picture abnormalities as you view from side angles. OLED sets have great "motion blur" characteristics due to their nearly instant response times. Traditional LED sets take longer for the pixels to switch from one color to the next, which can lead to blurring.

I'm not saying QLED, e.g. Samsung QLED sets are bad. And by "don't be fooled", I simply mean don't think that because one manufacturer uses an "O" and one uses a "Q" preceding "LED" that they are the same technology. They're not. If you're going to be watching TV in a very bright room (sunlight beaming onto the TV), QLED is probably a better choice. But in a typical viewing environment - and especially at night - OLED easily wins the picture quality sweepstakes.

If you're not interested in the best possible picture (keeping in mind that "best possible" is determined by the quality of the original source of the show/movie and how it's transmitted), then look for something other than OLED from LG. For example, the TCL Series 6 Roku TV (a QLED set) gets very good reviews, and is at a very sweet price. Built-in Roku technology and admirable picture quality is a great combo. Just make sure you go for Series 6 or Series 8, vs. earlier TCL series like 4 or 5.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

I hope the OLED TV has a good picture. The 88 inch LG model at Best Buy is $29,999.99.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:58 PM
Veteran member

And you were interested in how big and what brand , Jerry has all the info anybody would ever need, now that is a tv guy . THANKS
Old 06-22-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Size does not matter.
The only reason a person would say something like that is because............
Old 06-22-2020, 02:39 PM

Such an easy question yet such complicated answers. The correct answer is, how big is the wall where you expect to put the TV? Find a TV that fits that space! If they don't make a TV big enough, then simply get the biggest, best one your wallet can handle. The reality is I can watch DirecTV or Netflix on my tablet but I'd rather watch on my huge TV. Why? For the same reason I'm not driving something like a Nissan Micra - because I'm a dude! Yes Size does Matter!! Hmmm, I have been divorced twice, maybe I should rethink that. Never mind, I'll stick with Size does Matter.
Closed Thread

Tags
size, model, love, thoughts, definite

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.