What is your guess as to percentage of Villagers who are vaccinated against Covid-19?

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2021, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

"It is a terrible accident of nature and we have no recourse but to do all of the things we as mankind have done."

Some folks do not believe this is an "accident" and do not believe that things will go back to normal. I have seen no one in power that has been able to (with credibility) promise the public that we will ever be able to go back to OUR normal living. I see no reason that folks should accept a new norm where masks are part of everyday "living." When half the medical field state that once vaccinated there is no reason to wear a mask in public, someone needs to provide a better explanation/reason if they wish a mass compliance. Saying one is a "expert" does not prove their statements when half the "experts" suggest differently.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I would guess that about 80% are vaccinated. If you look at the State of Florida website, add up the seniors 65 and older that are vaccinated, and compare that to the 4.5 million seniors in Florida. Almost 80% of the seniors in Florida are vaccinated.
The state of Florida has a population of just under 25 million. Seniors make up only 4.5 million of those 25 million. That's 20%. Most people under 50 have not yet been vaccinated (but are in the process of doing so effective 2 weeks ago when the under-50 crowd was given the green light).

I'm guessing around half the population between 50 and 65 have gotten their first vaccine, but aren't completely vaccinated yet.

So the overall average of 80% from YOUR first sentence, I believe, doesn't fall in line with logic and deductive reasoning.

I'd say the overall average is still under 70% state-wide.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The state of Florida has a population of just under 25 million. Seniors make up only 4.5 million of those 25 million. That's 20%. Most people under 50 have not yet been vaccinated (but are in the process of doing so effective 2 weeks ago when the under-50 crowd was given the green light).

I'm guessing around half the population between 50 and 65 have gotten their first vaccine, but aren't completely vaccinated yet.

So the overall average of 80% from YOUR first sentence, I believe, doesn't fall in line with logic and deductive reasoning.

I'd say the overall average is still under 70% state-wide.
The population of Florida is 21.5 million, not 25 million. The 80% is for seniors being vaccinated from the State of Florida website. The vast majority of people in the Villages are 65 and older. Of course there a few people younger than 65 in the Villages, but not many.

Of the seniors in the Villages, I’d put that percentage at about 80%. I’d also guess that the numbers of anti-vaccination people in the Villages are lower than in other parts of Florida of the same age group, because of the concentration of seniors in the Villages, and the higher risk for concentrations of older people.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
"It is a terrible accident of nature and we have no recourse but to do all of the things we as mankind have done."

Some folks do not believe this is an "accident" and do not believe that things will go back to normal. I have seen no one in power that has been able to (with credibility) promise the public that we will ever be able to go back to OUR normal living. I see no reason that folks should accept a new norm where masks are part of everyday "living." When half the medical field state that once vaccinated there is no reason to wear a mask in public, someone needs to provide a better explanation/reason if they wish a mass compliance. Saying one is a "expert" does not prove their statements when half the "experts" suggest differently.
Oh please. Mammograms never existed, once upon a time. And now they're considered a normal and expected part of an average woman's journey through adulthood. They've become the "new normal" for women, and other than complaining about how uncomfortable they are to get (I attest!), the vast majority of women get them and don't even batt an eye when the doctor reminds them it's time for the next one.

Triple antibiotic ointment didn't exist, once upon a time. And now any parent keeps a tube of the stuff in the cabinet to smear on Junior when he scrapes his leg. There's nothing nefarious about it, and it has become the "new normal" to prepare for the inevitability. It is a preventative for infection. You no longer have to pour whiskey over the wound or pack it with macerated herb poultices and hope it doesn't fester.

Masks has been a normal in some parts of the world for decades. No one gives it a second thought. You leave the house, you wear a mask. No big deal. It's not mandated in those countries, no one is telling them they must do so. They do anyway. There's no reason why we can't do the same here, except that everyone is so focused on "mah freedumz" that they forget "mah health" is one of those freedumz.

Sort of like, if the color green offends you, but it's discovered that green can actually be helpful to humanity in some strange way, then when most of the world starts putting a green rock outside their door, you decide you'll just steal all the rocks because it offends your delicate sensibilities and violates your freedom to not have to see green.

Seriously. That's the mentality I perceive when I hear people railing against masks because of conspiracies and political agendas. If you don't want to wear a mask because you just don't LIKE them, be honest. That is a valid reason to not WANT to wear them. I hate the things, myself. I personally would love to not wear them in other peoples' buildings. No one thinks less of me for not wanting half my face to be covered when I'm out grocery shopping. No one thinks less of me for really wishing no one else had to do the same, so I could read their lips since I'm hard of hearing.

But I'll still wear the mask, until the CDC says it's safe for the vast majority of people (around 80%, regardless of age) to not wear them. The CDC is saying it's safe for vaccinated people to not wear them. But MOST people are not fully vaccinated. And so as a precaution, no matter how unnecessary it is for ME, I'll continue. Your health is more important than my facial comfort.

And if you haven't gotten the virus yet and have shopped at Publix in the last year, you're welcome.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
As of this morning Florida is second in the nation behind Michigan in new Covid cases. Not good.
Rate per thousand, or total number of cases?

Can’t look at total number of cases alone, as Florid has a very large population when compared to most other states.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 04-20-2021, 07:38 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
According to the CDC 87% of those who have been hospitalized or died from Covid were obese or overweight. Also according to the CDC, on average, those who died from Covid had 2.6 comorbidities. The most common being diabetes, lung disease, heart disease and hypertension. As someone who is not overweight and has none of the common preexisting conditions, my risk level is extremely low. Therefore I will most likely opt not to take the vaccine.
Thats fine. Your choice. Just stay far away from me
Old 04-20-2021, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Sumter is doing relatively well, most new cases are younger people in the coastal population areas.

Covid Act Now
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	24B888EA-92C9-4BAF-9E5D-CBF1D1423668.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	89129  
Old 04-20-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Heard on the news that half the country has been vaccinated. I saw a map with deep colors showing counties with the most vaccination. Sumter county stands out right away on a map of Florida.

I wonder what percentage of Villagers have been vaccinated.

I am guessing about 70%.

I am proud of our careful thinking of ourselves and others.
I don't think it's helpful to imply that those choosing not to vaccinate are somehow uncaring of others. The Villages population is 96.8% white non-hispanic. Can I surmise then that Villages residents are racist? These false connections between two pieces of data do not automatically correlate. Do I hate the planet when I buy a bottle of water (the plastic being then disposed)?

The link below shows a correlation between getting the vaccine and acquiring Herpes Zoster. Maybe I don't want to risk getting Herpes Zoster. True to the bias of many, the article suggests that maybe some should get another vaccine for Herpes before getting the COVID shot. LOL

New vaccine side effect? In Israel, six people develop herpes zoster - The Jerusalem Post

The text below is verbatim from the Pfizer fact sheet at the FDA website. Here is the link to the PDF:
http://www.fda.gov/media/144414/download
The text was copied from the PDF revised as of 4/6/21

Comment: this "vaccine" doesn't look "safe" to me at all. It is for all these safety reasons that I choose not to ever vaccinate. By the way, on that map with colors for what areas have been vaccinated, you will see a little circle with no color at all. That's my house.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is an unapproved vaccine. In clinical trials, approximately 20,000 individuals 16 years of age and older have received at least 1 dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine.

There is a remote chance that the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine could cause a severe allergic reaction. A severe allergic reaction would usually occur within a few minutes to one hour after getting a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. For this reason, your vaccination provider may ask you to stay at the place where you received your vaccine for monitoring after vaccination. Signs of a severe allergic reaction can include:
• Difficulty breathing
• Swelling of your face and throat
• A fast heartbeat
• A bad rash all over your body
• Dizziness and weakness
Side effects that have been reported with the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine include:
• severe allergic reactions
• non-severe allergic reactions such as rash, itching, hives, or swelling of the face
• injection site pain
• tiredness
• headache
• muscle pain
• chills
• joint pain
• fever
• injection site swelling
• injection site redness
• nausea
• feeling unwell
• swollen lymph nodes (lymphadenopathy)
• diarrhea
• vomiting
• arm pain

These may not be all the possible side effects of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. Serious and unexpected side effects may occur. Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is still being studied in clinical trials.
And, I'm not wearing the damn mask.
Majority doesn't rule here. My body, my choice. Get over it.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneclickplus View Post
I don't think it's helpful to imply that those choosing not to vaccinate are somehow uncaring of others. The Villages population is 96.8% white non-hispanic. Can I surmise then that Villages residents are racist? These false connections between two pieces of data do not automatically correlate. Do I hate the planet when I buy a bottle of water (the plastic being then disposed)?

The link below shows a correlation between getting the vaccine and acquiring Herpes Zoster. Maybe I don't want to risk getting Herpes Zoster. True to the bias of many, the article suggests that maybe some should get another vaccine for Herpes before getting the COVID shot. LOL

New vaccine side effect? In Israel, six people develop herpes zoster - The Jerusalem Post

The text below is verbatim from the Pfizer fact sheet at the FDA website. Here is the link to the PDF:
http://www.fda.gov/media/144414/download
The text was copied from the PDF revised as of 4/6/21

Comment: this "vaccine" doesn't look "safe" to me at all. It is for all these safety reasons that I choose not to ever vaccinate. By the way, on that map with colors for what areas have been vaccinated, you will see a little circle with no color at all. That's my house.

-------------------------------------------------------

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is an unapproved vaccine. In clinical trials, approximately 20,000 individuals 16 years of age and older have received at least 1 dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine.

There is a remote chance that the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine could cause a severe allergic reaction. A severe allergic reaction would usually occur within a few minutes to one hour after getting a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. For this reason, your vaccination provider may ask you to stay at the place where you received your vaccine for monitoring after vaccination. Signs of a severe allergic reaction can include:
• Difficulty breathing
• Swelling of your face and throat
• A fast heartbeat
• A bad rash all over your body
• Dizziness and weakness
Side effects that have been reported with the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine include:
• severe allergic reactions
• non-severe allergic reactions such as rash, itching, hives, or swelling of the face
• injection site pain
• tiredness
• headache
• muscle pain
• chills
• joint pain
• fever
• injection site swelling
• injection site redness
• nausea
• feeling unwell
• swollen lymph nodes (lymphadenopathy)
• diarrhea
• vomiting
• arm pain

These may not be all the possible side effects of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. Serious and unexpected side effects may occur. Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is still being studied in clinical trials.
Same POSSIBLE side effects for taking most FDA-approved prescription medicines of almost any kind at all.

And the "side effects may occur" is more of a disclaimer than a caveat emptor, that also appears on the patient information of pretty much every prescription drug on the market.

As does the list of possible results of an allergy to the ingredients of the product.

In addition, this is known of ALL vaccines, not just the new ones - that potential side effects will ALWAYS be similar to, but milder than the symptoms of the disease that the vaccines exist to prevent.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:58 AM

My husband and I survived Covid last October (not hospitalized) and still have Covid antibodies. Studies that I’ve researched indicate that T-cell immunity also should work against Covid variants and will most likely trigger a lifetime response against Covid. I will take my God-given immune system and how it works over receiving a vaccine. I respect those who have not had Covid and choose to take a vaccine and believe that respect should work both ways for those of us who choose not to take a vaccine (especially if that person has already had covid and has immunity).
Old 04-20-2021, 08:09 AM
Default Covid Shots

Anxious to see how this largest human trial in history pans out. Hopefully, there will be great data produced that is honestly presented. This is the hoped for long term study.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
Or maybe lots of naive people. I wouldn't call taking an "experimental vaccine" that has caused the death of numerous healthy people and severe symptoms in many others to avoid a virus with a 99% recovery rate, particularly smart. To each his own. Guess i won't be attending any events that "require proof of vaccination".

Trust me, vaccinated people are very happy that the naive people won't be attending these events.
I guess this is where " the whiners" go next.
First they complained they weren't gonna to put "that shot" into their bodies.....now they are all complaining they aren't included. Well, you had a choice-still do. You choose and these are the repercussions....its 100% on you.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

"Masks has been a normal in some parts of the world for decades. No one gives it a second thought. "

Normal??? If you count Muslim countries as "normal" then I guess you may have a point. Some in urban areas of Japan wear masks, but I do not know if that would be considered "normal" for Japan. I have heard of many things in THIS country that are deemed "normal" by a few folks, but not the majority which would define "normal."

The rest of your comparison is not really a valid argument, but I do get what you are suggesting.

And nope, I do not think that I have had the virus in the past year of shopping at many stores. I have lived my life as normal as possible and do wear a mask ONLY where it is posted. I am seriously considering whether I intend to continue to wear one in those places after observing many folks that do not. I know of many folks that have had the virus and shrugged it off easier than a cold, and I am in better shape than them.

As for the post requesting that someone "stay away from me" I have stayed my distance from most people as much as I have been able, for many years. That is my norm. That has been my habit in order to protect myself from other illnesses. But, like I have said several times in the past, it is not up to me to protect anyone else. The responsibility for protection is on the person wishing that protection, not everyone else around that person. If one gets the vaccination and still worries about catching the virus, perhaps they should think about why they bothered to get inoculated to begin with. If a person comes around me that has refused to get vaccinated, it is not up to me to "stay away" from them when they have the choice to be near or not. I take responsibility for myself and only those I choose. It is not a moral, ethical or patriotic imperative that I assume responsibility for someone else's careless behavior. I do believe that I am mostly considerate of others....but not responsible for their welfare.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:43 AM

If you get the vaccine why do u still wear a mask. Fauci has flipped back and forth. People are dying from the vaccine. I personally don't care if you get it or not but its everyone's freedom to choose.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
And this is why it still goes on.

Rather than believing the science, we have bullheaded people who think they are somehow special or immune.

You can lead a horse to water....

Some things you just cannot change. Common sense being one of them I suppose.
STOP!!! Opinions can be stated without insulting the other.
Closed Thread

Tags
vaccinated, map, percentage, villagers, guessing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.