Did you ever have a nickname?

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Sage
Default Did you ever have a nickname?

Mine was TR for Thomas Richard. I hung out with a band in college but I couldn't play or sing. So I called myself the manager and introduced myself as TR. It sounded more important and made my friends laugh. So it stuck, for a little while anyway.

As a kid I always wanted a cool nickname because I was good at something. But because I was mediocre at everything, I never got one.

My father's generation seemed to have a lot of nicknames. I remember being introduced to 2 relatives, old enough to be my uncles, named Bouby and Tutty. My Aunt Lorraine was called Rainy and there last name was Wood so her husband was called Woody. My Uncle Herman was called Jack for reasons unknown and my dad’s name is John so he was also called Jack, just like many other Johns. Two brothers named Jack.

Last edited by tomwed; 10-22-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Gold member

In the service I was called Jersey because I was from there. Didn't like it much but it was better than one of my friends who was called Spanky because he resembled the Our Gang star.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:44 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Have been called DiDi most of my childhood. Dad called me this because I couldn't say "Daddy." After both my father and brother died at age 36, I was firmly convinced DiDi was a jinx and insisted on being called Dee. Has been Dee ever since.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-22-2014, 12:23 PM

I was named after my Uncle Bill so I became Little Bill, which I hated. My father called me Will and Willie, which I didn't mind and some teachers called me Billy, which I also didn't care for. Most of the family is gone now so it's just Bill, which suites me fine.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

Mine was Mal because my little neighbor couldn't say Marilyn, he said Malerin and Mal for short. Many people still call me Mal.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Sage

My grandkids, when young, all called me Dampy Deve instead of Grampy Dave
Old 10-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Sage

Harvey and me called our sons Joey and Tommy. They were and still are best friends. One day, when they were preteens they wanted to have a serious conversation with us. They said that from now on we should call them Joe and Tom. We agreed. But in private, we call them Joey and Tommy.

Last edited by tomwed; 10-22-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Sage

No, and I'm glad of it. My brother had a nick name and changed it when he got older. It may be somethig cute that suits a kid, but when you get serious employment you don't want to be called by a kid's nickname.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Moose, I was big and an athlete, so somebody started it and it stuck - for awhile.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Gold member

My gramps called me Ginger because I had red hair. Grams called me Tess (because she liked that name). My brothers called me TS (short for a Tough ----) because I was. And my friends called me Stormy because my last name was Storm! My favorite name is MOM!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Moose, I was big and an athlete, so somebody started it and it stuck - for awhile.
My son, also big and athletic, is nicknamed Moose! He is 6'4", now 220, but in college was 285! Yes he was a lineman!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:58 PM

Mine was Jar, I have been friends with Rock, Sardo, Stork, Hero, Snake, Bunchie and Barrel for over 55 years.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Sage

I grew up in a very small town and was named after my Dad . He became called Big Jim and I was called Little Jim .
My immediate and extended family did and still do call me Jimmy .
My last name is Gately . My high school hockey coach called me " Fencely " . My friends in high school and college called me " Gator ".
But the best name I have is from my two grand-daughters who call me " Pa-Pa ".
Old 10-22-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Maybe they got that name from Moose in the Archie comic books. Moose was the school jock, big and ready to fight.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Some people call me Winston.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.